Silverstone's Flagship: Temjin TJ06 PC case

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
airor

Post by airor » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:48 am

The observations by Slimeballz on page 1 were apt.

I have been using this case since January, and though it is a good case, I feel the review by the SPCR staff might have trivialized some of the size problems.

Primarily, I have a Seasonic Super Silencer 400 W, and the motherboard power cables are nowhere near long enough to reach. The Super Silencer comes with a 24 to 20 pin converter that makes it *just long enough, if you decide to route the cables straight down, but you can't route it outside like the manual suggests and if your motherboard requires 24 pins... you're out of luck (you'll have to purchase two extensions for the 24 pin power and 4 pin power connectors, and the 4 pin power connector is an even bigger stretch)

This might not seem like a huge problem, but try buying a power supply based on the atx power cable length.. it's impossible, none of the manufacturers list the cable length. Seasonic has some mumbo jumbo on their website about how longer cables = power degredation. How important that is I don't know, but I'd much rather buy a power supply that's already been tested with longer cables than lengthening them myself (also the extensions add about 20 dollars to the cost after shipping).

The wind tunnel "snaps in" but the four snaps also break extremely easily so you need to be very careful with them.

Those snap ins are kinda annoying but a non issue.

The stock fans are fairly loud (it might just be the 80mm one)

The wind tunnel is not very compatible with non standard components (vga cooloers, large heatsinks...etc etc)

MASTERPL

Post by MASTERPL » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:10 pm

Hello everyone, first time poster. Longtime lurker.

I need som help. I have the Temjin 6 case, and a new Asus A8V in box.

I woulld like to put a zalman CNPS7000 on the cpu, but the cpu sockets proximity to the edge of the board worries me. Additionally, the bottom of the case is millimeters from the edge of the board?

Does anyone here have a temjin a8v combo? and what cooler did you use successfully?

If this has been answered already, forgive me, I have a newborn driving me nuts.

airor

Post by airor » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:40 am

With the A7V880 and the Zalman cooler the tunnel fit.

I do not know about the A8.

MASTERPL

Post by MASTERPL » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:35 am

I have a new problem. What power supply has leads long enough to reach the atx and p4 connectors that are at the very bottom of the case?

I thought I could use fancy modular cables, but I can't pass the atx cable behind the mobo panel because the side panel will not fit with such a fat cable..

Any recommendations? or are extensions and adapters the only way at this point.

Olav the Viking

Post by Olav the Viking » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:48 am

MASTERPL wrote:I have a new problem. What power supply has leads long enough to reach the atx and p4 connectors that are at the very bottom of the case?

I thought I could use fancy modular cables, but I can't pass the atx cable behind the mobo panel because the side panel will not fit with such a fat cable..

Any recommendations? or are extensions and adapters the only way at this point.
\

See my post of 21Mar2005. I am using the Silverstone SST-ST52F 520W PS. The leads are long enough to go straight to the MOBO, but not long enough to be fed outside the MOBO mounting plate as recommended (for the Intel D925XECV2). My new digital camera arrives today, so hopefully I will be able to document and post some pics for users.

DG

Post by DG » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:57 am

Anyone has this case and an Antec TP2.0 PSU? Or if someone knows what lenght is the ATX power cable?

airor

Post by airor » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm

I previously used a Super Silencer 400 by Seasonic

I ordered and received a Super Tornado 400.

The leads are not longer on the Super Tornado 400, and they are nowhere close to being long enough to reach. I've found the Silencer is closer than the Tornado even. The earlier post and review is wrong, at least in the case of the Temjin case + Super Tornado 400 + A8N-E.

for the A8N-E, this case Is NOT compatible, and it's rather disappointing that the review does not point this out more thoroughly.

An extension is pretty much required for many popular motherboards such as the A8N-E. Both for the 4 pin and the 24 pin connectors.

Silverstone sells the extensions for 30 bucks or so, so be sure to add this to your cost if you plan on using this case as it would appear fairly likely that you will need em.

