Thecus N7710-G 7-Bay NAS with 10 GbE

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Thecus N7710-G 7-Bay NAS with 10 GbE

Post by Lawrence Lee » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:35 pm

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: Thecus N7710-G 7-Bay NAS with 10 GbE

Post by MikeC » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:29 am

For those who are interested in this Thecus but want much lower noise, the obvious steps are to slow down the case fans (either by replacing them or a simple in-line resistor like the ones supplied with all Noctua heatsinks), the CPU cooling fan (online resistor is probably best), and the PSU fan. The last does require swapping out the fan in the PSU, which is not recommended unless you have experience and/or are very handy. The alternative to swap out the PSU for a quieter one. A reasonable bet is the Seasonic 80+ Bronze 250W 1U/FlexATX -- http://www.seasonicusa.com/PDF/Catalog/ ... ve-PFC.pdf They claim 25 dBA@1m at full load, which suggests that at much lower load (like the <100W loads here), it will be <20 dBA.

Another forum member recently did a swap (in a different system w/ noisy PSU) with a similar 1U Seasonic, with good results:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67975&p=589237#p589237

Of course, this kind of modding will likely invalidate your warranty. Do keep in mind that no matter what fan mods you do, 7 of even the quietest, lowest-vibration HDDs will produce at least ~18 dBA@1m.

doverosx

Post by doverosx » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:37 am

I believe the comment towards the 10Gb card and 1Gb devices not allowing "full performance" is based on the usual assumption that the only benefit to higher interface speeds is to achieve higher full saturation on the network. A 10Gb card allows 10x 1Gb saturation....so the typical benefit is that you can saturate the network for 10 clients at full speed which is amazing when you compare the alternative; 10 clients achieving 100Mbps at full saturation.

Pétur

Post by Pétur » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:52 am

I personally own a TS-269 and I must say it is among the loudest small models (<= 8 bays) they produced. Compared for example to the TS-239 I also have.

However, QNAP has been listening to (my) cirticism, and the new models (out since a few months) are remarkable. If there's a model to be tested, it should be the TS-x51 or TS-x53.

I am testing a TS-451 and not only is it at least twice as fast as the TS-269, it produces a fraction of the noise. It is so remarkable that in order to hear it I have to load an SSD because when there's spinning rust inside, that's the only thing I hear.

I hope you can manage to get a TS-x51 on test. I might be able to help if you have trouble getting one on test.

[full disclosure: I run a community forum for QNAP users and have good contacts with QNAP, but I'm not on their employee list]

wayner
Friend of SPCR

Post by wayner » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:01 pm

doverosx wrote:I believe the comment towards the 10Gb card and 1Gb devices not allowing "full performance" is based on the usual assumption that the only benefit to higher interface speeds is to achieve higher full saturation on the network. A 10Gb card allows 10x 1Gb saturation....so the typical benefit is that you can saturate the network for 10 clients at full speed which is amazing when you compare the alternative; 10 clients achieving 100Mbps at full saturation.
I imagine to do this you need a 10Gb switch - are these available at reasonable prices for an 8 or 16 port switch? Any recommendations? There is an 8 port Netgear on Amazon for a little over $800.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:15 pm

wayner wrote:
doverosx wrote:I believe the comment towards the 10Gb card and 1Gb devices not allowing "full performance" is based on the usual assumption that the only benefit to higher interface speeds is to achieve higher full saturation on the network. A 10Gb card allows 10x 1Gb saturation....so the typical benefit is that you can saturate the network for 10 clients at full speed which is amazing when you compare the alternative; 10 clients achieving 100Mbps at full saturation.
I imagine to do this you need a 10Gb switch - are these available at reasonable prices for an 8 or 16 port switch? Any recommendations? There is an 8 port Netgear on Amazon for a little over $800.
Early days yet. That might still be the only SOHO level 10Gbe switch for CAT6. Unfortunately, I've seen complaints that it's noisy, so unless you can tuck it away where the noise won't bother, keep waiting for a better option. They will come.

wayner
Friend of SPCR

Post by wayner » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:18 pm

I am not too worried - I don't know that I ever saturate a 1Gb network so this is more of a rhetorical question than actual right now. To be honest, I am not sure how much a home user would need that fast a network connection, even with 4K video files.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:24 pm

wayner wrote:I am not too worried - I don't know that I ever saturate a 1Gb network so this is more of a rhetorical question than actual right now. To be honest, I am not sure how much a home user would need that fast a network connection, even with 4K video files.
A friend could really use this, but not at home: He runs a small video production business and need to edit/save large HD files w/ backups to their server. Apparently, the need for frequent backups is extremely tedious, and slow over their gigabit network. This might actually enable them to work directly from the server.

I'd love one... but only because it'd be so cool to have network speeds approaching internal SSDs!

wayner
Friend of SPCR

Post by wayner » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:28 pm

I do back up my SageTV media server (at least videos, photos and music) to my WHS every night but the incremental files added on a daily basis are pretty minimal. This could be useful for the initial multi terabyte data population though as that is limited by the NIC, unless I want to just plug the hard drive in the other server and then swap it over when it is done.