Recommended Heatsinks updated

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
doyll

Re: Recommended Heatsinks updated

Post by doyll » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:52 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
doyll wrote:Simple convection airflow between fins does occur if they are oriented vertically

You can't assume that when any forced airflow is present, because any stack effect at that scale, with those dimensions is extremely small.

doyll wrote:I did not run Linpack/Prime

And I already understood so: nonetheless that was the failing condition in SPCR test, so for comparison purposes you should perform the same test.

doyll wrote:But this is a side-track

Though I beg to differ: you can't assume that, unless the cooler performed differently in the very same test.
I'm sorry Luca, but I'm not interested discussing how my old system did what it did or why. I am trying to find systems out more about other passive cooling systems using large top tier air coolers / heatsinks.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:00 pm

doyll wrote:I'm sorry Luca, but I'm not interested discussing how my old system did what it did or why. I am trying to find systems out more about other passive cooling systems using large top tier air coolers / heatsinks.
I'm afraid you're just looking for someone who agree with your thoughts.

pierre_spcr

Post by pierre_spcr » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:47 am

Hello,

What CPU cooler (low noise / reasonable price) would you recommend for an i7-6700.
My case (bought in 2011) is a fractal design define mini, micro atx
The motherboard will certainly be Asus B150M-C

Thank you

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:34 am

Welcome to SPCR. The Define Mini spec say it can fit up to a 160mm cooler. In actuality, you can go a bit beyond that. The Scythe Kotetsu is a great 160mm high cooler.

doyll

Post by doyll » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:42 am

pierre_spcr wrote:Hello,

What CPU cooler (low noise / reasonable price) would you recommend for an i7-6700.
My case (bought in 2011) is a fractal design define mini, micro atx
The motherboard will certainly be Asus B150M-C

Thank you
Scythe Kotetsu is indeed a very good cooler.

Where do you live and how much do you want t spend?
A link to where you might buy online would be helpful too.

pierre_spcr

Post by pierre_spcr » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:58 am

Thank's for those quick answers.

I live in France and will buy online on shops such as amazon.fr or other well known websites.
The Scythe Kotetsu is sold under 50€ witch is ok for me if it's a good and quiet cooler.
I will make some search on it, and also make sure it will fit my case.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:35 am

From the SPCR review of the Define Mini:
There was about 9 mm of space above the Noctua NH-U12P CPU heatsink (with the foam of the side ModuVent compressed) making total clearance about 16.7 cm.

pierre_spcr

Post by pierre_spcr » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:54 am

I had some time this week-end to make some measurements. As theory says, it should fit.

I ordered the rad. I will post an update within 15 to 20 days after I have received the other components and assembled the computer.

Thank's for your help.

-pk-

Post by -pk- » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:05 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
MikeC wrote:Data for D14 comes from... http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1020-page6.html

Then it shouldn't apply, Mike, as the table title says "Tested on OC'd 130W TDP 1366 i7": if I'm not wrong the data you linked are referred to stock settings (no OC).

There's a minor, similar issue with the Prolimatech Genesis data, the figures should refer to the setup with 2 x Prolimatech Red Vortex 14 LED, so that they shouldn't apply as in the beginning of the article there's written: "We prefer to assess the cooling power of the heatsink with a quiet reference fan... There are exceptions with units that are designed with the specific fan as part and parcel of the package" (and the exception should not be the case of any Prolimatech heatsink, which doesn't bundle any fan).

Thanks in advance for your understanding in the matter.
I agree. The OC listed in the faq section should be changed to default clock because that is what the data in the table represents. I was looking to cool a xeon x5670 with mild overclock at under 20dBa, and the difference between those being OC results and default clock means that I should either double what I was going to spend or buy something like the Ninja 4.