CoolerMaster Hyper 48 heatsink / fan

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

CoolerMaster Hyper 48 heatsink / fan

Post by MikeC » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:51 pm

They keep saying things like "Ultra Silent" about their CPU coolers; the last few we've reviewed have been anything but. How does the Hyper 48 fare? Much better. :)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:34 am

Goodness gracious! There's no way I'd mount that 800+ gram monstrosity using a regular plastic Intel retention bracket. You've definitely got a pair Mike!

It's difficult reading the words "Delta" and "quiet" in the same sentence. It's a complete oxymoron.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:43 am

Do you know if it's possible to purchase this fan on its own? I could use a quiet 80x15mm fan.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:47 am

sthayashi wrote:Do you know if it's possible to purchase this fan on its own? I could use a quiet 80x15mm fan.

Huh? It's 92x25mm.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:46 am

:oops: my bad.... Shows how carefully I read articles before my morning tea.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:05 am

Just a quick note: Some of the MP3 files were incorrectly linked. This has been corrected.

DG

Post by DG » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:46 am

off-topic: Ahhh, when i opened the spcr homepage, i thought it was the SI-97 review. Guess this was not my lucky day..:(

bishyb

Post by bishyb » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:38 am

So any idea how this performs in comparison to the XP-90/120 yet? (I take it the XP-90/120 will be better if the Hyper48 performs equal to the SP-94).

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:02 am

bishyb wrote:So any idea how this performs in comparison to the XP-90/120 yet? (I take it the XP-90/120 will be better if the Hyper48 performs equal to the SP-94).
The data is there in the reviews for you to examine.

In a nutshell: XP90 is slightly better; the dif may be a wash depending on your system particulars. The xp120 has the benefit of a 120mm fan -- naturally it cools better.

silencery

Post by silencery » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:29 am

The slotted fan casing looks interesting. Do you think this could be used as a mod for 120mms? Is the resulting effectiveness worth a try or is it just flashy?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:43 am

Slotted fan casing: Really no different than the augmented Panaflo fans that are 2-3 years old. Intel, Arctic Cooling, Zalman, many others -- they are all converging on the idea of a frameless fan for max airflow and min noise. Zalman (and Thermaltake in the ORB) obviously have got the perfect way to achieve higest cooling efficiency from a fan: Embed it right into the center of a radial HS. It's not rocket science, it's just using every bit of airflow caused by the spinning blades.

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:44 pm

I like what I see about this heatsink. MikeC - did you try reversing the fan airflow direction? If so, how did it go?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:53 pm

josephclemente wrote:I like what I see about this heatsink. MikeC - did you try reversing the fan airflow direction? If so, how did it go?
I can't recall... probably not. That shroud is too short for blow up to work as well, You'd want to extend them down another half inch at least.

For me, the #1 issue is weight. It's a lot of weight, and motherboards are not really that rugged -- multilayer traces are easy to crack. Also I'd prefer getting it w/o the fan for less $$ so I could roll my own.

Mind you I just broke that Intel P845 HS test motherboard a few days ago with a HS that weighs much less. Imprecise bolt mounting did it -- I could not tell when to stop tightening, there was so much leeway. By the time I decided I had gone too far, it was apparently too late. The board has not booted in a hundred tries. :(

So P4 HS testing in my lab is on hold while I evaluate & choose another P4 board that reads the diode temp accurately and can do yeoman duty like the old Intel one did for 2 years. So far I've rejected 4 others.

meglamaniac

Post by meglamaniac » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:32 pm

Mike: It might be worth trying to get a second hand replacement to make sure you get the same readings - could be possible off ebay maybe?

Another nice review, but like many others my concern is about the weight, especially as my PC does a fair bit of travel to uni and back. I think I'll stick with the XP90/120.

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:13 am

Well, if the XP-90 cools better, is lighter, and is just as compatible, then it's a better cooler. After that, it's a matter of price. The Cooler Master might work out cheaper if the included fan is acceptable, but I'd pay the extra just for the peace of mind of a lighter HSF.

