Asus Eee PC Seashell 1005HA netbook

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Asus Eee PC Seashell 1005HA netbook

Post by MikeC » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:33 pm

Last edited by MikeC on Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:26 am

Oops! You got the URL tag wrong :P

Good review but you guys should really review the Acer Timeline, it's yummy! Plus there is a new 11,6" model coming and none of that feeble Atom either! :)

Hypernova

Post by Hypernova » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:38 am

Is is just me or does the mouse look reaaaly ugly.

Almost like... a pen***

Back on topic, can the fan be controlled through speedfan and the like?

arhughes

Post by arhughes » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:04 am

I have a 1000HE and after playing with a 1005HA for a few minutes, I have to say that I prefer the 1000HE.

The 1000HE's multi-touchpad is far superior out of the box than the 1005HA, it supports more gestures like 2 finger scrolling (The 1005HA does the scroll up/down when you get to far to the right on the touchpad thing that I had). I also like the keyboard layout of the 1000HE better, whats up with the gigantic left/right arrow keys on the 1005HA?
Back on topic, can the fan be controlled through speedfan and the like?
I don't know if you can use SpeedFan, but there is a tool made specifically for the EEE: hxxp://cpp.in/dev/eeectl/

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:54 am

Hi Mike,

This is a timely review -- and now we are drooling about this unit... Do you know if it is compatible with Linux? Also, are there any models with SSD in the 32-40GB range?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:32 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hi Mike,

This is a timely review -- and now we are drooling about this unit... Do you know if it is compatible with Linux? Also, are there any models with SSD in the 32-40GB range?
Timely because you've been shopping for one? ;)

I haven't seen Linux options on this one. Maybe on the value model -- which I probably wouldn't choose (tho it has the matte screen).

There's another new market-busting product that amazingly is available only in Canada right now. Gateway EC Series ULV 11.6" Intel Core 2 Solo SU3500 1.4GHz Laptop (EC1803H). CA$500 killer price right now at www.futureshop.ca This is a very impressive model -- priced close to a netbook, but that processor puts it in a different class altogether. No problem with 720p. It could easily be the primary PC for most people --perhaps with an external slim optical drive.

If there are more models like this, they are going to shake up/differentiate the netbook and maybe the high end road warrior markets. The Lenovo X300 I bought last year for $1200 used looks now like a pretty bad buy -- tho it's still pretty damn cool & tough but battery life is nowhere near these...

Look for our review very soon.
Last edited by MikeC on Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:07 am

MikeC wrote:There's another new market-busting product that amazingly is available only in Canada right now. Gateway EC Series ULV 11.6" Intel Core 2 Solo SU3500 1.4GHz Laptop (EC1803H). CA$500 killer price right now at www.futureshop.ca This is a very impressive model -- priced close to a netbook, but that processor puts it in a different class altogether. No problem with 720p. It could easily be the primary PC for most people --perhaps with an external slim optical drive.

If there are more models like this, they are going to shake up/differentiate the netbook and maybe the high end road warrior markets.
*ahem*
rpsgc wrote:Good review but you guys should really review the Acer Timeline, it's yummy! Plus there is a new 11,6" model coming and none of that feeble Atom either! :)
http://www.acer.com/timeline/

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:19 am

rpsgc wrote:
MikeC wrote:There's another new market-busting product that amazingly is available only in Canada right now. Gateway EC Series ULV 11.6" Intel Core 2 Solo SU3500 1.4GHz Laptop (EC1803H). CA$500 killer price right now at www.futureshop.ca This is a very impressive model -- priced close to a netbook, but that processor puts it in a different class altogether. No problem with 720p. It could easily be the primary PC for most people --perhaps with an external slim optical drive.

If there are more models like this, they are going to shake up/differentiate the netbook and maybe the high end road warrior markets.
*ahem*
rpsgc wrote:Good review but you guys should really review the Acer Timeline, it's yummy! Plus there is a new 11,6" model coming and none of that feeble Atom either! :)
OK, so we're on the same page. ;)

In fact, we're ahead by a step or two -- the review of this Gateways is almost done. 8)

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:22 am

There's also the new Samsung X120, although it might be more expensive.

But the Timeline is sexy :)

Mescalero

Post by Mescalero » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:06 am

I always like it if you review things like notebooks and not just fans and heatsinks (although I read all of those reviews as well). Keep on diversifying! SPCR is the hardware site I trust most.

