Recommended Heatsinks updated

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:24 pm

dhanson865 wrote:Oh and in case I didn't make it clear. You do realize that the Ninja Copper isn't on the recommended heat sink page don't you?

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article30-page1.html search for Ninja Copper and the only place you'll see it mentioned is in the comment block for the Scythe Ninja+ Rev B.

It's totally up to you if you don't want it to be a recommended heat sink. I'm just asking if that was intentional or not?
It's intentional. I don't recommend it because I distrust the mounting system, which is not easily adapted for any kind of real through the board bolt mounting, it's way too heavy, and there are better choices at lower prices. Why bother with it?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:56 pm

Since AMD has different moutning system, is there any change that SPCR might get AMD test rig besides current Intel one. The AMD's clip system seems to be better than Intel's push-pins on Ninja and other tover coolers but probably doesn't beat Ninja in bolt-thru kit.

It would be nice to see eventually AMD and Intel test rigs. Of course its fully understandeable that it would delay heatsink reviews and would cost more so it might not be doable for various reasons... or be beneficial.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:24 pm

thejamppa wrote:Since AMD has different moutning system, is there any change that SPCR might get AMD test rig besides current Intel one. The AMD's clip system seems to be better than Intel's push-pins on Ninja and other tover coolers but probably doesn't beat Ninja in bolt-thru kit.

It would be nice to see eventually AMD and Intel test rigs. Of course its fully understandeable that it would delay heatsink reviews and would cost more so it might not be doable for various reasons... or be beneficial.
Agreed, an AM2 test rig would make our testing even more complete. We'll try and make the change some time in the future after the other major upgrades to our test setups are done (ie -- anechoic chamber.) In general, the AM2 mounting systems we've seen are better than 775 ones. If a clip is used, there's usually plenty of tension and it's quite secure, so unless the HS is very heavy, we have no issues. The biggest hitch with AM2 mounts is that because it's not symmetrical like 775, which direction the fan points becomes very important -- most (well, many, anyway) AM2 mounting kits w/HS don't allow rotation. AFAIK, AM2 sockets appear to be aligned north-south rather than east-west on most motherboards.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:48 pm

Thanks for swift reply Mike. its good to know that some changes are comming to make tests more complete. Soon SPCR tests can become even better. Thank you.

Holy-Fire
Friend of SPCR

Post by Holy-Fire » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:01 pm

It looks like there have been some mix-ups with the June 24 update. The new "Apack ZeroTherm Zen FZ120" entry links to the ZeroTherm butterfly. The new "Noctua NH-U12" entry should have read "Noctua NH-C12P", and it links to the ZeroTherm Zen.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:23 pm

Holy-Fire wrote:It looks like there have been some mix-ups with the June 24 update. The new "Apack ZeroTherm Zen FZ120" entry links to the ZeroTherm butterfly. The new "Noctua NH-U12" entry should have read "Noctua NH-C12P", and it links to the ZeroTherm Zen.
yup. fixed now.

colm

Post by colm » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:03 pm

Thanks for the great list. It is the reason my machine runs what ot does for cooling.I have been running xp90 on a prescott and accelero (I recently found to be #1 on spcr reviews), I have no doubts about the testing and list. "no bias" just facts is the way to go..
I have been donating to spcr folding team as a result. thanks spcr, sincerely. I lost one cpu 7 years ago...been a "silent vengeance" ever since. :roll:

oldabelincoln

Post by oldabelincoln » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:52 pm

The table has the following comment about the Thermalright HR01+:

"HR-01X variant with different hardware allows free rotation of mounting position on AM2 for correct fan position."

However, the Thermalright web site http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/ ... hr01x.html shows it as a variant for Xeons, with the following as the only statement on compatibility:

"Motherboard Compatibilities

Intel Xeon : 5000 Series,7000 Series. (Socket 603,Socket 604,Socket 771)

Support Duo Core, Quad Core Processors

For AMD Socket F processors (3U/4U) you need to buy 939 Bolt thru kit for your HR-01X "

Can someone please clarify?

