Asus Triton 75 CPU Cooler

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Asus Triton 75 CPU Cooler

Post by MikeC » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:27 am

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:06 pm

Why's the 120 extreme not included in the comparison?
the artictle wrote:The Asus isn't embarrased by any of these high performance, low-airflow, cooling champs. It substantially outperforms the SI-128, which it's closest to in design. Especially at the very low airflow level of the reference fan at 7V, only the Ninja beats it by any significant margin.
Yeah, and also the 120 extreme that you have reviewed earlier beats asus by a large margin.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:27 pm

How about $60 vs $32? How about nobody expects the Triton75 to get close? We don't compare every HS to every other; just what seem appropriate. If you want to, you're free to scour the reviews and compare whatever to whatever to your heart's content. :roll:

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:41 pm

In an open (caseless) test setup, a tower HSF such as the Ninja can have unblocked straight-line airflow (theoretically) from infinity to infinity. A shelf HSF blows the fan straight at (or away from) the mobo, which is a nearby obstruction that 100% stops the airflow.

For this reason, tower HSFs have a huge airflow advantage over shelf HSFs like the Triton 75. They really should "win", and in your provided examples, they do.

Since what's being measured is cooling vs noise, it's a shame one of the new SlipStream fans wasn't tried out... :(

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:27 am

If it can't even touch the Ultra-120, why bother comparing it to the Extreme? Doesn't make much sense to me. That's like kicking it while it's down.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:57 pm

I agree with your logic on the TR Ultra so much I think it should be extended to the Ninja/Ninja Mini. Considering the price/weight/performance the Ninja Mini is a closer opponent than the Ninja.

The SI-128 and Andy were in the right size/price range. No complaints there.

Asus Triton 75 I can get for under $40 shipped and slap a Yate Loon D12SL on it that I bought for under $5 and its at least competitive vs the under $50 field.

Just depends on where the price ends up in a few months whether or not the Andy will be a better deal in the long run.

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:02 pm

The pricetag on this one suprised me as well.

I run dual cpu systems exclusively so the "measly" $50 for a mid range to high end cooler jumps to $100 or $120 (USD) so this is potentially a very big win for me.

mikellpp

Post by mikellpp » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:04 pm

I don't think comparing _todays_ test results for the Triton to _whenever_ days test results for the other coolers is really trustworthy.

I think you should only compare heatsinks that are tested at the same time (eg same day), otherwise there are too many variables in the test equipment, test setup, reviewer, atmospheric conditions, etc.

Even if you think everything is the same i don't trust comparisons unless all coolers are tested at the same time.

djkest

Post by djkest » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:11 pm

I think you guys are being a little critical. First off, it performs with the best of the top-down coolers. It costs less and weighs less than most of those larger tower heatsinks. It's also smaller (shorter) than many heatsinks. In my estimation, it's not a bad heatsink at all, and I might find myself using it in something. Don't forget TRUE doesn't even fit in many cases.

In my estimation, it did very well with a reasonable range of fan speeds. This could be used in a low power system silently. What about an HTPC case? This might be decent for an NSK-2480 also. Can you verify 90mm height + 25mm for the fan? So overall it's shorter than the scythe ninja, and 50mm shorter than a TRUE.

Nice review. LOL @ "fangs".

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:43 pm

djkest wrote:Don't forget TRUE doesn't even fit in many cases.
Besides that, i don't think you can (well you can obviously, but you know what i mean) compare any top down cooler vs a sideways one. Different designs for different uses, very airflow and case layout dependent on how well it will perform in your personal use.

niels007

Post by niels007 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:37 pm

Nice to see Asus re-affirm some of their brand name by finally introducing a cooler that works instead of their noisy bling things they had sofar..

Vahan

Post by Vahan » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:50 am

so should i choose the ultra 120 extreme over the triton 75 on an asus striker extreme in a p182? i want to overclock a qx6600, which means tdp of (im guessing) about 120w or more. voltage regulators have a big heatpipe on the high end asus boards and the triton will help cool them, but is that enough to justify it as a valid choice for the best performance?

in any case, i'd use a noctua nf-p12 because its the quietest and most appropriate non-sleeve-bearing fan for cooling the cpu.

your thoughts?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:28 am

Vahan wrote:so should i choose the ultra 120 extreme over the triton 75 on an asus striker extreme in a p182? i want to overclock a qx6600, which means tdp of (im guessing) about 120w or more. voltage regulators have a big heatpipe on the high end asus boards and the triton will help cool them, but is that enough to justify it as a valid choice for the best performance?
:!: :?: The ultra 120 extreme is better, of course! Just make sure you put it in a case with good airflow, because all those massive passive heatsinks on the board need some airflow to be effective.
in any case, i'd use a noctua nf-p12 because its the quietest and most appropriate non-sleeve-bearing fan for cooling the cpu.
They haven't been reviewed yet but when they are, the Scythe Slipstream fans will be at the top of SPCR's recommendations. For the same RPM, they blow bit more air, may make a bit more broadband noise (woosh), but are less tonal than the other top fans.

arga

Post by arga » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:35 am

Hey, Mike, you say that the Triton75 doesn't fit in your mobo, because it exits more than an inch out of it, in the upper side, and it will interfere with the PSU....
but I see that if you turn the Triton 180º, the problem dissapears.
(the heatpipes' elbows pointing upwards, to the PSU side).

could you please verify this?

thanks

(I have ordered this heatsink but I have the order "on hold" after reading your review)

arga

Post by arga » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:59 am

hummm, after looking at the pics again... I think that even if you rotate it 180º, it won't fit!!
thats a pity.

please, verify, I think I am going to cancel the order.

wbloon

Sharp claws on the Asus Triton 75

Post by wbloon » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:30 am

"What function could that little protrusion from the fins in each corner possibly serve? Certainly the effect on cooling with the extra bit of fin surface would be utterly trivial, so better thermal performance is not the goal."
---------------
The next time you have some ice cream pull it into small spikes. You will notice the spike tips melt much faster than the body of the ice cream mass. Heat exchange is much greater at a sharp point than from a "flat" surface.

So I would say that Asus actually did put those claws there to improve thermal performance. It would be neat to have an IR camera to image these 'sinks and see where the heat goes.

bobw

Orientation in Tower Case

Post by bobw » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:10 am

Which is the best way to orient the Triton 75 in a tower case?

At first guess it should go with the pipes making a U, but the Step 5 of the instructions has the bend of the heatpipes next to the I/O plate.

In which orientation will it cool best? Is the Triton 75 a bad choice for a tower case?

I did a Google search for heatpipe heatsink orientation. I didn't find much. Perhaps SPCR could do an article comparing performance?