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:52 pm

My TJ-06 just arrived. Initial impressions are pretty good, although the floppy drive just gets in the way for where I wanted to put my pump (I'm watercooling). One thing is bugging me though - there are half a dozen tapped holes in the steel front panel (behind the aluminium one) that don't seem to correspond to any component I can find with the case. Any ideas?

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:01 am

The same chassis is used for cases of several brands. All with at least different front panels. maybe the holes are needed for one of the other models.

Shuriken

Post by Shuriken » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:12 am

Tibors wrote:The same chassis is used for cases of several brands. All with at least different front panels. maybe the holes are needed for one of the other models.
The Sharkoon Silvation uses the same chassis. This case is available in Europe. I bought one without a PSU for just 79 euro (approx the same in US Dollars)

Cooling my Venice 3000+ with just a heatpipe (from Freezer 64). And it works great.

ricklane

What have I Done!?!?!?

Post by ricklane » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:51 pm

Hi Guys :D ,

Been lurking on this forum for a while, its very good...unfortunatly im posting for help rather than to add to the buckets of knowledge on here :-s

I have the Temjin TJ06 case, running with stock fans, a gigabyte LGA775 motherboard with a Pentium 2.8 installed in it.

When i first put the system together, I couldnt install the windtunnel due to how i had to route the 4pin ATX power lead, and i stuck with the stock Intel cooler until there were more 3rd party ones on the market and i could make a more measured decision on noise/heat levels. im returning to playing with PCs after a break of a few years and wanted to get used to the 'base' setup before i started playing with making the system silent and so on.

Recently i thought i would start moving towards cooling the system more efficiently and quietly and after much toil and consulting this thread in particular and various reviews, i figured that as the silverstone heatsink seems to have been designed to be used with this case, i would plump for that. I had to source a NT01 v2 which would fit my LGA775 socket and so im not sure wether the figures quoted on here are so relevant as they were taken with a 478 socket, but anyway, im sure what im getting isnt right. I ordered an extension cable for the atx 4pin at the same time so today ive gone from no tunnel and the stock intel cooler, to the tunnel plus the NT01v2. Unfortunatly due to the placement of a few chips and things on the motherboard blocking the base of the heatsink, ive had to orientate it so it goes 'along' rather than 'across' the tunnel as this is the only way i can fit it. other than that, the system is pretty much as i intended when i ordered the heatsink.

As a referece my system used to idle at about 35-38 deg and peak at almost 50 when burning CDs in the background of browsing several webpages and running a spychecker at the same time. I also use the system to play games which i presume also drives the heat up further but ive neglected to measure the chip temp when im flying round corners on Colin McRae Rally! :lol:

I installed the new kit today, and now find that the temps gone through the roof. On first boot-up with the new kit, it idled at around 45 and when i started burning a CD it shot up to the sixtys, peaking at 71 deg! Obviously not the result i wanted!
Ive been using the monitoring software that came with my m/b and wondered wether there was something amiss with how that was measuring things so just to be sure, i also went into the BIOS to check there, and that reported an idle temp of 61 deg... :oops:

So where have i gone wrong? does the orientation of the heatsink (90 deg from the ideal setup) really have such a negative impact on its performance? and would getting some fans to mount on the heatsink possibly counteract that if so?

Help!

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: What have I Done!?!?!?

Post by MikeC » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:00 pm

ricklane wrote:So where have i gone wrong? does the orientation of the heatsink (90 deg from the ideal setup) really have such a negative impact on its performance? and would getting some fans to mount on the heatsink possibly counteract that if so?
Yes, orientation of the fins in this HS really does matter. The ends of the fins are actually blocked from ariflow by the aluminum frame around it. There's probably little or no airflow actually going through the fins, just by them. Fans on the HS may help, but you'll end up with added noise and strange swirling airflow down there. You would have been better off with a "small" tower HS like the Arctic Cooling Freezer -- I am pretty that fits in the duct and on almost any 775 motherboard with the fan blowing in any direction. And it's a simple matter to remove the fan from this HS if you wnated to try that.

