SPCR
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/

Samsung P120 200GB Hard Drive Review
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=23673
Page 1 of 2

Author:  MikeC [ Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:56 am ]
Post subject:  Samsung P120 200GB Hard Drive Review

Samsung P120 200GB Hard Drive Review -- at long last.

Author:  perplex [ Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

nice review. but it seems i'll most likely be going in the 2.5" direction :?

Author:  rpsgc [ Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

At last! Great :D

Author:  Hellspawn [ Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

The 250gb product that is mentioned - is the part # SP2504C or SP2514C? I have found a place or two that mentioned the 2514, but the Samsung site references 2504..

Author:  Devonavar [ Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

Both. The SP2504C is the SATA version and the SP2514N (I assume you made a typo? I hadn't seen the "C" version of the 2514.) is the PATA version.

Author:  rpsgc [ Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hellspawn wrote:
The 250gb product that is mentioned - is the part # SP2504C or SP2514C? I have found a place or two that mentioned the 2514, but the Samsung site references 2504..


The SP2514N is the 250GB ATA drive and the SP2504C is the 250GB SATA-II drive.

Author:  Ackelind [ Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

Oh yes!

I bought my new harddrive a few months ago when there were no reviews of the new generation of harddrives, and i decided to go for the Spinpoint. Seems like I made the right choice then, based on the reviews so far!

Author:  Hellspawn [ Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

rpsgc wrote:
Hellspawn wrote:
The 250gb product that is mentioned - is the part # SP2504C or SP2514C? I have found a place or two that mentioned the 2514, but the Samsung site references 2504..


The SP2514N is the 250GB ATA drive and the SP2504C is the 250GB SATA-II drive.


aha. ok the "C" is what I'm looking for then, I think I remember an "N" now that you mention it. thanks

Author:  ddrueding1 [ Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

Nice review, though I'm now using 2.5" Samsungs and 400GB Seagates.

FYI: In the conclusion there is a reference to a P180. I assume you ment P80 in this review.

Author:  Devonavar [ Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:33 pm ]
Post subject: 

ddrueding1 wrote:
FYI: In the conclusion there is a reference to a P180. I assume you ment P80 in this review.


Correct, it should be fixed soon.

Author:  Jordan [ Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

As the double platter P120 was only slightly louder than a single platter P80 used for comparrison I susspect the larger, double platter P80s may be louder or of similar noise levels to the P120. Would this be a reasonable conclusion?

Yes, probably. At some point I may yank the P80 (160GB) in my system for a direct comparison, but until then you can probably consider them pretty close.

Author:  ~El~Jefe~ [ Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

Could you give a list of places that have it and such? (with nidecs....)

great review though, makes me happy after that jvc crude they tried to pawn off! well i know it wasnt that bad but its not a garauntee of quietness as you mentioned.

Author:  Devonavar [ Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

I can't tell you any places off the top of my head, but why don't you look it up on PriceGrabber? If you use the link on the review page, you'll even support SPCR while you're at it.

Author:  Ackelind [ Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

~El~Jefe~ wrote:
Could you give a list of places that have it and such? (with nidecs....)

great review though, makes me happy after that jvc crude they tried to pawn off! well i know it wasnt that bad but its not a garauntee of quietness as you mentioned.


If you got a Spinpoint P120 with a JVC motor, you'd be the first one I've seen to get one then. Seems like all the new P120's are Nidecs.

Author:  nici [ Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:06 am ]
Post subject: 

The one i got was a nidec, but it was DOA so i returned it. Got an 250Gb external Lacie instead.

Author:  nbac [ Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:18 am ]
Post subject: 

Nice review :)
Too bad AAM doesn't seem to work. (I can't hear any difference either)

Is this a trend? First the 7200.7 and now the P120.

Author:  Ackelind [ Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:11 am ]
Post subject: 

I also tried enabling AAM, but to no difference. Maybe the "softseek" is just a bit different so none of the usual programs work? Perhaps you need some utility from Samsung to enable it, or it may well already be enabled.

Author:  Sooty [ Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:11 am ]
Post subject: 

Thanks for the review. Is there a T7K250 review in the pipeline, or 7200.8?

Author:  scruzbeachbum [ Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:51 am ]
Post subject: 

Thanks for the review :D

Author:  Devonavar [ Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:13 am ]
Post subject: 

Ackelind wrote:
I also tried enabling AAM, but to no difference. Maybe the "softseek" is just a bit different so none of the usual programs work? Perhaps you need some utility from Samsung to enable it, or it may well already be enabled.


AAM does have an effect. The reduction in power consumption and the test on the vibration box confirmed that. However, it's effect on the airborne acoustics is almost nothing; the reduction is almost entirely in vibration and whatever noise it causes. Also, keep in mind that it's seeks without AAM are already at a level of noise that is at or below most other drive with AAM.

nbac wrote:
Is this a trend? First the 7200.7 and now the P120.


