Shuttle's long awaited SD11G5 Pentium-M SFF

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
jojo4u

Post by jojo4u » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:34 am

Mike, what's you attitude towards png? The last two pictures on page 6 and the first on page 7 would definitely profit from being saved as a png rather than jpeg. Jpeg has nasty artefacts which are looking unprofessional.

The topic has been discussed with devonavar here:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... hlight=png

Aris

Post by Aris » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:46 am

can anyone try installing a video card with a thermalright v-1 heatsink on it into a shuttle case of this size?

i looked at some reviews of the heatsink, and it looks like it would be really close. you might even be able to just grind down the top aluminum heatsink a few milimeters since its so close.

the reason i ask is cause i think it might be the perfect heatsink for an application like this in a shuttle box. you might be able to run it completely passive because of its relatively close proximity to the exhaust fan for the CPU on the ICE heatpipe cooler.

also, thermalrights website doesnt state it works with the new 7800 series. anyone know if they are going to come out with a new revision to make it work with them?

wundi

Post by wundi » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:42 pm

Has the V-1 been tested in other than a normal tower system? Thermalright warns on their website of using it in a situation where the heatpipes are pointing down. I'm no heatpipe expert so I'll just say it'd be wonderful if it somehow worked anyway.

Yet I doubt the V-1 could be used in this application in any case. The heatpipes just seem to rise too high above the card. See how little clearing there is and how much is required.

Rik
-- Vendor --

Post by Rik » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:36 am

pyotr wrote:Looks real nice, though I think the streetprice will be too high compared to the competition. The AOpen MZ915-M retails for 324 euro for example. And, while not a SFF, a combination of the Antec P150 case and a mATX Pentium M board definately has it charms at 340 euro.

Question to Rik: on "features" page of the SD11G5 says: "Low power -
Advanced dual core technology for multitasking and digital media." Is this correct, is the upcoming dual core Pentium M "Yonah" supported?
Sorry that was an error and has been corrected now. As with the change from Pentium 4 to Pentium D, the 'Yonah' pentium Ms will need a new chipset.

Availability should be soon in most places. Possibily before the end of the month.

We are looking into the PSU 'squeel'.

Aris

Post by Aris » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:19 am

wundi wrote:Has the V-1 been tested in other than a normal tower system? Thermalright warns on their website of using it in a situation where the heatpipes are pointing down. I'm no heatpipe expert so I'll just say it'd be wonderful if it somehow worked anyway.

Yet I doubt the V-1 could be used in this application in any case. The heatpipes just seem to rise too high above the card. See how little clearing there is and how much is required.

yeah i see what you mean. the orientation of the heatpipes might effect cooling slightly, but from reviews ive read where they turn heatpipes around, its usually only a couple degrees at most.

the support bar above the video card does look like it would get in the way though, i didnt see that at first. i think it would still be possible if you modd'd the support bar a little bit.

Aris

Post by Aris » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:59 pm

Mike? i was wondering if you checked to see if the mounting holes around the CPU socket were of a certain standard, or if it was a proprietary demension like on the aopen pentium m board.

if it is a standard hole set, which standard is it?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:10 pm

non-std, afaik.

Don't know why anyone would want to mess with the HS. Has tons of headroom, it could easily cool double the heat output of the 770 (27W TDP).

Aris

Post by Aris » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:21 pm

well im trying to figure out a way to put a 7800gt into it without making it loud and without modding the side of the case to make somthing third party fit.

i found a low profile waterblock thats just less than 1" thick that im thinking might fit. and if i did that, id prefer to just put a waterblock on the cpu as well, and put a radiator where the fins for the cpu I.C.E. cooler are now.

heres a list of the items i found so far i think i could easily fit into this case.

GPU Waterblock
Pump
Reservoir
Radiator

Owen1978

Post by Owen1978 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:29 am

Rik wrote:
pyotr wrote:Looks real nice, though I think the streetprice will be too high compared to the competition. The AOpen MZ915-M retails for 324 euro for example. And, while not a SFF, a combination of the Antec P150 case and a mATX Pentium M board definately has it charms at 340 euro.

Question to Rik: on "features" page of the SD11G5 says: "Low power -
Advanced dual core technology for multitasking and digital media." Is this correct, is the upcoming dual core Pentium M "Yonah" supported?
Sorry that was an error and has been corrected now. As with the change from Pentium 4 to Pentium D, the 'Yonah' pentium Ms will need a new chipset.

Availability should be soon in most places. Possibily before the end of the month.