I have a question concerning the way you express battery capacity. You tend to give it in W/h which I find a) unusual and which b) I also think makes no sense.
I'm used to seeing battery capacity being given in A*h or mA*h. W*h would also make sense (since it'd be an energy term, A*h is electric charge) W is energy over time which makes W/h energy over time squared which makes no sense in this context.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:12 am

Mescalero wrote:I always like it if you review things like notebooks and not just fans and heatsinks (although I read all of those reviews as well). Keep on diversifying! SPCR is the hardware site I trust most.
Thank you. :)
I have a question concerning the way you express battery capacity. You tend to give it in W/h which I find a) unusual and which b) I also think makes no sense.
I'm used to seeing battery capacity being given in A*h or mA*h. W*h would also make sense (since it'd be an energy term, A*h is electric charge) W is energy over time which makes W/h energy over time squared which makes no sense in this context.
I agree w/ you... but we're just quoting Asus. 99% of the time, specs are from the mfg. It's when we dissect a spec for whatever reason (like dBA) that we delve into all the technical details. This might happen, for example, if we run into two similar laptops that have differently spec'd batteries and one still runs longer.

K.Murx

Post by K.Murx » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:31 pm

A Netbook without SSD? Why would I buy that?
It just does not make sense to me to put a HDD into something that is supposed to be carried around in unusual places (my EEE 900A spends quite some time in jacket pockets, e.g.) and will probably be beaten up a couple of times (the aforementioned Netbook sustained ~4-5 falls from > 1m already).

Small other nitpick: In the last table on the first page, there are some stars... without any explanation for them?
NeilBlanchard wrote:Hi Mike,

The Wireless chipset is pretty new, so you might have to track down some driver issues. There's some talk on the Ubuntu forums about that already.
Oh, and the automatic downclocking will probably not work. Of course, there's also some free tools for that, but I nether bothered to track them down - the standard laptop kernel already does quite a good job at sending the CPU to S3 when not needed.

Otherwise, the hardware is pretty much standard and should be supported in ...whatever distro you want to install ;)

mattthemuppet
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by mattthemuppet » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:38 pm

rpsgc wrote:

*ahem*
I have to say, I'm extraordinarily happy with my 13.3in Timeline - it's the $800 dual core+SSD model from Newegg - which gets me a good 6.5-7h general use on a single charge (no entering sleep, just autodim on the LCD, fairly constant use at work). It's a bit heavier and wider (obviously :) but a little thinner than the Asus. Not small enough to put in a pocket but easy to slip into a small backpack. I would buy another in an instant if I needed to!

gtquan

Post by gtquan » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:44 am

I picked up a Gateway EC1803 w/ Core 2 Solo SU 3500 from futureshop. I was looking for a 'netbook' mainly for travelling, surfing the web around the house, some office stuff. Wasn't really interested in the atom processor based netbooks. Wanted a 10-11 inch screen. Didn't want to spend $2000 on a high performance ultralight portable. I was hoping the via nanos would hit the market but what from what I've seen so far these don't seem to be much better than atom based 'netbooks'.

Bestbuy Canada carries a Gateway LT110 based on an Athlon 64 for for $349 up here. I liked the look of it and it runs vista, decent graphics. Also considered the HP pavillion which is 12.1 inches based on the AMD Neo - seems much bigger and is a lot more. I then came across the EC1803 and for the price $499 is seemed a good deal. 3GB of ram, 250 GB hard disk, intel GMA4500MHD graphics (would have preferred an ATI solution). Seems to have the same chasis as the LT 110. I also see now that Bestbuy is carrying the Acer version of the of the EC1803 for $499 (Acer owns Gateway).

Quite happy with the EC1803. Seems quite fast for what I use it for. I streamed backed up DVDs from a NAS device over wireless to our bedroom TV through the HDMI port. No problem. Web pages load fast. Played with aero features - seems to work without difficulty. Decent build quality, very thin. Left mouse button sticks a bit if you don't press it in the centre. The fan runs pretty much all the time but it is very quiet, nowhere near as loud as my older sony vaio pentium M 1.6.

Very happy with it. Now if they came out w/ same computer with the core 2 duo ulv su9600 it could do well. Sony has one but it was >$2000.

Greg

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:10 am

gtquan wrote:Very happy with it. Now if they came out w/ same computer with the core 2 duo ulv su9600 it could do well. Sony has one but it was >$2000.
There is an Acer Timeline model with an SU9400 FYI. Model 3810T-944G32n (which thanks to the bloody boneheads at Acer Iberia it isn't available here). In the UK it's £660 (£160 more expensive than the single core version), that's roughly 760 € / $1175 CAD. Those prices are with 15% VAT mind you!

There's also the ASUS U20A. Though it's more expensive and only has a 3-cell battery :roll:

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:26 am

Nice review Mike.
I like the SPCR recommended logo. It would be cool if you could click it and have it take you to a list of links to SPCR recommended products.

