Cooling performance vs. quietness - Isn't there a trade off?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gyver

Post by gyver » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

I am new to the PC world. I stumbled on this website by accident. I am glad I did! I come from the world of 12v mobile electronics. (Car audio, security, wireless communication) I am a master installer with 15 years in the field. As a GM in Houston I spent countless hours finding solutions to many types of problems. I have designed bullit proof air cooling systems for 2000 watt plus car audio amplifiers that ran so HOT you could cook steaks on them. That is a bit of my background. So when I was recently bitten by the PC bug (actually it was a monster!) I jumped on the web and began reading anything and everything about PCs. At tomshardware.com there was an article posted on how to find the perfect PC case. It was loaded with info! After reading it I took my PC apart.... all the way. (First time too... scary) I was convinced that I needed massive cooling BUT I did not want a LOUD PC. So the custom installer in me came out. I designed a new air cooling system. My goal was to achieve high CFM without hign noise. Not only have I accomplished this I am discussing my design with a couple of PC manufacturers. I even rebuilt the power supply to run silent. What absolutely bothers me is that all the mainstream manufacturers make these fancy PC cases with "cool" stuff but go about it in the same old fassion. Fan on the PS, on the front, back and maybe side/top. The latest trend is speed control fans. The idea of taking loud blade style fans and tuning them down is a compromise at best. The trade off is performance for quietness. To gain one you lose the other, which equals zero gain! I am running over 325 CFM through my case at a noise level that is half as loud as the original power supply fan, which was the only fan I had on the PC other than the CPU fan. This was done using parts that were purchased at my local PC shop. My question is why do case manufacturers continue to travel the same road as always when it comes to air cooling the cases? There is a winning solution. There is a better way. What is the big deal?
<BR> If you have a comment please reply. I just want to know what your perspective is on this subject. Thank you. GYVER
[addsig]

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

>>>I am running over 325 CFM through my case
<br>
<br>Wow. That is a LOT of airflow. I'd be surprised if it didn't sound like a hurricane to me. Don't think I have more than 20 cfm through my overclocked P4 w/ 2 drives. The CPU runs ~40C to ~55C max in normal usage. It is very quiet, almost inaudible in my quiet home office.
<br>
<br>What are the details of your system?
[addsig]

shane1800

Post by shane1800 » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

I think this market niche is still relatively new and small compared to normal computer users. I have never heard a PC user mention the sound of their computer as a buying factor. This keeps manufacturers from focusing on doing anything really cool for silencing computers since they are busy focusing on more important items. It's also hard for people to be innovative and take a new look at how something is done. Silenced PSU’s are so boring and innovative it surprises me. There must be a way to not use a fan, maybe a copper case used also as a heat sink etc. Please tell us how you designed your PC, or at least how you silenced your PSU.
[addsig]