Tiny, Silent and Efficient: The picoPSU

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:31 am

Would it work to combine this with a VGA PSU, like the FSP Group BoosterX 3 and run a E6600 and 7950gt in SLI mode on it?
No. Pico can only handle 84W continuous load on 12V line.

BrytaPlanka

Post by BrytaPlanka » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:46 am

The PW-200-M one to?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:15 am

PW200M can only handle 144W max continuous load on 12V, E6600+7950GT SLI = 187.2W max continuous load.

PW200M manual

7950GT power consumption

BrytaPlanka

Post by BrytaPlanka » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:55 am

But the graphic cards wont be powered by the Pico as I wrote, it will be powered by the dedicated VGA PSU. Only 48w will be used for each grapic card. Thats the drain from the PCIE slot. The graphic cards priorities the PCIE slot and after that it use the extra power from the VGA PSU. It says so in this article: FSP VGA Power
Since the E6600 use 65W max it wont be enough anyway I guess..

The goal with this is that I dont want extreme heat in the chassi, but I want a stable fanless gamesystem. It will be cooled in a HFX Classic chassi with BORG heatpipes, but that is offtopic.

I might use the EF28 instead, it got 180W in the specifications for peak load. But it got only 10A on the 12V rail, how many ampere is needed to run a E6600?
Does the graphic cards ampere needs drain from the EF28 or does it take the ampere needed from the vga dedicated psu instead?
Sorry for the dumb questions, but I have no idea how ampere works. Wikipedia didnt help me either... :(

orihara

Post by orihara » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:44 pm

What's the point in getting the dedicated VGA PSU, if it's loud? It's not going to be any quieter than having a regular PSU in the case. The review you link to explicitly mentions that it's loud, due in no small part to the fact that it's cooled by a pair of 40mm fans.

BrytaPlanka

Post by BrytaPlanka » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:40 am

The fans can be disabled, but your right, might not be good, it says it runs hot. Might be better to use a normal PSU. I was worried about the ampere on the 12v rail, thats was the point.

EDIT: Ill stop talking about this now its not realted to the picoPSU anymore. I got some answers anyway. Thanks! :wink:

smartins

Post by smartins » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:13 am

I've just read the picoPSU article since I have a mini-ITX board on the way and I was looking for power sources.

Anyway, what catched my attention was the low power consuption of the AMD A64 3000+ venice on the DFI RS482 motherboard.

I've just assembled a system with a Asus N4L-VM motherboard and a mobile Core Duo T2400, single 80gb HD and dvd burner and I measured the system consuption at 42-45W, which is very close to the power consuption of the system used for the picoPSU review.

Anyone else was able to get such low power consumptions at idle with a Venice and a board with integrated graphics?

Buddabing

Post by Buddabing » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:49 am

Here's a power supply that looks like it is passive, takes American AC power as input, and can deliver 13 amps at 12 volts output. That's 156 watts.

http://www.trcelectronics.com/Cosel/r150u-12-n.shtml

Pricey at $170 dollars.

I think they have one that will take European power as well as one that will take both.

Edit: The 100 watt model outputs up to 8.5 amps and is about $125.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:18 am

IIRC they now make a PicoPSU that accepts 11-23V input or something like that, so no need to look for expensive 12V bricks.

b3nbranch
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by b3nbranch » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:51 pm

Just wanted to say that I swapped out an underutilized S12-380 for
the picoPSU-120 with 110w brick today, and it went very well. For
gory details, see the last point in this thread.

arrikhan

Post by arrikhan » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:40 am

borrible wrote:I have a general question about these PSUs
either the picoPSU or the PW-200M / V ....
..... And a SilverStone LC11 case, where I want to replace the PSU.
Am curious if you tried anything here. My PSU has failed and am looking for the quietest replacement for the LC11M.

Regards,

Arrikhan

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:24 pm

I ordered the older sibling, the PW-200-V from Short-circuit.com. With a Dell 220W brick or even the 12v from my power supply, it wouldn't even start my pc. The Motherboard lights come on, but once I hit the power button, the lights turn off and the system has no power. The guys at short-circuit said they spoke with the mini-box guys and they suggested I try the PicoPSU even though my load draw is close to the limits for the little thing. Well, I voiced these concerns in an email, and the reply was, "picoPSU-120 is a 200watt design with thermal limitations. Just try it and see how hot it really gets"....so, they're shipping me a pico once they recieve the PW200, they're also including a 4-pin atx cable for my troubles. If it works, I'll let you all know, and I'll update my system build thread.

mimwdv

Post by mimwdv » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:37 pm

I'll be interested to hear how it goes. I had the opposite problem. The system refused to start with the pico-PSU, but I swapped it out for the PW-200-V and it's fine (both using the 80W brick).

matt_garman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by matt_garman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:34 am

Is the PicoPSU supposed to come with the extra cables shown on page 2 of the review?

