Scythe Mini Ninja review

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Fred

Post by Fred » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:22 pm

hmm... don't like that about it getting close to the RAM.
Is this going to fit on a mATX gigabyte board with four corsair DHX RAM(those with the extra high heatsink)...? Or is it a dead race?

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Sun May 04, 2008 3:20 pm

Felger Carbon wrote:Here. 100mm, 1000 or 2000 RPM. Veddy thin. Lotsa blades.
I'm wondering if this fan isn't the perfect fit for the Minja on a motherboard where the CPU socket is very close to a RAM slot?

Anybody with a Minja that has the stock fan hanging over a memory slot willing to measure it and/or give this fan a shot?

Note the 2000 RPM fan does less CFM thank the stock fan so this won't necessarily increase cooling capacity but it might help in tight spaces and it might be a quieter fan.

It does have a smaller hub in proportion to the fan diameter, and it will cover a wider portion of the fins on the left and right side of the Minja (any fan will cool the front and back side fins but the stock fan does not get air flowing over the full area of all the fins on all 4 faces).

It be great if someone could use speedfan or another method of fan control to test the stock fan vs this fan and report back the numbers.

robb99

Ninja Mini in passive (no fan) mode

Post by robb99 » Fri May 23, 2008 5:03 pm

As a result of the rating / review that SPCR gave for the Scythe Ninja Mini CPU cooler and the Accelero S1 GPU passive cooler, I bought and installed both of these products and my system is now totally quiet after upgrading the stock CPU and GPU fans with these great devices. When I press the power button, I sometimes have to check to see if the system has actually started!

The system case is an Antec 182 case and I'm only the 3 stock fans that came with the case. I ran the Sandra Lite burn-in tool and the CPU max'ed out at 51C with a avg temp of 36.3C. And the GPU on GeForce 8600 is maxing out at 46C. The system is actually running cooler now than it was with the two fans that I removed.

The in-depth, unbiased reviews on SPCR are great resources.

Cheers

Fueled

Post by Fueled » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:02 am

I'm considering the Ninja Mini for my new build. The only issue I have is about clearance with the motherboard.
My motherboard is a MSI 790FX-GD70, and after "measuring" clearance with a "straw-and-tape" mock-up, I have some doubts as to if it will fit.

I'm looking particularly at the Mosfets/NB heatsink and, most of all, at the first memory slot.

- Will the cooler's pipes clear the NB heatsink?
- How high a RAM module will fit in the first memory slot?

Anyone with the same motherboard and with the Ninja Mini, who could comment?

Also, I saw the Ninja Mini is now in its B revision. Anyone know what has changed?

Thanks!

robb99

Ninja Mini on MSI motherboard

Post by robb99 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:55 am

Fueled wrote:I'm considering the Ninja Mini for my new build. The only issue I have is about clearance with the motherboard.
My motherboard is a MSI 790FX-GD70, and after "measuring" clearance with a "straw-and-tape" mock-up, I have some doubts as to if it will fit.

I'm looking particularly at the Mosfets/NB heatsink and, most of all, at the first memory slot.

- Will the cooler's pipes clear the NB heatsink?
- How high a RAM module will fit in the first memory slot?

Anyone with the same motherboard and with the Ninja Mini, who could comment?

Thanks!
Don't know if your MSI board is the same footprint as my MSI MS-7345, but if it does, I had no problem with space and clearance on the 1st RAM chip & I have sufficient clearance surrounding the cooler pipes - it is a bit tight, but that all items fit just fine and I have no hot spots or issues. I'm also using a passive cooling on my I'm only using the 2 ANTEC 82 case fans and a very quiet Seasonic power supply fan. Never had any overheating problems on the CPU even in the middle of the summer.

The temps for my Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 hardware right now are:

Temperature sensor 0 29°C (84°F) [0x38] (core #0)
Temperature sensor 1 28°C (82°F) [0x39] (core #1)

Good luck!