I had a 1005 and returned it for the 1000he and been very happy.
Main reasons..
Glossy screen (on the N280 vrs.). Need my portable be viewable outside.
Tiny 19v plug. Need my portable to easily charge from solar/car/plane.(1000/900 series are 12v and sturdy)

FWIW:
1000he is being shifted to end of life status.

There is a slight problem some people are having with faulty 1005 chargers and batteries. replacement batteries for 1005 are not yet available. (another reason i returned it)

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:02 pm

K.Murx wrote:A Netbook without SSD? Why would I buy that?
I bought a Gateway LT3103u because it had the screen size/resolution I wanted, 2GB ram, and a keyboard I liked. It has a 6cell battery and I figure I can swap the 250GB hd out for a SSD as soon as the SSDs get cheap enough that I don't care that I'm tossing out a $50 hard drive.

I got my laptop tax free and I wasn't looking for an OEM SSD because:
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631&p=19 wrote: The largest SSD maker in the world is Samsung. Samsung makes the drives offered by Apple in its entire MacBook/MacBook Pro lineup. Samsung makes the drives you get if you order a Lenovo X300. In fact, if you're buying any major OEM system with an SSD in it, Samsung makes that drive.

It's just too bad that those drives aren’t very good.

...and now we're down to mechanical hard drive speeds

Holycrapwtfbbq? Terrible.

Now to be fair to Samsung, this isn’t JMicron-terrible performance. It’s just not worth the money performance.

The Samsung RBB based SSDs are rebranded by at least two manufacturers: OCZ and Corsair.

The OCZ Summit and the Corsair P256 both use the Samsung RBB platform.

The drive most OEMs are now shipping is an even older, lower performing Samsung SSD based on an older controller.

I talked to some of the vendors who ship Samsung RBB based SSDs and got some sales data. They simply can’t give these drives away. The Indilinx based drives outsell those based on the Samsung RBB controller by over 40:1. If end users are smart enough to choose Indilinx and Intel, why aren't companies like Apple and Lenovo?

Don't ever opt for the SSD upgrade from any of these OEMs if you've got the option of buying your own Indilinx or Intel drive and swapping it in there.

DAve_M

Post by DAve_M » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:08 pm

Agree that SSDs are not very good except from Intel and Indilinx. But Samsung SSD are still cheap and they are good enough to use as a main system drive for a netbook. They are not Jmicron bad.

Mike, I was expecting more of a SPCR take on the netbook review. For example, mentioning the Dell Mini 10 as an alternative which is a fanless model. Or maybe delving into the 1005HA a bit more for some sort of fan control or off switch under low loads. Maybe with software control.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:41 pm

DAve_M wrote:Agree that SSDs are not very good except from Intel and Indilinx. But Samsung SSD are still cheap and they are good enough to use as a main system drive for a netbook. They are not Jmicron bad.

Mike, I was expecting more of a SPCR take on the netbook review. For example, mentioning the Dell Mini 10 as an alternative which is a fanless model. Or maybe delving into the 1005HA a bit more for some sort of fan control or off switch under low loads. Maybe with software control.
I don't think the Sasmung SSDs that come in Lenovo are bad; in fact, it's quite decent. Not as good as the best retail SSDs but generally at least as good as HDDs -- and less fragile.

Having said that, don't think HDDs in netbooks are any worse than HDDs in other mobile devices, whether notebooks, cameras, MP3 players... I've been using laptops for years, never had a HDD failure in any of them. I don't abuse them but I don't think I baby them either.

Finally, w/ regard to your expectation on a "SPCR take" on this netbook, I did expand my comments a bit, but note my PoV regarding the required "quiet" level for a notebook, esp a netbook:
A small cooling fan ran almost continuously in the 1005HA. It's overall quality was smooth and benign, with very little in the way of annoying tonality. The overall level was also quite modest, about 24 dBA at the ISO 7779 standard seated user measurement distance (about 0.6 meters from the center of the keyboard). The idle noise of the hard drive was obscured by the fan noise except when it was seeking or writing intensely, when some drive chatter would become somewhat audible. Surprisingly, the fan rarely shut off. When it did (mostly just after turn on when ambient was cool), the noise level fell to ~18 dBA at 0.6m, quiet enough not to be noticed except in the dead of night in a quiet bedroom.

