Silent PC Part Recommendations (Mid-2018)

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Derek Semeraro

Silent PC Part Recommendations (Mid-2018)

Post by Derek Semeraro » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:49 pm

For friends that ask what I would recommend in 2018.

Entry Level
CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G or Intel i3-8100
Cooler: Be Quiet Pure Rock Slim
SSD: 250 GB (Crucial MX500)
RAM: 8 GB (2666 MHz)
Fans: Be Quiet Pure Wings 2
Power: Bitfenix Whisper 450w
Case (ITX): SilverStone Sugo SG13B-Q
Case (MATX): Coolermaster MasterBox Lite 3.1

Mid-Range
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5
SSD: 500 GB (Samsung 850)
RAM: 16 GB (2666 MHz)
GPU: GTX 1060 (3 GB)**
Fans: Be Quiet Pure Wings 2
Power: Bitfenix Whisper 450w
Case (ITX): Fractal Design Define Nano S
Case (MATX): Fractal Design Define Meshify C

High-End
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700
Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3
SSD: 1 TB (WD Blue, M.2)
RAM: 16-32 GB (3000 MHz)
GPU: GTX 1070**
Fans: Be Quiet Silent Wings 3
Power: Corsair RMX 650
Case (ITX): NZXT H200i

** Video card prices are currently volatile. Shop around. Good deals can be found in the used market. If these are not choices are economical, consider alternatives. Generally, video cards with two fans (rather than one) and with <150 watt TDP or less are recommended for quiet-ness.

nagi

Re: Silent PC Part Recommendations (Mid-2018)

Post by nagi » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:26 am

I'd add the following:
1. If you want a higher powered card, and have the necessary skills for it, go with an aftermarket aircooler like the Morpheus 2 or the Accelero Xtreme IV. My GTX1080 is a magnitude quieter on full now than it was on idle with the factory FE blower. I usually don't notice it while gaming with speakers. (I've used the Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV previously for my 290X and it was whisper quiet, which is saying something.)

2. Bigger cases in most case mean you can have more fans with lower settings, meaning better and/or quieter airflow. They are also mostly easier to build into, but take up much more space.

Derek Semeraro

Post by Derek Semeraro » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:37 pm

Yes, larger cases do allow for more airflow at slower speeds. Of course, power consumption is also a determining factor.

If building a PC with an overclocked CPU and high-end video cards, you may need larger case with more/larger fans to have both silence and maximum performance.

However, if the build is using energy-efficent CPU's and GPU's, it probably won't produce enough heat for an ITX case to need faster spinning fans.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:40 am

Given the current situation with availability and pricing I'd change your lists to some degree. Given that most aren't very noise sensitive and most computer parts are "low noise" by general standards that part is also toned down.

All:
* RAM should be at least 2666. 3000-3200 is usually the same price as 2666. Lower latency is better if affordable.
* Cooler: Use the provided stock cooler to start with. Replace if required.
* Cases: No firm recommendation. Unless the user has specific requirements/desires I primarily go cheap. Can be replaced later on when there are some more specific requirements to meet.
* Fans: As dictated by the case chosen. Pricing and availability decides make and model.
* PSU: No hard recommendations. Max power rating depends on intended use over time. 80 Plus Bronze rating or better, decent power distribution over leads and connectors.
* Storage: Amount based on intended use, type based on budget.

Entry level:
To make it entry (minimalistic budget) it needs:
Stock cooler.
500 GB - 1 TB HDD.
Cheaper PSU
Cheaper case
One case fan, only if not provided with the case.

For a "useful starter build" that can be allpurpose at a shoestring budget:
Ryzen 5 2400G
Stock cooler
1 TB HDD

Mid-Range
Ryzen 5 2600X, since the X-model, at default settings, will do better in few thread applications than what an overclocked non-X can do.
GPU: GTX 1050 Ti. At least around here (Sweden) those are at a bearable price for now. Next step up would be a GTX 1060 GB at about twice the price.
The 3 GB GTX 1060 is a non starter because that's to little VRAM for most newer games.
Storage: 500 GB SSD only if that's sufficient. (I consider to buy a 500GB SSD to be filled by a portion of my Steam library.)
Otherwise a larger capacity HDD/SSHD, if affordable combined with a smaller SSD for the OS and a few programs.