We are looking into the PSU 'squeel'.
Is there going to be revision 2 of this in the future, as we all know the zen wasnt perfect it had its problems but not updated revision ever came out.

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:40 am

well scratch the watercooling idea. i just measured the space between one expansion slot to the next, and i got 21mm. and that includes the 2 or 3mm for the video card itself and the gpu die on it. so you MIGHT have room for a 17-18mm thick cooling device. just FYI: 25mm is roughly 1inch.

MikeC: could you measure the distance from the pci-e 16x slot to the exterier of the case and see if mabey theirs a little extra room between the end of the motherboard and the side of the case. the pictures you took made it seem like their may be. even if its only a few millimeters, it may be just enough to put a slimline waterblock or mabey some other 3rd party cooler on video cards.

this is probably going to be the hardest part for people who want a shuttle rig and have it run a fast video card, and be quiet all at the same time. too bad shuttle doesnt have some heatpipe system for GPU's. they could do a hush style thing and put some heatpipes from the video card to the side of the case.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:29 am

This new passive VGA cooling solution from ASUS looks very clever & promising.

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:44 pm

MikeC wrote:This new passive VGA cooling solution from ASUS looks very clever & promising.
OH WOW! its about time someone thought about putting the GPU on the backside of the card. its makes WAY more sense. i hope they do a full line like that. it would make cooling video cards ALOT easier

kuril

Post by kuril » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:14 am

I'm contemplating this so as to enable use of two 3.25" drives without case amplification of drive seeks:

*cut the lower 3.25" drive bay off from the drive carriage
*drill one hole at each end on each seating rail of the carriage
*drill matching holes on case support structure, and
*rig up a isolation suspension so that two drives can sit comfortably within in.

Perhaps the suspending material should not be elastic to prevent drooping, but, I imagine the hdds could sit on such material instead.

At issue would be what knots to use to prevent the support from self-destructing. Perhaps elastic could be used in a "bridge" fashion, where the drives sit on the concave "bridge" with material sitting in between the drives, so as to some air flow and prevent transmission of noise or vibrations from drive to drive.

That is all :-) [/list][/list]

z5300

Post by z5300 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:33 pm

1st time poster and noob here...

Just wondering, are there any 92mm fans that support PWM (4 pin Mboard connector) out there currently, besides cpu cooler fans? If not, would you be able to strip and install the fan off of a cpu cooling unit (eg http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod1780.htm)?

Clinton

HELP - new SD11G5 fails to Boot with M770 (2.13 GHz)

Post by Clinton » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:27 am

I just bought the SD11G5, Pentium M 770.

My new system wont POST (run BIOS) - I only get a black screen.

I've done some troubleshooting, and it comes down to the CPU. Shuttle says that the 770 (2.13GHz) is not officailly supported, only up to 760 (2.0 GHz). However, this review and all the other reviews have successfully used the 770!

MikeC - did you tweak the BIOS in anyway or did your SD11G5 work with the M 770 out of the box?

Rik - should the current BIOS run the 770 dispite the Tech Support Help Line suggestion otherwise?

Thanks for your help. I really want to get this configuration running!

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:14 am

Clinton --

No tweaking, IRRC. It worked with the first turn on.

oryon

SD11G5 with Asus N6600GT Silencer card

Post by oryon » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:03 am

Hi,

I'm planning to buy SD11G5 and trying to find out which graphic card will be the best. My very first requirement is silence, so I mentioned about Asus Extreme N6600GT Silencer/HTD. My only worry about it, if it fits in SD11G5. Did anyone have clue about this?

Thanks,

oryon

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: SD11G5 with Asus N6600GT Silencer card

Post by MikeC » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:36 am

oryon wrote:Hi,

I'm planning to buy SD11G5 and trying to find out which graphic card will be the best. My very first requirement is silence, so I mentioned about Asus Extreme N6600GT Silencer/HTD. My only worry about it, if it fits in SD11G5. Did anyone have clue about this?

Thanks,

oryon
It will be very tight. Maybe it will fit.

oryon

Re: SD11G5 with Asus N6600GT Silencer card

Post by oryon » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:54 pm

MikeC wrote:Hi,

It will be very tight. Maybe it will fit.
OK ;) I'll try to negotiate with my computer dealer to find out in stock. I'll let you know in few days..