Haplo

cooling an micro-atx chassis

Post by Haplo » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:01 am

I have a cooler master micro-atx chassis, and an pentium 4 3,2 GHz CPU with the boxed cooler. In such a confined space it gets very hot and the fan spins up and sound like a vacuum cleaner. Do you think the hyper 48 will do the same? Or will it manage to cool the CPU with the maximum noise levels from the review? Will other chassis/system fans help? The noise really anoys me :(

Hope someone here can help me :)
Good review - thanks!

riccardo_ab2

Re: cooling an micro-atx chassis

Post by riccardo_ab2 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:59 pm

[quote="Haplo"]I have a cooler master micro-atx chassis, and an pentium 4 3,2 GHz CPU with the boxed cooler. ..quote]

same for me, CM ATC610+asus p5gd1-vm + P4 Boxed cooler, but when I actvated Q-FAN feature in bios things goes much much better (fan 2800rpm). The 'vacum cleaner effect' just during heavy jobs (fan 4200rpm) . with QFAN fan speed is adjusted accordling to real CPU temperature (temp diod for P4 775) not accordling to environment temperature . QFAN is an ASUS term, you should verify if your MB have such a similar feature .

by the way, some one here knowns if HYPER-48 have particular black-listed motherboards wher it will not not fit in ?

thnks

Haplo

Re: cooling an micro-atx chassis

Post by Haplo » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:19 am

riccardo_ab2 wrote:asus p5gd1-vm + P4 Boxed cooler, but when I actvated Q-FAN feature in bios things goes much much better (fan 2800rpm).
I have the same Mobo :) I'm not home this weekend though, but I'll check Q-FAN out as soon as I get home - Thnx alot!

jmke
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jmke » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:11 am

MikeC wrote: In a nutshell: XP90 is slightly better; .
only better with low CFM fans; when using high output fans (Vantec Tornado) the Hyper 48 takes the lead :)

riccardo_ab2

Post by riccardo_ab2 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:25 pm

I took a risk and buyed the H48..
Great, CM ATC610+asus p5gd1-vm + P4 LGA775 (540), Installed HYPER-48 in a couple of hour following the included instructions. It fits perfectly. Noise level very low and it does not depend anymore by the workload (constant FAN @ 1500rpm) .
Great Cooling performance, CPU never raise the CHASSIS temp . Stable at 40-42 C (considering the compact ATC610 full of stuff) .
ciao

frankgehry

fan testing

Post by frankgehry » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:24 pm

Mike,

The most interesting part of the hyper-48 review is the fan. You refer to it correctly as a Delta, but use Coolermaster marketing information to label it as a 1400 rpm 18.5 dba fan when in fact Delta specs the fan as 2100 rpm 42 cfm 29 dba - close to your test results. Delta states that dba readings are taken 1 meter behind the intake face of the fan. At this distance I doubt that it is important to avoid on axis turbulence, but I don't know this for sure. I believe that 1 meter behind intake face on axis is your method also, although I did read something about a 3" at 45 deg standard.

What I see is a rebadged delta that at 7v provides 40% more air at ~ the same noise level as the nexus. I hope the Everflow in the Silverstone tj-06 review and the Delta make it into the fan review because if you have no interest in a coolermaster heatsink or a silverstone case you will miss out on some very surprising fan reviews. - FG

gaj

Post by gaj » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:10 pm

Hi Everybody,

do this cooler fits to a Lian-Li PC-50 Case?

riccardo_ab2

Post by riccardo_ab2 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:49 am

gaj wrote:Hi Everybody,

do this cooler fits to a Lian-Li PC-50 Case?
you should specify also the motherboard you have, because socket positioning may be MB-dependent and it would be relevant to your problem .
In my case before buy (see above), I've setted up a little moke-up using hard paper with the dimensions published on the product specs .

logicgrrl

Ultra loud ?

Post by logicgrrl » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:21 pm

This article gave the Coolermaster 48 very positive reviews as far as noise is concerned. So, I just bought & installed this CPU cooler in my generic computer from Fry's, because the stock cooler sounded like a vacuum cleaner. Well, now the computer sounds like a louder vacuum cleaner. I'm not normally a hardware person and I've never installed one of these before - any advice? Is it overpowered? Can I reduce the fan speed somehow? Or did I get a lemon?

riccardo_ab2

Re: Ultra loud ?

Post by riccardo_ab2 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:42 pm

logicgrrl wrote:..any advice? Is it overpowered? Can I reduce the fan speed somehow? Or did I get a lemon?
FAN speed is constant,some times when the CPU fan noise is lowered down , what comes up may be the CHASSIS fan . I think that you should verify the chassin fan noise .

dawgpound6985

Post by dawgpound6985 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:57 pm

logicgrrl wrote:This article gave the Coolermaster 48 very positive reviews as far as noise is concerned. So, I just bought & installed this CPU cooler in my generic computer from Fry's, because the stock cooler sounded like a vacuum cleaner. Well, now the computer sounds like a louder vacuum cleaner. I'm not normally a hardware person and I've never installed one of these before - any advice? Is it overpowered? Can I reduce the fan speed somehow? Or did I get a lemon?
What motherboard are you using? The Hyper 48 uses PWM and if the motherboard is set to turn up the fan of the speed at a certain temp. then that's probably why its loud. But then again, I'm not sure how fast it can go since my motherboard doesn't support PWM. Also, try using speedfan to see how fast its spinning. I think when the motherboard doesn't support PWM it just spins at the lowest RPM which is what I was running when I was using the old fan of the Hyper 48.