In particular, I need the 4 pin 12 V AUX cable.

My PicoPSU did not come with any of those extra cables. I ordered from Mini-box.com.

Matt

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:14 am

matt_garman wrote:Is the PicoPSU supposed to come with the extra cables shown on page 2 of the review?

In particular, I need the 4 pin 12 V AUX cable.

My PicoPSU did not come with any of those extra cables. I ordered from Mini-box.com.

Matt
No. You have to buy them.
http://www.mini-box.com/4-Pin-P4-Power-Cable

Flandry

Post by Flandry » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:39 am

That's a really neat idea!

I couldn't see the power bricks you used in the review on their page. There was nothing over 100W listed.

It would be really nice to see a test with a bigger brick (150W, say) to see how it handles in that power range (considering their own words, the picoPSU 120 is designed to handle 200W electrically).

Also, i see that they now have wide input models available, reducing the constraint that the brick output 12V. Considering one of my main motives for using these would be the higher efficiency, it would be nice to see this new regulating model tested.

Anyway, thanks for the high quality reporting. Now--give us more. ;)

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:58 am

Well, I've been successfully using the PicoPSU in my newish system.

X2 4000+ Brisbane
X1950pro
Geforce 7025 based mb
2 hard drives
2fans

The brick I'm using is the Dell Y2515 220W. I don't think I'd feel comfortable using the Pico unless the processor is undervolted. When it is undervolted, the system draws 83W from the wall idle, 100W when the CPU is fully loaded, and 130W when gaming. I'm pretty happy with the results, lets just hope it doesn't burn up on me!

Flandry

Post by Flandry » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:22 am

ryboto wrote:Well, I've been successfully using the PicoPSU in my newish system.

X2 4000+ Brisbane
X1950pro
Geforce 7025 based mb
2 hard drives
2fans

The brick I'm using is the Dell Y2515 220W. I don't think I'd feel comfortable using the Pico unless the processor is undervolted. When it is undervolted, the system draws 83W from the wall idle, 100W when the CPU is fully loaded, and 130W when gaming. I'm pretty happy with the results, lets just hope it doesn't burn up on me!
Ah fantastic. I am considering a Geforce 8600, which consistently draws a bit less power than the X1950 Pro, so that's very useful. Now, i just wish we knew a bit more about the efficiency of bricks. :?

Time for a brick roundup! :lol:

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:27 am

Flandry wrote:
ryboto wrote:Well, I've been successfully using the PicoPSU in my newish system.

X2 4000+ Brisbane
X1950pro
Geforce 7025 based mb
2 hard drives
2fans

Ah fantastic. I am considering a Geforce 8600, which consistently draws a bit less power than the X1950 Pro, so that's very useful. Now, i just wish we knew a bit more about the efficiency of bricks. :?

well, I can do some tests...I know the AC watts the pc is drawing, I can measure the 12v line for current, so I could figure out the efficiency of mine at a few loads, assuming my ammeter is fused for something like that.

Flandry

Post by Flandry » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:46 pm

ryboto wrote:
Flandry wrote:

X2 4000+ Brisbane
X1950pro
Geforce 7025 based mb
2 hard drives
2fans

well, I can do some tests...I know the AC watts the pc is drawing, I can measure the 12v line for current, so I could figure out the efficiency of mine at a few loads, assuming my ammeter is fused for something like that.
That would be much appreciated!

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:34 pm

ok, well, I've never tested current, but still, I tried. I put one of the test leads from my multimeter in the 10A slot, and kept the other in the COM, touched one lead to the positive, but when I touched the other to the negative, it sparked....and that's the end of that. No damage to the system, but I don't think I'll be trying it again. One thing I've noticed on the Pico, the solder points for the 12v in look burned. I wonder if I'm pushing it too hard? Or is this normal?

well, I just had Age of Empires 3 running, windowed, while watching a movie, and the system drew 134W from the wall. I had it running like this for ~3 hours. No issues at all, except for the fact that AOE3 likes to turn it's own volume up whenever you alt-tab away, and then back to it.

gfairbanks

picoPSU -- 20w

Post by gfairbanks » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:31 am

I just received the picoPSU-120 kit yesterday. The power brick has no fan. I also ordered the 4-pin p4 cable for $2, making the total $57. I'm building a quiet HTPC MythTV box. I'm using the ABIT AN-M2HD motherboard, an AMD BE-2350 CPU (2.4GHz, rated 45w), and an 80GB Seagate laptop hard drive.

Linux scales the CPU down to 1GHz when it's not used heavily, like when playing music or SD video. I was amazed to see the box pulling only 20w. Under full load it's pulling around 57w.

I just installed this, so I haven't yet looked into long-term heat buildup since there's no PSU fan. I may have to turn on one of the case fans. The on-mobo video chip and north(south?) bridge have big heatsinks, but the CPU has the stock AMD cooler for now, which is the only fan in the system right now.

