Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Pirx

Post by Pirx » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:37 am

Hello :)

Nice review. Let me show you my DFI blood Iron with extreme in the next post :)

Pirx

Post by Pirx » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:38 am

mkygod

Post by mkygod » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:18 am

I have an Antec p150 case (aka white version of the Antec Solo). The SPCR review says that the support bar will obstruct the TRUE.

Does this mean I should stay clear of getting a TRUE? Or does this depend on the type of motherboard used. Some motherboards have the socket situated at different heights on the motherboard.

I want to know if I upgrade to a Core2duo with Abit IP35 Pro in my P150 case, will I have problems with the support bar obstructing the TRUE heatsink?

WR304

Post by WR304 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:03 pm

It depends on the motherboard whether you have room. :)

This pic shows the clearance with a Solo case, Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme cooler and Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 motherboard:

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Clearance in Antec Solo case

williamn6133

Post by williamn6133 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:53 pm

Why did you ditch your Scythe Ninja for this thermalright cooler?

mkygod

Post by mkygod » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:21 pm

WR304 wrote:It depends on the motherboard whether you have room. :)

This pic shows the clearance with a Solo case, Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme cooler and Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 motherboard:
Thanks for the photo. Its very helpful. The Abit IP35 pro motherboard i want to get has the socket sitting about 1 cm higher than on your Gigabyte board and it looks like you only have about 1/2cm clearance on your Gigabyte board until it hits the support beam. This means it will likely not fit on the P150/solo case using the IP35pro. Bummer. But its very hard to make out the depth in the picture. Would the heatsink hit the support beam if the socket was slightly higher up on the motherboard?

Anyone know if Thermaltake makes a similar performing model to the TRUE that is slightly less wide? Or can anyone recommend me another heatsink that is a bit less wide?
Last edited by mkygod on Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Conroy

Post by Conroy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:21 pm

Anyone know if Thermaltake makes a similar performing model to the TRUE that is slightly less wide? Or can anyone recommend me another heatsink that is a bit less wide?
Thermalright also makes the Ultima 90, which is smaller and gets very good reviews, http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsu ... spx?i=3068 for example

SPCR hasn't reviewed it yet though.

MaZa

Post by MaZa » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:15 am

Which one is more effective on passive cooling, TRUE or Ninja, on my upcoming P182 computer rig with Nexus fans? Im still undecided which cooler would is more effective, not counting the price.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:22 am

MaZa wrote:Which one is more effective on passive cooling, TRUE or Ninja, on my upcoming P182 computer rig with Nexus fans? Im still undecided which cooler would is more effective, not counting the price.
They're both very good, close to the best possible with very low airflow. Don't bother splitting hairs -- get the one that's easier, cheaper. Once it's on & running, just forget about it.

MaZa

Post by MaZa » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:48 am

MikeC wrote:
MaZa wrote:Which one is more effective on passive cooling, TRUE or Ninja, on my upcoming P182 computer rig with Nexus fans? Im still undecided which cooler would is more effective, not counting the price.
They're both very good, close to the best possible with very low airflow. Don't bother splitting hairs -- get the one that's easier, cheaper. Once it's on & running, just forget about it.

Okay, cool. Though the difference here in finland isnt that great. 43€ for Ninja and 52€ for TRUE. And adding 7€-9€ for thermalright bolt-thru kit for Ninja and difference is gone.

But also, one thing caught my eye. Normal Ultra-120 costs only 39€. Is its perfomance comparable to Ninja on passive system?

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:05 am

TRUE doesn't have a fan though (non of the Thermalright HS seem to have one), the Ninja is being shipped with a Slipstream 800 these days. So unless you have a fan laying around, it is still the cheaper option.

MaZa

Post by MaZa » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:24 am

Having a fan or no doesnt matter, as I have that side covered. I will have several Nexus 120mm fans where I can try different combinations, like passive with cooling done completely by the airflow and trying different ways to make optimal airflow through the cooler with least noise, or perhaps ditch the passive/semipassive idea and try push-pull with cooler fan blowing through cooler to exhaust fan, and so on. No matter, best cooling ability as passive will be the most important. Great cooling with several fans will only be extra if I ever get into hardcore overclocking.

walle

Post by walle » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:50 am

Excellent review as always, thanks. :)

WR304

Post by WR304 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:41 pm

mkygod wrote:The Abit IP35 pro motherboard i want to get has the socket sitting about 1 cm higher than on your Gigabyte board and it looks like you only have about 1/2cm clearance on your Gigabyte board until it hits the support beam. This means it will likely not fit on the P150/solo case using the IP35pro. Bummer. But its very hard to make out the depth in the picture. Would the heatsink hit the support beam if the socket was slightly higher up on the motherboard?
That picture is at a bit of an odd angle. It was originally taken to show the suspended fans rather than the support beam clearance.

There's a lot less than 1/2cm clearance between the support bar and Ultra 120 Extreme in my PC. The gap is only 2 or 3mm at most. :(

@williamn6133: I'd used the 3M adhesive to stick the Scythe Ninja Rev A backplate onto my previous Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard Image. Rather than potentially break the motherboard removing it I thought it was safer to buy a new CPU cooler.

An alternative to the Thermalright bolt through kit for the Scythe Ninja Plus rev B would be to get a Thermalright IFX-10 backplate cooler:

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/ ... VzaWFzdA==

I've bought one for my Ultra 120 Extreme, but the E8500 CPU is still on backorder so I haven't fitted it yet.:(

JockeII

Post by JockeII » Sat May 10, 2008 9:27 am

geofelt wrote:I can report that the U120-extreme fits a solo case with a gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 mobo; just barely.
That is interesting to hear. In the review of the U120-E they complained about not being able to fit it.

Because I will buy an Antec Solo case, I have an Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 mobo and am very interested in the U20-Extreme.

Anyone who can confirm that this will work, or am I forced to take the Asus Triton 75 instead?

lizrdtail

Post by lizrdtail » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:47 pm

Sorry to bounce such and old thread. Wondering if anyone knows how much benefit one gets from lapping the TRUE. Is it a necessary step to get it to perform better than a ninja?