DaveSimmons

Post by DaveSimmons » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:27 pm

The ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro is cheap, light and popular (1,885 customer ratings at newegg) but isn't good enough to be recommended. It might be helpful to have a "not quite recommended" section where you list rough ratings for popular heatsinks like this with a sentence to explain why each didn't make the cut.

The Zalman 7000alcu has a $5 adapter for using it on socket 775. I'm sure I'm not the only one with existing 7000s from 478 and 939 systems, I'd love to see this tested to see how it compares to the intel stock cooler for core 2 CPUs. I doubt it's a 7 for 775, but is it better than stock?

jaythorn

Post by jaythorn » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:11 am

Just curious -- is there any way to view these sorted by size (other than sorting them myself)? A lot of them seem giant :)

casebuyer

Post by casebuyer » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:55 am

how about

Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 6 (Rev.2) and Arctic Cooling Accelero X1

are they any better than nv silencer 5 or Accelero S1

also which heatsinks support nvidia quadro fx 370 series

and does quadro series need silencing
Last edited by casebuyer on Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

oldabelincoln

Post by oldabelincoln » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:16 pm

I'm contemplating building an HTPC based on the 780G or 790GX (when it comes out) chipset, which of course means an AM2-compatible heat sink

Some of the AM2 units in the Recommended list have orientation limitations (i.e., can only be mounted in one direction), and it appears that the TR HR01 Plus may also need to be lapped to work correctly with an AM2 CPU (see viewtopic.php?t=48936).

Given these limitations, it would be very useful if the list could include some sort of compatibility rating for AM2 - rated units. We need to distinguish between units that work well with one type of CPU, but poorly with another.

Perhaps an additional column or two?

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:41 pm

The vast majority of CPU heatsinks come with almost the exact same same K8 clip which always goes on the "wrong way". I've done most of the CPU heatsink reviews for the past year or so and the only tower heatsinks I've come across with proper AM2 mounting are the HR-01 Plus and Noctua NH-U12P (and I suppose the Scythe Ninja/Mini, but only because it's an almost completely symmetrical design, so there is no "proper" orientation).

casebuyer

Post by casebuyer » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:43 am

will you review titan amanda they say it is very quiet especially while cpu overclocked

ninja II is out

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/hard ... u-kuehler/

http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cp ... nja-2.html

[quote]Improved Performance

Performance improvement has accomplished for this version 2 as 5% performance increase in fanless operation (TDP 65W at 25°/77F ambient temperature) and 15% performance increase in active cooling operation (TDP 130W at 25°/77F ambient temperature). Fin shape and fin pitch have been also modified to maximize the performance yet making the total dimension and weight to be compact like the former version.

Specially Tuned Scythe “Slip Streamâ€
Last edited by casebuyer on Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doveman

Post by doveman » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:55 pm

I note the Scythe Zipang is only shown as compatible with AM2 and 775, whereas it also fits 478.

casebuyer

Post by casebuyer » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:37 am

How About Scythe OROCHI Shuriken and Ninja II

Mats

Post by Mats » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:37 pm

The AM2, AM2+ and the AM3 uses the same mounting mechanism since they're all the same physically (except pin count), something that not everyone knows who look at the recommended list for the first time.
The list only mentions AM2.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:01 pm

DaveSimmons wrote:The Zalman 7000alcu has a $5 adapter for using it on socket 775.
In case you didn't know, ZALMAN is producing a new variant of the CNPS-7000 dubbed CNPS-7000C. It comes with the good old plastic mounting kit ZALMAN is known for. I ordered the new variant and also the ZM-CS1 clip support you talked about. I said hey 3€ isn't much, so if it doesn't work I'll just throw it away. It turned out that the ZM-CS1 is exactly the same as the plastic mounting kit for Socket 775 from ZALMAN. Yes it's 100% compatible with all Socket 775 ZALMANs, not only CNPS-7000A/B.

