It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Is there a way to do this?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:39 am
Posts: 17
Currently sitting in blissful silence.

because I am using no fans again, after a weekend of gaming with my 690 gtx vacuum cleaner even at idle.

I am thinking of doing the following

sell 690

Buy something like 1060 6GB which does 0DB idle mode, and then change fan curves to make it even quieter, maybe even fit a morpheous II cooler and some PWM fans

Which leads on to

Change all my fans (2 intake, 1 exhaust, both fans on the DH14 cooler) to PWM

Wire them into a fan controller.

Have the controller either turn them all off at idle or light use, and then automatically turn on during gaming.

Or have the fan controller allow me to manually turn them off at idle or light use, then manually turn them on during gaming. Preferable via software.

Is this possible?

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there a way to do this?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:22 pm
Posts: 3333
Location: Guatemala
thesmileyone wrote:
sell 690

Buy something like 1060 6GB which does 0DB idle mode, and then change fan curves to make it even quieter, maybe even fit a morpheous II cooler and some PWM fans
Most of the GTX1060 are very quiet, specially MSI i would recommend, i even tried a MSI GTX1070Ti a couple of weeks ago, and i never could hear it, by this im not implying is silent, just that my ambient noise was higher than what the card releases.

thesmileyone wrote:
Is this possible?
Yes, but depends on what you own. Motherboard fan control is very good on latest iteration of mobos, old ones depends on which, some can do voltage control, others can do pwm, others can do both, and in some cases they are not controllable. Asus and MSI are solid from sandy bridge, but both have limitations depending on the motherboard, would be great if you could post what you own or planning on using.

thesmileyone wrote:
Wire them into a fan controller.

Have the controller either turn them all off at idle or light use, and then automatically turn on during gaming.
Its not very likely you will be able to do this with an external fan controller. Although you could go with something like Corsair link that its a hybrid controller as its external to the motherboard but manage by software, i personally don't like it, but its more my personal opinion.

thesmileyone wrote:
have the fan controller allow me to manually turn them off at idle or light use, then manually turn them on during gaming.
This is how most of the good fan controllers work. I have since moved to Bios fan control but there are conditions to be able to.

thesmileyone wrote:
Change all my fans (2 intake, 1 exhaust, both fans on the DH14 cooler) to PWM
Before you commit to any fan, decide on how you going to control them, there are good 3pin (and more common) and also good 4pin PWM (less options). Either way, i prefer PWM mostly out of the convenience of powering multiple fans with a single PWM splitter and grabbing power from the PSU, if i were to only have 2 or 3 fans, i probably wouldn't care as much between 3pin or 4pin, but it would go more into what my motherboard can control.

_________________
GameMi - Intel i7 8700K + AsRock Z370 Tachi + Asus RTX2080Ti Strix | MiniMi - Intel i7 8700K + ASRock Z370ITX + MSI RTX2080Ti
StreaMi - Intel i9 7940X + AsRock X299 Taichi + Asus GTX1080Ti Strix | WorkMi - AMD 1950X + AsRock X399 Taichi + MSI GTX1080
ServeMi - Intel Xeon E3-1230 + Supermicro X9SCM-F + 144TB | StoreMi - Intel Xeon E3 1240v5 + Supermicro X11SSM-F + 42TB | CamMi - Intel i7 4770K + MSI H81i + Blue Iris