Welcome to SPCR, btw. :)

Freelancer77

Post by Freelancer77 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:34 pm

So where have i gone wrong? does the orientation of the heatsink (90 deg from the ideal setup) really have such a negative impact on its performance? and would getting some fans to mount on the heatsink possibly counteract that if so?
It's a small operation to remove the fan shroud from the NT01. If you aren't attaching fans to it there's no purpose served by it existing. Then there will be a path through the heatsink fins, which hopefully will lower your temps some.

Sadly, a major review of that heatsink in the TJ06 exactly mirrors your experience. I was somewhat disturbed that the reviewer didn't try removing the fan mounting shroud, but simply reported that temps ramped up until the CPU throttled, at which point he gave up on using it passively and installed a 70mm fan (even thought the mounts are for a 60mm, but he didn't have one handy. Great review, eh). Hmm, was that on here? :oops: Gads I hope not.

Anyway, I can tell you that the AC Freezer will fit inside the wind tunnel on most LGA775 boards, should you choose to change heatsinks.

ricklane

Post by ricklane » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:47 am

Cheers for your comments guys, and thanks for the welcome MikeC :D

I did think of taking the shroud off, but ive spoke to the place i bought it (let me plug them as they've been very helpfull so far - www.specialtech.co.uk) and theyve said i can send it back to them for a full refund and so i think it would be better to do that and then start again and taking the shroud off might make it look less shiny and new when they examine it....

Also i assume that it still wouldnt work to the optimum? It cost more than most heatsinks in the first place and to not have it working to its best seems like wasted money so I'll try and find one i can install in its optimum config...although my course of action might have been different if i wasnt going to get a refund! :P

I did originally look at the AC Freezer 7 as a cheaper alternative t the NT01, so i think that wil be my next stab. It looks like the AC uses 'legs' to attach to the motherboard which would seem to negate te problm with the footprint of the NT01 overlaping components too. I coldnt find a review for the Freezer 7 though, is there much diference between it and the Freezer 4?

Its been a rather xpensive eror but to be honest ive gotawy with t this time and i like messing around as it all adds knowledge doesnt it. Also hopefully i'll make myself known a bit more on these boards as one of the reasons for getting back onto making my own PCs was with the intention of ending up with a bespoke construction of an 'organic' desk, sort of looking like a tree, wih branches holding the keyboards / mouse / speakers and the guts of the PC built into the trunk. Obviously in something like that, cooling will be critical!! :lol:

But first, im going to find some batterys to replace the ones that are in my wireless keyboard, i wont get anything one very fast while im having to bash every key twice....

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:00 am

ricklane wrote:I coldnt find a review for the Freezer 7 though, is there much diference between it and the Freezer 4?
Only the mounting system (LGA775 instead of Socket 478). The actual heatsink is identical.

Solmiester

Post by Solmiester » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:03 pm

Hi all, 1st post/

I have the TJ-06 and once this 1st post done can post some pic's and thoughts

Solmiester

Post by Solmiester » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:03 pm

Hi all, thought I'd come back to the review after a couple of yrs with the TJ-06.
Love the case, if a bit too heavy, also didn't like the grey interior with black exterior and a windows?...Didn't look that good until I spray painted the interior mate black.

I use just the standard 2 x 120mm fan and 80mm intake at the front, for better exhaust, I placed a 92mm at the back of the HDD cage after I replaced the bottom fan mounted PSU I had.
The 2nd pic shows the offset cpu socket (939) K8NS Ultra which meant no flash coolers.
I am now about to undertake a C2D upgrade with DQ6 board a note how this time the the cpu socket alignment should be bang on allowing for the Zalman 9700 to fill up the entire windtunnel.

Great site........

mangere

Post by mangere » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:14 pm

Hi Solmiester
I'm also considering getting a TJ06 along with a Zalman CNPS9500 and either a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 or GA-P35-DQ6 (havn't decided on the CPU yet, but it will probably be a X2 6000+ or a Core 2 Duo E6550). I'm very interested to hear how your DQ6 upgrade goes and what you do about the heatpipes. I think if the heatpipes can be accomodated well, the resultant heat gradient between the mosfet heatsink and other heatsinks will make the heatpipes work very well.