ATTN US Readers: Support SPCR with your purchases.

Site announcements, news, stuff you should read. Start here.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

ATTN US Readers: Support SPCR with your purchases.

Post by sthayashi » Thu May 12, 2005 9:52 pm

MikeC, SPCR's founder, has had this feature for some time now, but is too modest to make mention of this.

SPCR has a shopping engine which is a front-end for Pricegrabber. Personally, I like Pricegrabber, as it usually returns the best prices for reasonably trustworthy vendors. The best part though, is that you can enter your zipcode and it will tell you the best price after shipping. Other engines have started to do this too, but I feel that pricegrabber is still one of the best out there.

Anyways, here's the important part: If you use the above link (it's on the left side of every article) or just: http://silentpcreview.pricegrabber.com, and make a purchase using them, SPCR gets a cut.

This is a powerful way to support SPCR. Just by shopping online like most of us do, you can help support SPCR. Pricegrabber has a LOT of products that are searchable on the site. I've personally used it in the past to help me find a good deal on a Laser Printer (Brother HL-5170DN) and a Digital Camera (Canon A95), not to mention most of the hardware that I've purchased in the last couple years.

Even if you don't trust many online vendors and will only shop at NewEgg or a select other few, you can use the same search engine to find the product, buy through NewEgg, and STILL support SPCR at the same time.

So what are you waiting for? Help support SPCR with your next online purchase NOW.

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Thu May 19, 2005 3:10 pm

I think this is a fantastic idea and one that everyone should use. Even if you have found the cheapest site already through google or just checking your fave sites come back and see if that site is listed in the search.

I wish it worked for the UK also. I did notice in the Maxtor 10/Hitachi HD review recently that clicking "buy this product" took me to a UK vendor which was cool. Shame I'm happy with my Samsung NIDECs though!

EDIT: Actually I need to register then it may let me go through UK sites.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Thu May 19, 2005 9:37 pm

Bump for this thread. Can't believe I haven't noticed it before.

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Fri May 20, 2005 2:01 am

Jordan wrote:EDIT: Actually I need to register then it may let me go through UK sites.
Any luck?

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Fri May 20, 2005 6:51 am

Not tried it, in no rush till I'm actually ready to buy something.

I hate to put a possible downer on this but I REALLY don't like having to register. I study E-Business and I know how these companies make money by tracking your shopping habbits etc. OK almost all sites do this and few will tell you they are doing it but having to sign up with an email addess makes me think twice (due to spam etc) and the fact most of these companies make money SELLING on these details or using them for advertising. I'll read the privacy policy/terms and conditions when I get time and see if it's something I want to sign up for.

Then again my business/shopping email account (yahoo) I keep completely seperate from my personal account so getting spam mail to it doesn't matter too much. Got the spam filter trained pretty well on that Yahoo account now too. Catches about 90-95% of spam and more improtantly has put through 0 wanted email as spam.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat May 21, 2005 9:05 am

Jordan wrote:
Then again my business/shopping email account (yahoo) I keep completely seperate from my personal account so getting spam mail to it doesn't matter too much. Got the spam filter trained pretty well on that Yahoo account now too. Catches about 90-95% of spam and more improtantly has put through 0 wanted email as spam.
That's exactly what I do too, so I say let 'em bomb me with spam and follow me all over the internet. If they want to track "[email protected]", they are more than welcome to.

vinylvision

Multi-Item Purchase SPCR Pricegrabber Credit ?

Post by vinylvision » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:49 am

For SPCR to get pricegrabber-usa credit for multi-item newegg purchases, do I have to do a separate pricegragger search (and separate purchase) for each item or can I do just the initial search, select newegg, then add items to the newegg order without going thur pricegrabber again each time? I am preparing an order for 7 to 10 items and would like for SPCR to get credit for the entire newegg order. How is this accounplished?

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:03 pm

I want to support SPCR, but could see myself forgetting to use the search bar at the bottom of the forums when I go to purchase a part. So I actually added the PriceGrabber through SPCR engine to the search tab on FireFox, just as a little reminder.

Thought you guys might be interested in doing something similar. If so, I can post up how.

pixelfairy

Post by pixelfairy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:18 pm

So how you do you shop at newegg etc and make sure spcr gets the credit for it?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:23 pm

You use the PriceGrabber link to get to NewEgg.