Any notebook P4s supported by desktop chipsets/mobos?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MikeC
Site Admin

Any notebook P4s supported by desktop chipsets/mobos?

Post by MikeC » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:47 pm

In the middle of a review on a P4-based Mini-ITX integrated board (!!), this question looms huge. I have scoured Intel as well as a number of usual suspect tech sites, but have not come across a clear answer. Here is the question again:

There are several P4 mobile variants --
1) Centrino-based Pentium M
2) Mobile Pentium 4 (???)
3) Mobile Pentium 4 Processor - M (I refer to this one as P4-M)

I have not confirmed this for sure, but it looks like all are using 478-pin Micro FCPGA chip packaging (???)

My question is whethere any desktop motherboards support any of these mobile P4s. If so, please post links & details. Sooner I get this answer, the faster the review gores up. :wink:

Metaluna

Re: Any notebook P4s supported by desktop chipsets/mobos?

Post by Metaluna » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:37 pm

MikeC wrote: My question is whethere any desktop motherboards support any of these mobile P4s. If so, please post links & details. Sooner I get this answer, the faster the review gores up. :wink:
Someone posted a link to Pentium-M (Banias) motherboards on this very forum not too long ago. Here is the link:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=7005

There are also a number of manufacturers in the embedded processor market that make Pentium-M and Pentium4-M boards in various form factors. Nexcom is one:

http://webserver.nexcom.com.tw/0330/nex ... d*10000231

http://webserver.nexcom.com.tw/0330/nex ... d*10000090

BTW, I don't think the Pentium-M is a P4 variant. It is supposed to be a new ground-up redesign.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:57 pm

Metaluna - thanks for the quick response. :)

So it looks like there are a few Pentium M mobos for desktop, but nothing for P4-M?

Here's a key question: The P4-M is supported by the Intel 845MP and 845MZ chipsets. There are many desktop variants of the 845: Will any of them support the P4-M? And are there any desktop form factor mobos that support P4-M now? I don't mean special boards like M-ITX, but full atx or micro-atx or flex-atx -- the established standards.

EDIT -- I suspect the P4 and P4-M are interchangeable but want to have more assurance than a couple of off-handed comments here & there. Note too, this line from Nexcom's page about the P4-478 EBC-575 "network appliance engine" board:
Socket 478 for Intel® Pentium® 4-M/Intel® Pentium® 4 processor...
This suggest these CPUs are interchangeable - or is that only for this mobo?

Can anyone confirm?

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:39 pm

The pentium 4-M is the P4 architecture, with low voltage and power saving modes out the wazoo. The Pentium M is a unique architecture, a mix of P4 and P3, with efficiency optimizations out the wazoo.

Its doubtful that a board would support both, but I can't give a for sure response.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:43 pm

Zhentar, the Pentium M is out of the picture altogether. My focus now is on the Pentium 4 Mobile or P4-M. The Nexcom board supports both P4-M and the desktop P4. Do any other board do this?

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:50 pm

Ah, okay. I think most boards should support both; they are the same processor except for a few options. However, whether speedstep, the low voltage, and halt stuff will be supported is questionable; but I have to question whether that will even work with a mobile board without software support.

So, I think that you'd just end up with a very undervoltable P4

jojo4u

Post by jojo4u » Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:41 am

I will bring some light into this topic.

There are 3 processors intended for mobile use:
-------
Pentium - M -- new design, needs special chipset, only available as ITX mobo for desktop use, yet

------
The following two are compatible with the Pentium 4. You can put them on every motherboard. Of course, undervoltable motherboards are best.

Pentium 4M -- P4 design, more reduced voltage, Speedstep

Mobile Pentium 4-C -- P4 design, reduced voltage

----

For eletrical specifications, take a look at http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm. Heading: Mobile Intel Pentium 4M and mobile Pentium 4 (Northwood)

I've read some articles, where people used Pentium 4M and a Athlon XP mobile in deskop boards.

Some links here in the forum:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... ium+mobile
EDIT: please read Ralf Hutter's post from 30th may in this thread .

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... ium+mobile

jojo4u

Post by jojo4u » Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:04 am

Just

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:16 am

jojo4u -- Thank you. I am properly chagrined. :oops: The answers were all there waiting for me to pluck in my own back yard, courtesy of all the smart & informed people who hang out here. 8)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:04 pm

No prob Mike, we're here to help all the newbs! :D

lacsap
Friend of SPCR

Post by lacsap » Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:09 am

For the record, I run a P4M 1.8 on a desktop board (s-478). It works fine, no problem. The only catch is that all the P4M will default to 1.2 ghz. But I don't mind, since I got it cheap on eBay and don't need that much power on my HTPC. Low heat and noise are more important.

Lacsap :-)