I have the Hyper 48 and have been using it on my Asus A8N-E now for about 4 months now and the noise was never an issue for me. You sure its the heatsink? The fan was really silent compared to the stock heatsink. I just replaced the 92mm fan with a 120mm Yate Loon fan just a few weeks ago and to tell you the truth the noise difference is very minimal, albeit, I can keep my 120mm fan at 5V without the heatsink breaking a sweat. (idling at 31-32C with Cool and Quiet on)

logicgrrl

Post by logicgrrl » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:35 pm

Thanks for your helpful responses!

I temporarily disconnected the 2 case fans and started the computer with only the Coolermaster fan running. It was still extremely noisy, so yup, the Coolermaster was the problem.

I tried speedfan, and was able to decrease the CPU fan speed. The volume is now reasonable. (fyi, it reports the CPU temp to be about 37C at this speed, which seems acceptable)

One more thing though. When I restart the computer, the fan starts up at 100% again (vacuum cleaner speed). I have to use speedfan to manually decrease the speed. My motherboard is ECS (aka "Elite") 915G-M. Do you know how to automatically control the fan speed based on the CPU temp? I can't find any option in speedfan or in the BIOS. I tried installing Motherboard Monitor 5 also, but it doesn't seem to support my motherboard.

dawgpound6985

Post by dawgpound6985 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:07 am

logicgrrl wrote:Thanks for your helpful responses!

I temporarily disconnected the 2 case fans and started the computer with only the Coolermaster fan running. It was still extremely noisy, so yup, the Coolermaster was the problem.

I tried speedfan, and was able to decrease the CPU fan speed. The volume is now reasonable. (fyi, it reports the CPU temp to be about 37C at this speed, which seems acceptable)

One more thing though. When I restart the computer, the fan starts up at 100% again (vacuum cleaner speed). I have to use speedfan to manually decrease the speed. My motherboard is ECS (aka "Elite") 915G-M. Do you know how to automatically control the fan speed based on the CPU temp? I can't find any option in speedfan or in the BIOS. I tried installing Motherboard Monitor 5 also, but it doesn't seem to support my motherboard.
Well at least you got it to lower while you're using windows. If you really want the fan to stay low all the time and your motherboard accepts it, plug the fan into a 3 pin connector on the motherboard instead of the PWM CPU fan pin. (I don't know if that makes sense to you but its basically plugging in the 4 pin from the coolermaster fan into say the system/chassis 3 pin on the motherboard. You don't really need the blue wire, which is the 4th pin, its for PWM functions) If your motherboard boots up fine and shows no CPU fan error then you're good to go. (If it does you could probably display the error in the BIOS again). The only thing though is that the fan speed will stay at 1500rpms which when I used to use it was actually decent (around 35-37C for me). I guess you could use speedfan to speed it up when you feel like it but I really have no experience from that point on. LOOK AT SOLUTION BELOW IF WIRE DOESNT REACH.

EDIT:

After looking at a pic of your motherboard it looks like its too far to reach the chassis pins on the motherboard but here's another solution for you:

Disable the blue cable of the hyper 48 fan by removing it from the plug (use a small screwdriver to push it out). So I mean the 4-pin plug of the Hyper 48. Unplug the blue cable , then plug in the now 3- pin cable to the cpu fan connector of the motherboard and everything should works fine. This shoudln't give you a no CPU fan error. As for the speed changing, you can try speedfan for that. Hope that helps. :)

logicgrrl

Post by logicgrrl » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:40 pm

Thanks, I didn't know you could disable PWM in hardware. Good to know for future reference. However, after a bit more web searching I discovered that the motherboard manufacturer has published a BIOS upgrade that includes a "Smart Fan" temperature-based control function. Everything is quiet now and as a side benefit of the BIOS update my TV tuner card even started working again!

I hope this thread saves future users some time & effort...

dawgpound6985

Post by dawgpound6985 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:42 pm

logicgrrl wrote:Thanks, I didn't know you could disable PWM in hardware. Good to know for future reference. However, after a bit more web searching I discovered that the motherboard manufacturer has published a BIOS upgrade that includes a "Smart Fan" temperature-based control function. Everything is quiet now and as a side benefit of the BIOS update my TV tuner card even started working again!

I hope this thread saves future users some time & effort...
That's good to know. How do you like the heatsink so far? Not that many people have this heatsink mostly cause of its weight. Overall though, I think the heatsink does a good job keeping the CPU cool.