No. The 7200.7 doesn't implement AAM at all. The P120 implements it; it just doesn't do much.

Author:  Ackelind [ Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:17 am ]
Post subject: 

Devonavar wrote:
Ackelind wrote:
I also tried enabling AAM, but to no difference. Maybe the "softseek" is just a bit different so none of the usual programs work? Perhaps you need some utility from Samsung to enable it, or it may well already be enabled.


AAM does have an effect. The reduction in power consumption and the test on the vibration box confirmed that. However, it's effect on the airborne acoustics is almost nothing; the reduction is almost entirely in vibration and whatever noise it causes. Also, keep in mind that it's seeks without AAM are already at a level of noise that is at or below most other drive with AAM.


Yeah, perhaps on the vibration and power consumption. When I enabled it at home, I couldn't tell the difference from before, the seeks were at the same level. With my DM9 though, it was like night and day! It went from pre-1990's era seeks, to almost no seek noise at all.

Author:  RaNDoMMAI [ Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

Been waiting on this review from SPCR, thx a bunch. do you guys have any of the new 3200 WD drives to compare? i been hearing alot of good things about them

~RaNDoM

Author:  winguy [ Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:03 am ]
Post subject: 

Ackelind wrote:
Yeah, perhaps on the vibration and power consumption. When I enabled it at home, I couldn't tell the difference from before, the seeks were at the same level.

What about seek time? Is seek time affected with AAM enabled?

Author:  fouster [ Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:20 am ]
Post subject: 

Great review but i've got one question!
Is there going to be any difference in noise between the 200GB and the 250 as the only differenve between them is the higher density!
I think I can now change my whining barracudaIV but I would like to see a review of the 2 platter Hitachi deskstar 250GB.
Will this be soon?

Author:  Devonavar [ Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:51 am ]
Post subject: 

fouster wrote:
Great review but i've got one question!
Is there going to be any difference in noise between the 200GB and the 250 as the only differenve between them is the higher density!


I can't think of any reason why they would sound different. Usually, differences in noise within a product line are the result of a different number of platters, but the 200 and 250 GB lines both have two platters, so there should be no difference. Only time will tell though...

winguy wrote:
What about seek time? Is seek time affected with AAM enabled?


The short answer to your question is yes: AAM almost always affects seek time. However, I suspect what you are really asking is how much it is affected, and I don't know the answer to that. We don't generally do performance testing on hard drives, for reasons outlined in our methodology article.

Author:  Spag [ Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:57 am ]
Post subject: 

I bought the P120 250GB last week to plug it on my ASUS K8V SE Deluxe, but it took me a while to figure out how to be able to boot on it.

I could install Windows XP by installing VIA SATA drivers (using F6 on install), but then then BIOS wouldn't see the drive and I couldn't boot on it.

The reason is that curiously, the bios of my SATA controller only detects the drive if it's a SATA 150... but still, the disk works fine on windows... :?:

The only way to boot on my P120 was to use a jumper to set it in SATA 150 mode (there is a small note in the drive's box explaining how to do that...). So now the drive works fine, but I'm disappointed I can't use it in native SATA 300! :(

Author:  Shuriken [ Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:00 am ]
Post subject: 

Spag wrote:
I bought the P120 250GB last week to plug it on my ASUS K8V SE Deluxe, but it took me a while to figure out how to be able to boot on it.

I could install Windows XP by installing VIA SATA drivers (using F6 on install), but then then BIOS wouldn't see the drive and I couldn't boot on it.

The reason is that curiously, the bios of my SATA controller only detects the drive if it's a SATA 150... but still, the disk works fine on windows... :?:

The only way to boot on my P120 was to use a jumper to set it in SATA 150 mode (there is a small note in the drive's box explaining how to do that...). So now the drive works fine, but I'm disappointed I can't use it in native SATA 300! :(


That is not very surprising since your mainboard does not support SATA300!

Author:  Spag [ Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:17 am ]
Post subject: 

Yes, but I didn't expect I would have to use a jumper as I read everywhere that SATA 300 drives are SATA 150 compatible. But maybe is it the case for every SATA 300 drives? :)

Author:  Devonavar [ Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:16 pm ]
Post subject: 

You're right, they are SATA compatible (at least, they seem to be in Windows), but that still doesn't mean you can run it in SATA 300 mode natively. If your disc controller only supports the first version of SATA, the drive will run in that mode, no matter what your jumper settings are.

Author:  alglove [ Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

The jumper is what makes it compatible with SATA 150. :wink:

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/