I'll post more details once I've looked into the heat situation more.

Flandry

Re: picoPSU -- 20w

Post by Flandry » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:52 am

ryboto, thanks for risking life and multimeter on that! :wink:
gfairbanks wrote:I just received the picoPSU-120 kit yesterday. The power brick has no fan. I also ordered the 4-pin p4 cable for $2, making the total $57. I'm building a quiet HTPC MythTV box. I'm using the ABIT AN-M2HD motherboard, an AMD BE-2350 CPU (2.4GHz, rated 45w), and an 80GB Seagate laptop hard drive.

Linux scales the CPU down to 1GHz when it's not used heavily, like when playing music or SD video. I was amazed to see the box pulling only 20w. Under full load it's pulling around 57w.

I just installed this, so I haven't yet looked into long-term heat buildup since there's no PSU fan. I may have to turn on one of the case fans. The on-mobo video chip and north(south?) bridge have big heatsinks, but the CPU has the stock AMD cooler for now, which is the only fan in the system right now.

I'll post more details once I've looked into the heat situation more.

Which brick did you get, the 100 Watt one? If i wasn't determined to have a decent graphics card in the system i'd just go with that and be done with it. I don't think the 8600gt will be happy with 100 W total system power, though. :lol:

I just discovered LinuxMCE today while looking for the latest on MythTV, and was completely blown away. It uses MythTV but also wraps a bunch of other packages to provide a very amazing "complete" experience. Considering i was going to put Misterhouse and MythTV on the new box i'm setting up to run fulltime, LinuxMCE seems like a great option.

My thinking at this point is an Antec/Veris Fusion V2 case with C2D and Geforce 8600, both of them undervolted and underclocked as much as is possible to reduce power. When i need HD decompression/filtering or a gaming fix, i'll rev it up. Otherwise, it will sit and PVR/serve automation events/etc. I'll worry about picoPSU-ing it when i have a fix on its power draw and perhaps a better idea what the efficiency of those bigger brick supplies is. Anyway, i'll take this to another thread, but --

Please, anyone capable of doing so: measure and report the efficiency of your bricks you are using for PicoPSU projects, especially those over 120W.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:29 am

Would the Wide Input version of the picoPSU be as efficient as the regular one?

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:02 am

rpsgc wrote:Would the Wide Input version of the picoPSU be as efficient as the regular one?
^^

19V vs 12V which is more efficient?

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:15 am

rpsgc wrote:
rpsgc wrote:Would the Wide Input version of the picoPSU be as efficient as the regular one?
^^

If no one has any answers here, you could always pose this question over at minibox, they have a little forum i think.

Flandry

Post by Flandry » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:32 am

rpsgc wrote:
^^

I don't have any data, but consider what's happening here. In the 12V PicoPSU, the adapter passes through the 12V supply without messing with it. That means that its supply for 12V (the vast majority of system power draw these days) is ~100% efficient.

In the wide input version, the PicoPSU must regulate all of the input power to the proper voltages, which is never done at 100% efficiency.

So, assuming your input power supply (brick) is the same efficiency for either case, the original 12V-only PicoPSU is going to be more efficient.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:37 am

Flandry wrote:I don't have any data, but consider what's happening here. In the 12V PicoPSU, the adapter passes through the 12V supply without messing with it. That means that its supply for 12V (the vast majority of system power draw these days) is ~100% efficient.

In the wide input version, the PicoPSU must regulate all of the input power to the proper voltages, which is never done at 100% efficiency.

So, assuming your input power supply (brick) is the same efficiency for either case, the original 12V-only PicoPSU is going to be more efficient.
I see, thanks.

I was also asking because this 12V AC adapter has a (claimed) efficiency of >80% and its 19V counterpart has a (claimed) efficiency of >83%.

redtyler1

Help?

Post by redtyler1 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:14 am

Hi all,

I am building a low power consumption XP MCE box. These are the components:
Case: GMC AVC-S7
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H (55w)
CPU: AM2 Athlon X2 BE-2350 (45w)
RAM: OCZ Platinum 2gb (?w)
DVD: notebook slot DVD player (5w)
Video Card: MSI 8600GT (45w)
Hard Drive: Seagate 5400rpn 2.5 80gb (5w)

I've tried to estimate the components' power usage, but i am not sure if I have them correct.

I was going to use either the picoPSU-120 or the PW-200-M, but I don't know enough about the differences between the two, is it just wattage?, and whether the system i am building would work with the power brick mechanism.

I routinely build systems, but have never done this before. I am considering dropping the vid card since this will be exclusively an htpc. No gaming at all.

Can someone help me out? Thank you very much.

Alex

Kato

Post by Kato » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:50 am

Somebody answer the man, i am looking at bidding exactly the same thing using the exact same components , the only difference is i will make my own case, and instead of 8600GT i was thinking of getting 2600 XT but that is an option as well.