High End
Again I'd opt for the Ryzen 7 2700X to make use of the faster Turbo frequency and better clock speed management of the 2nd generation Ryzen.

Enzo_FX

Post by Enzo_FX » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:11 am

Would love some reviews. It interests me to know exactly how quiet those cases are compared to what I have. I need objective numbers! haha. I'd also like more focus on ITX stuff as well. I still haven't gone ITX myself for my personal build, but it's all I recommend and use for everything else. I'm still doubtful on these smaller cases for example, if there'd be any trade offs. I'll prob take the leap soon and just judge by myself.

Derek Semeraro

Post by Derek Semeraro » Tue May 01, 2018 7:45 pm

Good tips. Just adding onto them.
Olle P wrote:Given the current situation with availability and pricing I'd change your lists to some degree. Given that most aren't very noise sensitive and most computer parts are "low noise" by general standards that part is also toned down.

All:
* RAM should be at least 2666. 3000-3200 is usually the same price as 2666. Lower latency is better if affordable.
Yes ideally, though there are diminished return. Intel is designed for 2666. Ryzen benefits from more, but 3000-3200 is close to perfect as is.
* Cooler: Use the provided stock cooler to start with. Replace if required.
Yes, start with stock. Though if you want silence and/or overclocking, aftermarket is recommended
* Cases:. Can be replaced later on when there are some more specific requirements to meet.
I think a little extra should be saved up for the case at first. With RAM, fans, and storage, more can be added, but the case you're stuck with.

Entry level:
To make it entry (minimalistic budget) it needs:
500 GB - 1 TB HDD.
If anything, start with a SSD. A 240 GB SSD can be had for $60 online. A hard drive can be added in the future, but moving the entire OS from one drive to another is a time-consuming hassle.
Cheaper PSU
Yes. High end PSU's aren't necessary. Quality control is better nowadays. As long as its from a reputable company and has good reviews. However, if silence is a concern, perhaps spending some more on a quieter PSU is a good idea. While a PSU can be modded, it can be a hassle and it voids warranty.

For a "useful starter build" that can be allpurpose at a shoestring budget:
Ryzen 5 2400G
2200G is better bang for buck, but 2400G is also a good deal.
Warning: many AM4 motherboards are NOT compatible with 2000-series Ryzen out of the box.

Mid-Range
Ryzen 5 2600X, since the X-model, at default settings, will do better in few thread applications than what an overclocked non-X can do.
Non-X versions can be overclocked to have the same performance. But 2600X is overclocked out the box.
Depends on what the consumer values more: 1-2 hours of their time or $30.

The 3 GB GTX 1060 is a non starter because that's to little VRAM for most newer games.
Not necessarily. More VRAM helps but only if the GPU processor can put out enough information for the VRAM to hold. The 6 GB is definitely better, but only modestly.

High End
Again I'd opt for the Ryzen 7 2700X to make use of the faster Turbo frequency and better clock speed management of the 2nd generation Ryzen.
Yes, Ryzen 7 is the best high-end for the money. It's a bit cheaper, has more cores for longevity and comes with a decent cooler rather than none.

Enzo_FX

Post by Enzo_FX » Mon May 07, 2018 11:42 pm

The Meshify's size is attractive. Also it's aesthetics. I'm rocking an FT-05 and though I like the layout I'd like to go smaller, which the Meshify is. The FT-05 only loses out because it has extra space for the cables up top and an intake area below. It's otherwise very similar in the interior. I will however lose out on any silencing features.

But that's where more efficient components come into play right?
1st. No HDD's. One single TB SSD.
2nd. Will continue to use my Strix 970 card as it's inaudible most of the time.
3rd. Went with a Ryzen 2700, it's 65W =) I don't need to OC, ram is at 2966, all I can do I believe.
4th. Only really leaves fan configuration and PSU which is pretty old, regardless I know there are lots of options with fan off modes at low loads, and as far as case fans, I'd go with Noctua.

but just a bit worried. Never have personally used such an open case. Maybe I'll catch some air flow noises or maybe the lighter case is more prone to vibrations...

I do feel I can hear the airflow coming out up top on the ft-05, will I hear it at the front of the meshify C and back? I booted the other day without case fans and it was very noticeable (While the case was open). So like I said, a bit worried I'll notice similar noises from a more open case.