It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:07 pm 

Yeah, I guess sticking a 3 pin connector on the end of that thing probably isn't too tough (key word probably; I've obviously never done it before), but would that make it so I couldn't plug it back into the card again? And would there even be a point? If it's only two wires does it even have the right connections to allow it to be controlled by the controller?

Or do I even have to change the plug? It looks like there's no plastic between the pins on the controller or even the cables that come with the Vantec. Couldn't I just plug the 2-pin plug into a 3-pin plug and just leave the extra pin bare? If the two wires are enough to control the fan then wouldn't the extra pin be irrelevant anyway? Even if I swap the 2-pin plug for a 3-pin one it'll still just be 2 wires. That is, if this will work. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:12 pm 
*Lifetime Patron*

You're right, I forgot there are 2 types of 2pin plugs... The type you have will fit, the 2pin type that usually comes with a Panaflo L1A does not fit. You don't need to cut, adapt or anything and if you do need to adapt, a standard 3 pin to 3 pin extension cord will work perfectly.

I swapped out the fan in my PSU for a quieter L1A and the fan I removed is the 2 pin you have. It fits into a 3 pin extension cord.

The 2 pins are for fan power and the third for RPM. 3 pins may have RPM, 2 pins don't, 4 pins don't. However, there are combo plugs with a 3 pin splitting off to allow for RPM measurements. That's the general gist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:48 pm 

If the third pin (which I don't have) is for RPMs, then does that mean I can't control the RPMs with the controller? Or just that I can't get reports on the number of RPMs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:05 pm 
*Lifetime Patron*

sctakeshi wrote:
If the third pin (which I don't have) is for RPMs, then does that mean I can't control the RPMs with the controller? Or just that I can't get reports on the number of RPMs?

You just won't be able to get reports on the number of RPMs