Doug's Quiet Wood Case PC

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Gorsnak

Post by Gorsnak » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:00 pm

Neutronium would be more effective I'd think.

Myth!
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Myth! » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:20 am

Antec are looking into it

Solar Granulation

Post by Solar Granulation » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:26 am

Necroed again...

I'm also considering building myself a wood case. I have some ideas for refinements, if anyone would like to discuss them.

Noise damping for fans.. I have an alternative idea to foam pads and elastic cords. Rather I think using longer, thinner screws than normal with form between them and the fans might do. It reduces the amount of foam used and I think it would dampen quite well. It also has the advantage that a similar approach could be used with the CPU fan.

Next increased airflow. I want to make sure my case temp is as low as it can be, so I want to elevate the mobo from the wood and align fans to ensure airflow all around the board. Quite possibly a row of fans at the bottom, thoughts?

EMI/RFI I would like to further reduce. I'm thinking of laying wire mesh (preferably copper) over the inside of all wooden panels, creating a Faraday cage. Wondering if the mesh could also act as a dust filter.

With all the fans physically isolated I'm not sure a padded panel would really be needed to reduce sound. Instead I'm thinking of a 22cm fan.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:05 am

The tiny amount of space between a thin screw and the surrounding fan hole will not allow for significant vibration dampening.

Solar Granulation

Post by Solar Granulation » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:48 am

Are you sure? That's a shame. Well, pads and elastic it is then.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:55 am

I'm sure. I haven't tried that exact technique, but I've used the more commonplace method of simply mounting a fan with some small lengths of foam in place of the screws. You need at least a few millimeters of foam length between the fan and the case in order to get any noticeable vibration reduction--more distance than the tiny radius of a fan's mounting hole.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:05 am

Holy resurected threads batman!

I thought Doug had built a new wood box for a second...
IsaacKuo wrote:I'm sure. I haven't tried that exact technique, but I've used the more commonplace method of simply mounting a fan with some small lengths of foam in place of the screws. You need at least a few millimeters of foam length between the fan and the case in order to get any noticeable vibration reduction--more distance than the tiny radius of a fan's mounting hole.
Ive had good luck with silicon glue in that same fashion. Use screws in 2 holes with spacers to hold the fan off the case 3/8" or so, then fill the other 2 holes leaving blobs on both sides. After it dries remove the screws and finish off the last holes.

With a slow fan and a good case its all i need.

Solar Granulation

Post by Solar Granulation » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:42 am

xan_user wrote:Ive had good luck with silicon glue in that same fashion. Use screws in 2 holes with spacers to hold the fan off the case 3/8" or so, then fill the other 2 holes leaving blobs on both sides. After it dries remove the screws and finish off the last holes.

With a slow fan and a good case its all i need.
Ingenius. I might try that. Could you show me the type of thing you used?

I had briefly considered springs either side of the fan, but I realised that a balance between enough tension to hold the fan up and little enough to prevent vibration transference would be nigh impossible to achieve.

I would also say that, although I didn't make it clear, my plan was to have the fan several mm away from the case. Thus making the important thing the prevention of vibrations traversing the screws. But xan_user's method sounds good.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:01 pm

I am going to be making one of these things.....

I have some ideas for it though that are lil different. There is a sound proofing GLUE.

anyone ever hear of it? I guess it makes air bubbles or someting gushy foam? and sticks?

thiswould stop some resonance I would guess.

I have some other ideas to make the wood deader. this is my June project :) buying a table saw right now and a drill press.

MtnHermit

Post by MtnHermit » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:07 pm

Just joined the forum yesterday and today I Googled "DIY Wood PC Case." The first link I clicked was your case:

Awesome

Got many good ideas just browsing the photos. I'm toying with turning my coffee table into a PC case, still half baked.

Thanks

flippant

Post by flippant » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:09 am

This is fascinating.