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there a way to do this?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:29 am
Posts: 1642
Location: UK
thesmileyone wrote:
...Buy something like 1060 6GB which does 0DB idle mode, and then change fan curves to make it even quieter, maybe even fit a morpheous II cooler and some PWM fans ...Change all my fans (2 intake, 1 exhaust, both fans on the DH14 cooler) to PWM ...Have the controller either turn them all off at idle or light use, and then automatically turn on during gaming.
This is possible with a card like the Asus GTX 1060 6GB ROG STRIX GAMING OC that features Asus FanConnect. FanConnect is two PWM fan headers on the graphics card that can be connected to system fans that will then turn on/off with the graphics card fans. So in 0DB mode the card fans would not run and neither would any fans connected to the FanConnect headers. With more than two system fans a PWM Y connector cable could be used so that all the system fans would be graphics card controlled.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there a way to do this?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:39 am
Posts: 17
lodestar wrote:
thesmileyone wrote:
...Buy something like 1060 6GB which does 0DB idle mode, and then change fan curves to make it even quieter, maybe even fit a morpheous II cooler and some PWM fans ...Change all my fans (2 intake, 1 exhaust, both fans on the DH14 cooler) to PWM ...Have the controller either turn them all off at idle or light use, and then automatically turn on during gaming.
This is possible with a card like the Asus GTX 1060 6GB ROG STRIX GAMING OC that features Asus FanConnect. FanConnect is two PWM fan headers on the graphics card that can be connected to system fans that will then turn on/off with the graphics card fans. So in 0DB mode the card fans would not run and neither would any fans connected to the FanConnect headers. With more than two system fans a PWM Y connector cable could be used so that all the system fans would be graphics card controlled.

That would be perfect!

Motherboard is asrock z68 gen4. It has fan control but it doesnt work, you just set to 5 desired speed levels, I have it on the quietest but whether I run it on that or the loudest all the fans spin at the same rate. All my fans are 3 pins and the sockets are 4 pin ones.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there a way to do this?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:22 pm
Posts: 3333
Location: Guatemala
thesmileyone wrote:
Motherboard is asrock z68 gen4. It has fan control but it doesnt work, you just set to 5 desired speed levels, I have it on the quietest but whether I run it on that or the loudest all the fans spin at the same rate. All my fans are 3 pins and the sockets are 4 pin ones.
Im guessing your D14 was the old one that came with 3pin fans? have you ever tested a 4pin fan with the motherboard? even the intel CPU cooler is 4pin pwm. Btw sockets on that gen dont mean they are PWM, you need to test them to see if you can control PWM fans, maybe you still have the intel CPU cooler that came with your CPU, thats a 4pin PWM fan, so you can test all the headers (one by one) to see if you can control them.

Now loadstar idea is pretty good though, specially since its not yet known if your motherboard can control PWM fans. If you were to follow this route my suggestion would be either two options,

For both options buy a 4pin PWM splitter, it will be safer as it grabs power from the PSU and just the signal from the GPU, my suggestion is GeLid CA-PWM-03 1-to-4 4pin PWM Fan Power Splitter or Swiftech 8W-PWM-SPL-ST 8 Way PWM Splitter-Sata, get a 4pin PWM extension and send the the Asus GTX1060 Strix signal to the PWM splitter.

Now for the fans here you could go either two routes,

1) Stopping the fans
You need to get fans that will work with 0% PWM, BeQuiet BL066 120mm or BeQuiet BL067 140mm both can be stopped. For the CPU, i would recommend not to get a fan that can be stopped, but one that spins very low even at 0% PWM to keep your cpu from spiking, so Thermalright TY-147B would be ideal for the NH-D14. If you want to stop the CPU fan, you need to get one that can be stopped under 0% pwm, Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM can stop and will mount fine on the D14.

2) Not stopping the fans
Instead of the BeQuiets, if you case allow 140mm fans i would go with Thermalrigth TY147ASQ (wait for them to be back in stock from nansgaming) for case fans and TY147B for the NH-D14. All TY147 fans will idle around 350rpms when the GPU is below the 55C (when its sending 0% pwm).

_________________
GameMi - Intel i7 8700K + AsRock Z370 Tachi + Asus RTX2080Ti Strix | MiniMi - Intel i7 8700K + ASRock Z370ITX + MSI RTX2080Ti
StreaMi - Intel i9 7940X + AsRock X299 Taichi + Asus GTX1080Ti Strix | WorkMi - AMD 1950X + AsRock X399 Taichi + MSI GTX1080
ServeMi - Intel Xeon E3-1230 + Supermicro X9SCM-F + 144TB | StoreMi - Intel Xeon E3 1240v5 + Supermicro X11SSM-F + 42TB | CamMi - Intel i7 4770K + MSI H81i + Blue Iris


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group