FSP Green PS FSP400-60GLN

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Techno Pride

Post by Techno Pride » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:00 am

cAPSLOCK wrote:It's hard being an ecologist and liking computers at the same time, but the concept for this PSU rocks: cheap, simple and ecologically friendly.
Apart from that the fact that it doesn't weigh much can be great for LAN partyers, after the case the PSU is the heaviest component. The thinner cables might also make it a bit lighter. If you painted this thing black, put a flashy LED fan in it, made a retail package that doesn't mention the ecological stuff (apart from the fact that the paint would contradict this, many people find ecological stuff uncool), with slogans that make it seem like "the beast" and "gamer special", etc..., oh, and double the price, FSP could make a killing :lol:
Aopen has already done this, with their 400 and 700w versions of the Greenpower and Epsilon in black and multicolour LED bling bling.

mattthemuppet
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by mattthemuppet » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:24 pm

just had a thought about why the heatsinks cool better than their size would suggest - the middle (main?) HS is bolted to the PSU case (the side that the cables come out of) with some TIM between the HS and the case. Perhaps by using the metal of the case as an extended HS, smaller HSs can be used? It's not something that I've seen in other PSUs reviewed here - perhaps another example of it's nerdiness?!

EricTerminator

Post by EricTerminator » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:20 am

Hi all !

It's been ages since I last posted on this forum.

I also made some tests on my FSP400-60GLN, on my PC (P4C 3.0GHz @ 3.3GHz, VCore = 1.60V, 2x512MB DDR500, X800XT PE, etc...), and I had an impressive efficiency of 83.25%, with an error margin of 1.92%.

It's not an extremely good test as SPCR's one (I don't have a 10'000 $ laboratory ! :lol: ), but this is a result I could calculate at home, using an European AC 220V. :wink:

For those who can read French (Mike Chin, can you read it ?), here is my small test : http://www.pcsilencieux.com/forum/viewt ... c&start=60

On page 8, there is a small explanation of the calculus for the efficiency, with some beautiful partial derivatives ! :mrgreen:

See you

EricTerminator

Post by EricTerminator » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:21 pm

mattthemuppet wrote:just had a thought about why the heatsinks cool better than their size would suggest - the middle (main?) HS is bolted to the PSU case (the side that the cables come out of) with some TIM between the HS and the case. Perhaps by using the metal of the case as an extended HS, smaller HSs can be used? It's not something that I've seen in other PSUs reviewed here - perhaps another example of it's nerdiness?!
I confirm your suspicion ; for calculating the efficiency of this PSU, I had to use a very accurate thermometer (accuracy : 0.1°C), and the idea is simple. If your PC has only one airflow that enters in your case, refreshes your components, then enters from one entry in the PSU, and leaves the case, you can easily calculate the efficiency.

Let's say the temperature at the entrance of the case is T1, the temperature at the entry of the PSU is T2, and the exit temperature is T3. So the efficiency (I had to write a lot of lines on my forum of PCSilencieux, and it's in French, so it would be quite long to translate it...) is simply (T2-T1)/(T3-T1).

For my first attempt to measure the efficiency, I had the following temperatures :

- T1 : 23.7°C
- T2 : 41.7°C
- T3 : 35.2°C

If you make the calculus, and if it were real, you'd be a multi-trillionaire, and your name would be in the memories for the whole millenary, because I had the incredible efficiency of 156.5% ! :mrgreen:

The error was in the protocol of test ; to measure T2, I stuck the thermometer's probe on the case of the PSU, which is hotter than the air's temperature I should measure...

This type of engineering is quite interesting, since it explains how FSP could drastically reduce the PSU's weight, while not overheating it. But since the PSU's case drives a part of the heat outside the PSU, there are a few Watts which go directly in the PC's case. It's not dramatic, since with an 80%+ efficiency there won't be a lot of Watts, but I'm thinking of a way to reduce this effect.

A simple of way of improving the heat extraction is to simply use some adhesive thermal epoxy that glue additionnal and bigger heatsinks directly on the original and tiny heatsinks. Of course, the ideal would be to use copper heatsinks, and to find a shape that is a good compromise between less drag and more heat exchange surface.

If I could make copper heatsinks with the shape of blades guiding the airflow to the exit, but which microscopically look like some active coal (It's the material used in gas masks to filter the air.), I think I may cool passively an overclocked Pentium Extreme Edition in the Sahara ! :lol:

See you

lukr

Update

Post by lukr » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:08 am

Just bought a Green Power, and there are some differences compared to the review sample:

The good: The fan is an ADDA AD1212LB-A71GL (the same as in new S12 PSUs).

The bad: No PCI-E connector, only 1 SATA power conn, less peripherial connectors and the main ATX power connector is 24pin, non-detachable.

(bought from the official Hunagrian importer, and the box-graphics shows both the PCI-E connector and the detachable +4 pins from the main power connector...)

mb2

Post by mb2 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:46 am

EricTerminator wrote:A simple of way of improving the heat extraction is to simply use some adhesive thermal epoxy that glue additionnal and bigger heatsinks directly on the original and tiny heatsinks. Of course, the ideal would be to use copper heatsinks
there will be 0 point in using copper heatsinks, as the heat would only flow at the rate of the slowest- the Al, or the TIM (epoxy). but modding bigger heatsinks is certainly a good idea.. not sure what ur talking about with active coal and stuff thou..

Howard

Post by Howard » Sat May 27, 2006 6:22 pm

Does anybody know what brand(s) of capacitors are used in the power supply?

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Sun May 28, 2006 7:59 am

If I'm reading the photo that I have correctly, some of them are OST, and there seem to be some others that I can't read. I'll try to remember to have a look next time I'm in the lab.

Howard

Post by Howard » Mon May 29, 2006 1:30 pm

Devonavar wrote:If I'm reading the photo that I have correctly, some of them are OST, and there seem to be some others that I can't read. I'll try to remember to have a look next time I'm in the lab.
Thanks. :)

frisky

Post by frisky » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:03 am

Howard wrote:Does anybody know what brand(s) of capacitors are used in the power supply?
This is from a Aopen Prima Power 400W which is a OEM of the FSP model
It shows a CapXon capacitor.

The following photo proves that they are the same PSU.

ddekany

Post by ddekany » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:26 pm

Do these PSU-s come with the Yate Loon or the Protechnic fan nowadays?