SPCR's first WinHEC: Seattle, May 2006

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

SPCR's first WinHEC: Seattle, May 2006

Post by MikeC » Fri May 26, 2006 11:40 am

qviri

Post by qviri » Fri May 26, 2006 12:45 pm

Congratulations on winning the guitar!

Page three says some users were able to start their crashing machines almost immediately. Should it be crashing their machines instead?

I gotta say that leather-clad Asus uportable has got the looks. Too bad it doesn't have a trackpoint. Does IBM own a trademark on the concept of a trackpoint or something? I rarely ever see them being used, despite obvious advantages especially in the uportable form factor.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri May 26, 2006 1:05 pm

qviri wrote:Congratulations on winning the guitar!

Page three says some users were able to start their crashing machines almost immediately. Should it be crashing their machines instead?

I gotta say that leather-clad Asus uportable has got the looks. Too bad it doesn't have a trackpoint. Does IBM own a trademark on the concept of a trackpoint or something? I rarely ever see them being used, despite obvious advantages especially in the uportable form factor.
Yeah, thanks, a $2200 guitar, apparently, 8) had been thinking about buying a new guitar, but not an electric, haven't had one since I was a teen... now we'll find out if that whole phonecall was a road-trip induced fantasy or what. :lol: Haven't heard a thing about it since.

I corrected that comment because thinking back, it was one particular fella, who I have run into in other events before, who always comes across as something of a klutz, who always asks questions that seem... awkward? Anyway, this old brit kept crashing his machine repeatedly the whole 45 mins I was there. Made for some amusing chatter. No one else had as serious a problem. Mine didn't crash, but I wasn't really trying to do much.

Goldmember

Post by Goldmember » Fri May 26, 2006 3:37 pm

Yeah, congrats on the big win.

I own 1 acoustic and 2 electrics, one of which is a Gibson Les Paul. They make beautiful and heavy guitars. I think mine is made with mahogany, not sure. Anyways, playing any musical instrument can be very therapeutic as well as fun so enjoy.

derekva

Post by derekva » Fri May 26, 2006 9:17 pm

MikeC wrote:
qviri wrote:Congratulations on winning the guitar!

Yeah, thanks, a $2200 guitar, apparently, 8) had been thinking about buying a new guitar, but not an electric, haven't had one since I was a teen... now we'll find out if that whole phonecall was a road-trip induced fantasy or what. :lol: Haven't heard a thing about it since.

I corrected that comment because thinking back, it was one particular fella, who I have run into in other events before, who always comes across as something of a klutz, who always asks questions that seem... awkward? Anyway, this old brit kept crashing his machine repeatedly the whole 45 mins I was there. Made for some amusing chatter. No one else had as serious a problem. Mine didn't crash, but I wasn't really trying to do much.
If you want I can pick up the guitar for you since I live in the Seattle area and...umm...keep it for you for a while...yeah, that's it... :wink:

Congrats on the win (and I wish I had been at WinHEC, but I'm busy staying home with the 5-month old right now).

-Derek

monkiman
Friend of SPCR
Location: Seattle, WA -- *Active* member of the SPCR Folding@Home team!

Post by monkiman » Fri May 26, 2006 10:45 pm

Seattle area!?! C'mon - I'm in Seattle, I'll hold it for you :D

You should have given us a shout out Mike - I'd have bought you a drink!

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Sat May 27, 2006 3:29 am

Yikes, that’s a lot of moola for a guitar, although Gibson don’t exactly do cheap. Do you know what model it is?
I still regret selling a vintage white Fender Strat Plus that I bought from new back in the late 90s; it was a creamy white and the pickups just smoked those on my previous Mexican Strat. It had 3 of their noiseless single coil pickups which was great as single coil pickups can be very noisy compared to humbuckers.

I can almost still smell the aroma of the case which I assumed was the smell of the glue holding the trim in place. It’s not that I count myself as a particular connoisseur of glue, but this was FENDER GLUE, with a light nose and just a hint of asparagus. Of course, the glue used in their 50’s cases was on another level; but that was valve glue and they use the solid state glue these days.

avi_dan

Post by avi_dan » Mon May 29, 2006 12:39 pm

Actually its KPLU not KLPU. Great radio station!

monkiman
Friend of SPCR
Location: Seattle, WA -- *Active* member of the SPCR Folding@Home team!

Post by monkiman » Mon May 29, 2006 8:22 pm

I'm a KEXP man myself - avi_dan WELCOME TO SPCR!

avi_dan

Post by avi_dan » Tue May 30, 2006 2:23 pm

Thanks!

I have been a (silent) reader of SPCR for a few years now...