Xavier

Noise from the SD11G5 "power brick"

Post by Xavier » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:07 am

Same post as above but without mistakes:

Two different reviews of the Shuttle SD11G5 ( SPCR and Matbe) have revealed a high pitched noise from the power brick when the PC is off.
Has any one else experienced this noise problem?
How bad is this noise?
The experience of the first buyers could be helpful here...
I am trying to determine if this is a problem with all the power bricks or just some of them.
Thanks in advance...
Xavier

oryon

SD11G5 just bought

Post by oryon » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:24 am

Hi, finally I have just bought my SD11G5 yesterday with Asus Extreme N6600 Silencer. Asus 6600GT Silencer wont fit in SD11G5 !

But I've got other and well serious problem with SD11G5. I bought Kingston 1GB DDR2 module and my SD11G5 acting weird with this one. In XP install it reboots whole system in random time intervals from 1 to 5 minutes. Never past thru loading first drivers of XP install :(
Now I'm running latest Memtest86+ and wondering if this DDR2 module isn't wrong.

Memtest86+ also reboot whole computer after something about 11 minutes going.

Has anyone clue what may be wrong with this one?

oryon

Re: Noise from the SD11G5 "power brick"

Post by oryon » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:33 am

Xavier wrote:Same post as above but without mistakes:

Two different reviews of the Shuttle SD11G5 ( SPCR and Matbe) have revealed a high pitched noise from the power brick when the PC is off.
Has any one else experienced this noise problem?
How bad is this noise?
The experience of the first buyers could be helpful here...
I am trying to determine if this is a problem with all the power bricks or just some of them.
Thanks in advance...
Xavier
Xavier, my SD11G5 power "brick" is silent enough. When I move my ears in distance 50cm and less I notice very quiet sizzling. That's all sound what came from it.

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:24 pm

Thank you for the information, Oryon. I will go ahead and buy the SD11G5. Hope you find a solution for your problem...
Xavier

oryon

Finaly got the bug !

Post by oryon » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:55 am

My problem, which was described below, was caused by wrong Pentium M 760 processor. I try to downclock it, but the error was shown only in few minutes later than it was on full clock (2.0 GHz).
So I tried other CPU, and it worked fine.

I'm just wondering about that Intel could make in year 2005 a wrong CPU ;(

gregRowe

Post by gregRowe » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:23 am

I've been running an SD11G5 for a couple of weeks now. I'm running Linux and I chose to go diskless to make it as silent as I can get it. I'm incredibly pleased with this machine. It is nearly inaudible to me. I can hear it if I'm not talking.

My power-brick does make a small amount of noise but I think it's even less noise than the SD11G5 itself.

Greg

Xavier

Very happy with the SD11G5 !

Post by Xavier » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:06 am

I have been runnig the SD11G5 for 2 days now. It is fitted with the Nexus fan and the HDD tested in the SCPR article and is indeed incredibly quiet, almost inaudible!
The noise from the power brick can be heard only in a very quiet environment and when you get real close, about one foot away. Not a problem.
Xavier

Heyhsia

SD11G5 - Fanless Cards

Post by Heyhsia » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:30 am

Hi everyone,

After 2 years of performance problems with the Fragbox and putting up with the incessant whining of its 5 fans, I'm assembling an SD11G5 (which is a challenge to do from China!) My goal is to create a near-silent machine. I'll use a Nexus 92 w/Zalman fanmate.

Any suggestions on a fanless graphics card that would fit and not overheat the rig? I'm willing to sacrifice performance for a cooler running fanless card. Has anyone tested the Asus Extreme ax700 Silencer in the SD11G5?

Grateful for anyone's insights as I'm a newb to barebones construction.

Heyhsia

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:10 pm

I know they're not on the market yet, but if the 7600GS lives up to its hype it should be the fanless part of choice once it hits the big time. It's reported to be a 32W part with a reference heatsink straight from NVidia that is fanless. Search around the forums for a thread on it with more details.

Edit: Should have written 7600GS, not GT.
Edit II: Should have written 32W instead of 23W.

Heyhsia

SD11g5

Post by Heyhsia » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:11 pm

Thanks for the tip Devon.

Spoke with Shuttle tech support today. Pentium M 780 is compatible with the SD11g5.

Clinton

Post by Clinton » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:42 am

Just a follow up to my problems with 770 and Shuttle:

It works! The CPU socket on my motherboard was odd. If I turn the screw to the full locked position the computer will fail to POST. If I just snugged the screw up (3/4 locked) but not fully locked position the CPU works fine.

Over tightening problem.. weird eh?

System has worked fine for months now. Super quiet with Seagate notebook drive.

My PSU also squeals ( 1m away ) when the computer is off BUT Its always in standby for Media Center anyways, so not an issue.

Anyone running a second TV tuner in the 16x PCIe slot?

I am enjoying a PowerColor 550 Pro PCIe in the 1x slot.