From my own experience, you should ALWAYS buy the ZM-CS1 if you buy a Socket 775 ZALMAN CPU cooler. It provides a much much tighter fight and is much lower in height than the normal plastic mounting kit from ZALMAN. Also, there's no backplate which makes it more compatible with different Intel motherboards.

And now to the comment if it beats the Intel stock cooler. IT SURE DOES! My Core 2 Duo was idling at around 48C with the Intel stock cooler running at around 1500RPM using the Silent Profile in my BIOS (it's a PWM fan in that cooler). Not only did it produce noticeable and slightly loud sound, it also made a whining sound. Now my CNPS-7000C has its fan undervolted to approx. 5.5V and it's running at around 1000RPM. The Core 2 Duo is currently idling while I'm writing this at 39C and compared to the Intel stock cooler the ZALMAN is nearly inaudible (to my ear*).

* I'm turning 17 in summer ;)

casebuyer

Post by casebuyer » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:57 pm

this article doesnt even have thermalright ifx-14

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Post by shleepy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:26 pm

casebuyer wrote:this article doesnt even have thermalright ifx-14
Well, it wasn't even reviewed officially by SPCR, was it?

Plekto

Post by Plekto » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:37 pm

I ran across one review of the IFX-14 that used it passively *and* aligned with the opening facing the rear fan. And it was by far the best passive design that they had tested when it was set up this way.(basically the huge middle opening allows loads of air to blow past the two towers(since the area in the center is where the heat would naturally concentrate)

Most reviews try to cram a fan in the middle or mount the opening towards the power supply intake fan. And the thing isn't so good with a fan, because it really should be mounted on the end straddling the two "towers". Tthe secondary mini backside "tower" isn't actually required and can't fit with the thing aligned as I suggest. But as such, it's pretty good as the towers are long - and go almost to the exhaust fan.(about 1 inch from it)

The only problem with it is that it's huge.

Emyr

Post by Emyr » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:29 am

Hi,

Will this article get an i7 update sometime soon?

Cheers.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:46 am

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:33 am

No Core Contact Freezer? :cry:

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:54 am

Ch0z3n wrote:No Core Contact Freezer? :cry:
"Core contact"? As in: "Remove the CPU's heat spreader before mounting the heatsink."?
I've never seen any of those...

Anyway, I see the Ninja 2 is now on the list, which is fine, but the review of that heatsink still doesn't feature my additional comments about mounting on AMD sockets...

Cheers
Olle

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:10 pm

Olle P wrote:"Core contact"? As in: "Remove the CPU's heat spreader before mounting the heatsink."?
I've never seen any of those...

Cheers
Olle
Haha, not quite

Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:20 pm

Ch0z3n wrote:
Ch0z3n wrote:No Core Contact Freezer? :cry:
Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer
Until you see a review in http://www.silentpcreview.com/section11.html you won't see the product rated in the recommended list.

deruberhanyok

Post by deruberhanyok » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:22 am

Any chance the updated Shuriken Rev. B (SCSK-1100) is on the list to be reviewed, Mike? It's so short, it seems to be perfect for a number of smaller cases. I for one would love to see it put through the paces.

sonic6k

Post by sonic6k » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:38 am

I am just about to buy the Scythe Mugen 2, and although I have read the SPCR review I would still like to see it listed in the recommended heatsinks article. There is only the original Mugen, how about adding Mugen 2? Thank you.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:56 am

sonic6k wrote:I am just about to buy the Scythe Mugen 2, and although I have read the SPCR review I would still like to see it listed in the recommended heatsinks article. There is only the original Mugen, how about adding Mugen 2? Thank you.
Aiyaiyai, so much buyer's anxiety! It will get an Editor's Choice award. All the recommended pages are being updated currently -- slow, tedious process, tons of details to check & double check. Trust the reviews -- they are the basis of the recommended pages.