Antec NSK-3480: 80-Plus Case

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
jaydeesan

Post by jaydeesan » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:21 am

Hopefully, they're making it 2-3" deeper, so that a tower heatsink doesn't conflict with the optical drive bay, and putting a fanless ~450W PSU in the front of the case, through which air can be drawn as an intake.
Uh, I sure hope it's a big NO on both... (not that I think we need to worry about either happening)... but especially making it deeper!

(btw, how does a heatsink interfere with an optical drive?)

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:48 am

Are we mixing up the NSK2480 and NSK3480 here? :?

neljeffz

Post by neljeffz » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:48 am

MikeC wrote:lethalox --

We've discussed P180 dust filters elsewhere. Yes, they help keep dust out but if you forget to clean the filters in a dusty environment, the component temps will rise up badly. On the flip side, if you don't use filters in a dusty environment, yes, the components will get dusty, but no way will the temps rise in the same way because air continues to flow through the case rather than being blocked at the filters. A dusty fan still spins and moves air, dusty fins with air moving across them still cools components -- the effect is not bad till the dust gets pretty thick.

Bottom line -- all computers need periodic cleaning, but forgetting to do so in a system with a dust filter can lead to overheating in a pretty short period of time.

ps -- I have not always held this opinion; I've come to it over time and experience with dust, filters, cats and pc cleaning.
Well thanks for some advice here

reddyuday
Patron of SPCR

Post by reddyuday » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:01 am

If Antec is updating NSK3480, I would like to see them add quality features without increasing the size.

I ended up building my system in NSK1380, but 3480 was a close runner-up. It is of the right size for me and has 3 external drive bays. The main thing that put me off 3480 was the difficulty of cable management. I think this difficulty will remain as long as they stick to the dual chamber design (which I am not a fan of), but they can at least add features to make it easier. Perhaps make the PSU modular, add hooks on the case walls to tuck the extra cables etc.

Some standard improvements that all modern cases should have: mounting points for 2.5" drives, front eSATA ports and HD audio ports.

Uday

Edit: How could I forget to mention that the depth of the case is excessively low? It limits the size of the PSU, the size of the optical drive, and adds to the difficulty of cable management. I would think 38cm would be a better depth for this case.
Last edited by reddyuday on Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:11 am

nutball wrote:Are we mixing up the NSK2480 and NSK3480 here? :?
Yes, yes we are.

*Leaves with tail between legs*

blacklit

Extra HDD Mount

Post by blacklit » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:57 pm

to date, i've not found an acceptable solution out there to mount more drives to this case. there's more than one way to do this but here's a clean and simple suggestion with NO case tampering or modification required--for those who don't have the tools, time, or patience. this method allowed me to install: 2x SSD's in RAID0 (w/ room to spare for 4x SSD's) and 3x 2TB WD Black in RAID5.

questions, comments, concerns, just let me know ~

parts needed (easy finds):
- scythe kaze-jyu 100mm fan
- zip ties
- hard drive grommets

optional:
- nexus doubletwin (for 2nd hard drive)
- silverstone SDP08 (for 2.5" drives)
** there are others but the SDP08 exactly duplicates all mounting holes of a standard 3.5" drive

Parts Needed:

Scythe Kaze-Jyu 100mm Fan..

Scythe Fan mounted to HDD w/ 4x zip ties and 4x grommets ready (grommets in actual position once installed)..

2x thicker Silicone Grommets in place (suited for recessed fan grill)..

first two (2) Zip Ties secured..

four (4) zip ties secured..

HDD mounted..

Optional Parts:

attach a 2nd hard drive using a Nexus Doubletwin..

use a Silverstone SDP08 for 2.5" drives..

Scythe Bay Rafter - another option for 2.5" drives..