Noise was generally not perceived to be an issue. For a computing device whose foremost quality is mobility, the overall noise level does not have to be very low for it to be quiet enough. An ultra mobile notebook will be used in many places with acoustics that are noisy and well beyond the control of the user. The Seashell 1005HA could always be described as quiet, in any acoustic ambient.

qviri

Post by qviri » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:53 pm

Mike, thanks for the expanded comments. I'd be interested if someone could comment whether eeectl or other software can control the fan RPMs (and if so, how hot do things get running passive).

Your comments regarding locations where netbooks would be used are fair enough - but personally I can also see myself using a netbook late at night or even in bed, or perhaps as a low-power front-end to remote or web apps. In this case, fanless or quiet operation could be more handy.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:01 pm

qviri wrote:Mike, thanks for the expanded comments. I'd be interested if someone could comment whether eeectl or other software can control the fan RPMs (and if so, how hot do things get running passive).

Your comments regarding locations where netbooks would be used are fair enough - but personally I can also see myself using a netbook late at night or even in bed, or perhaps as a low-power front-end to remote or web apps. In this case, fanless or quiet operation could be more handy.
Like I said, it's quiet even w/ the fan on. 24 dBA/0.6m is pretty good. It's hard to hear beyond 1m in normal house ambient -- and mine is pretty low. It's not as quiet as my Lenovo X300, which has an SSD and a fan that turns off more often, but the difference isn't dramatic. I did use it in bed a few times and had no problems with the noise either. The main thing is that I don't think anyone would use it continuously for that long, so even if it was a bit annoying to you, it just wouldn't matter as much as with a "full-time" primary computer.
Last edited by MikeC on Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qviri

Post by qviri » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:28 pm

Gotcha. Thanks!

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:49 am

I woke up this morning intending to buy a 1005HA. This review hasn't changed my opinion. Its not perfect, but its the best evolution of the netbook so far and its price is very good (£250, most 10" rivals costing £250-350 with very little extra).
I plan on getting the cheaper matte display version with smaller battery since i will be using this in less than optimal lighting areas and glossy screens annoy me then. Also its £45 cheaper than the gloss version.

Thinking of trying ubuntu netbook version on it. Apparently it doesnt like the wireless connection out of the box but theres a workaround. We'll see if i can be arsed to try it.

RoGuE

Post by RoGuE » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:48 am

this...

..is sweet.

is this a new thing?

good review. If I find myself in the market for one..ill take this review into consideration! especially with the seal of aproval

ATWindsor

Post by ATWindsor » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:19 am

MikeC wrote:
qviri wrote:Mike, thanks for the expanded comments. I'd be interested if someone could comment whether eeectl or other software can control the fan RPMs (and if so, how hot do things get running passive).

Like I said, it's quiet even w/ the fan on. 24 dBA/0.6m is pretty good. It's hard to hear beyond 1m in normal house ambient -- and mine is pretty low. It's not as quiet as my Lenovo X300, which has an SSD and a fan that turns off more often, but the difference isn't dramatic. I did use it in bed a few times and had no problems with the noise either. The main thing is that I don't think anyone would use it continuously for that long, so even if it was a bit annoying to you, it just wouldn't matter as much as with a "full-time" primary computer.
Frankly i find 24 dBA at 0,6 meter to be pretty bad for a unit with such a minuscule power draw. It should be pretty easy to do better.

AtW

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:50 am

ATWindsor wrote:Frankly i find 24 dBA at 0,6 meter to be pretty bad for a unit with such a minuscule power draw. It should be pretty easy to do better.
sigh... have you actually listened to what 24 dBA/0.6 sounds like? This is ~19 dBA/1m. Trust me, it's quiet.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:51 am

RoGuE wrote:this...

..is sweet.

is this a new thing?

good review. If I find myself in the market for one..ill take this review into consideration! especially with the seal of aproval
viewtopic.php?t=55282

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:38 pm

MikeC wrote:
ATWindsor wrote:Frankly i find 24 dBA at 0,6 meter to be pretty bad for a unit with such a minuscule power draw. It should be pretty easy to do better.
sigh... have you actually listened to what 24 dBA/0.6 sounds like? This is ~19 dBA/1m. Trust me, it's quiet.
To be fair I understand his point. It's not about what is quiet and what it's not, it's about how such a low powered device could be so "loud". I mean, it consumes what, 10W?! That's just lazy engineering TBH. Really, a fan running all the time for a 10W device?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:25 pm

The NB, wifi, BT, HDD,RAM all make heat- not just the chip. The fan helps cool everything.
This thing is quiet and it wont cook your parts right after warranty expires, like so many net/laptops tend to.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:31 pm

xan_user wrote:The NB, wifi, BT, HDD,RAM all make heat- not just the chip.
Then you're saying that SPCR is wrong, because it clearly states: "System AC Power Consumption Measurements".