Intel DG33TL G33 Express chipset mATX motherboard

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Intel DG33TL G33 Express chipset mATX motherboard

Post by MikeC » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:41 pm

derekva

Post by derekva » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:11 pm

Well, to be fair, when you buy an Intel motherboard, you don't buy for gaming innovation (or usually even Silent PC innovation) - you buy for reliability and ruggedness. It'll never be the Supra or the Prius - it is the Corolla of motherboards.

In other words, it's great for that computer build you're putting together for a friend or family member that you hope you'll never get support calls on. :D

-D

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:55 pm

That was as always informative without being the 29-page over-done piece of work we have come to love from X-Bit, but this had a slight twist of humour and sarcasm that made me feel at home.
many enthusiasts have snickered at Intel's so-called "Extreme Graphics."
The box's design screams excitement.
There isn't a whole lot you can do when it comes to fan control, just play with the settings and pray.
We would have liked to lower the CPU speed to see what effect it would have had on our test results, but due to the Orwellian BIOS, this just wasn't possible.
it simply has no soul
Sadly, it takes itself so seriously that it makes it hard for us to appreciate it
In the end, the DG33TL is a robot, a grunt, a simple but extremely effective soldier. Welcome to Sparta.
:lol:

Andy

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:56 pm

andyb wrote:That was as always informative without being the 29-page over-done piece of work we have come to love from X-Bit, but this had a slight twist of humour and sarcasm that made me feel at home.
Just couldn't hold back that Larry! :lol:

colin2

Post by colin2 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:20 pm

Thanks for a really good clear concise review. This is the kind of work that keeps me coming back to SPCR!

Would the system described have worked with a Ninja?

Suppose you don't need HDMI and can manage without mobo fan control, and mainly care about heat/power. How far is the described system from an AMD 690G (plus low-power CPU) PC in terms of heat and power consumption?

fri2219

Post by fri2219 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:59 pm

Humor is missing in most, if not all, reviews- which is a shame, because it's such an effective device.

I appreciate your efforts!

P.S. Yes, a Ninja fits with zero issues in my hands, but I use a Thermalright bolt-through kit. (Those ________ push pins could not have been designed and tested by anyone wanting repeat business.)
Last edited by fri2219 on Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:20 pm

colin2 wrote:How far is the described system from an AMD 690G (plus low-power CPU) PC in terms of heat and power consumption?
Larry explicitly mentioned that the review board is 17W higher at idle than the 35W of the Asus AMD690G system he reviewed a couple weeks ago. With more BIOS options, turning off any board features you don't use or need, you could probably make the idle lower, but not with this Intel board. Using CrystalCPUIDmight also help.

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:23 pm

Hmm I wasn't been sarcastic. [/sarcasm]

mattthemuppet
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by mattthemuppet » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:50 pm

nice review, though "You could toss on a gaming graphics card and turn it " seems to be an orphan phrase in the Final Thoughts section.

TBH, as soon as I saw the BIOS page I pretty much gave up any interest. Throw in lack of Speedfan support and I'm just not interested. However, it would make a good reliable box for a friend or family member - where it doesn't have to be flashy, it just has to work. Interesting to see the microATX reviews on here - given how full featured many of them are and how many features on full ATX boards are superfluous, they really fit well into the SPCR ethos.

nightmorph

Post by nightmorph » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:07 pm

--
Last edited by nightmorph on Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stf_44

Post by stf_44 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:06 am

Hi !

It's really strange that your motherboard didn't report the 3 pins rpm. I'm a computer builder, use only Intel Motherboard, and always have the rpm for the fans connected to these 3 pins connectors.

Pecorino

Post by Pecorino » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:09 pm

@nightmorph

What you talking about?
This motherboard is simple, stable, Intel mobo.
I run 24 h/daily/365 HP-Compaq computer totally silent, with guess what mobo? Lite-On. With Lite-On PSU->>far better than any Seasonics and Corsairs. This PSU is only 250 W, totally silent, and HP-Compaq BIOS is totally closed. I never change anything in my BIOS for years.

I'm searching for for that type of motherboard. I'm tired from too many experiments-they are useless.
The "OC subject" is rubbish for the people which have tooo many time to play.

I'm simply searching for for the stable mobo.

jcuesico

Post by jcuesico » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:40 pm

I'm using the board on my HTPC/File Server. It runs 24/7 and it's rock stable. Yeah it doesn't have fancy stuff on it, but I decided on this board for it's stability.

And so far, I've been very happy with it.