Arctic Cooling Accelero S2 VGA Cooler

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Arctic Cooling Accelero S2 VGA Cooler

Post by MikeC » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:10 pm

Techno Pride

Post by Techno Pride » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:56 am

hi, are you sure it isnt a manufacturing defect? With regards to the bending of the heatsink. This sounds highly unusual.
This could be Arctic Cooling's way of sneaking in an extra bit of heat dissipation area.

MoJo

Post by MoJo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:44 am

Another excellent review, thanks!

I hope Arctic Cooling make an 8800 version. The Acclero seems to be by far the best GPU heatsink available, considering it's performance and price. It is also far more compact than the HR-03 and more effective than Zalman products. As a bonus, you can optionally use your own fans quite easily, although your review states that the turbo module fans are inaudible. That in itself is impressive - most "silent" products are anything but. I'm looking at you, Zalman.

One interesting thing I did notice was that you managed to reproduce some of the CPU heating results I had with the HR-03. With the stock cooler, your CPU temps went up 3C when ATITool was activated, and 1C with the Accelero when fan speed was increased.

3C might not seem like a lot, but keep in mind that the review machine only had a single core CPU. Running ATITool uses some CPU power, and so tends to reduce heat output on the CPU by a up to 6C in my experience. Thus, on a multi-core system which would be less affected by running ATITool, the difference could be more than 3C.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:50 am

Nice review, thanks SPCR! On page 7 there are two issues:
1) The noise levels with the Turbo module are lower than passive, why is that (doesn't make sense to me)?
2) Quoting: 'The sleeve bearings may not last as long in the vertical orientation the fans will be run in'
Dont' you mean 'in the horizontal orientation'?

For mid-power cards like the 8600GT, in a NSK 2480 case, a smaller passive cooler, that would fit vertically, would do great IMO.
By blocking the top vent and opening a PCI slot, enough airflow would boost the performance of such a cooler.
BTW, why didn't SPCR test that, to see the effects of the open PCI slot compared with the Turbo module?

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:55 am

I think that if AC take their design of the S1, cut it in half so it fits for HTPC use they would also have the dominant place in VGA cooling there.

It's a simple design, but as we've seen from both reviews, it works great.

mindwalker

Post by mindwalker » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:51 am

With the turbo module attached, does the VGA card with the Accelero S2 installed take up 3 slots in total? Thanks.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:59 am

Techno Pride wrote:hi, are you sure it isnt a manufacturing defect? With regards to the bending of the heatsink. This sounds highly unusual.
This could be Arctic Cooling's way of sneaking in an extra bit of heat dissipation area.
Mike,

I forgot to mention that to you. Looks warped to me, possibly from when it was being soldered together.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:42 am

MoJo wrote:3C might not seem like a lot, but keep in mind that the review machine only had a single core CPU.
It's a dual-core Pentium D930 with a TDP of 95W, which is higher than most current CPUs.

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:14 am

Tzupy wrote:The noise levels with the Turbo module are lower than passive, why is that (doesn't make sense to me)?
The passive results are with the system fan at 7V, 9V and 12V. The results with the Turbo Module are with the system fan at 7V throughout, and the TM fan at 7V, 9V, and 12V.

In otherwords:
System fan at 7V + TM at 9V = quieter than system fan alone at 9V.
System fan at 7V + TM at 12V = quieter than system fan alone at 12V.

Eagle156

Post by Eagle156 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:08 am

Lack of G80 support makes me a sad panda. :(

WR304

Post by WR304 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:13 am

Eagle156 wrote:Lack of G80 support makes me a sad panda. :(
Arctic Cooling announced the Accelero Xtreme recently. There are versions of that for the G80 8800 card,s and also the ATI HD2900XT:

Reviews:
http://legionhardware.com/document.php?id=713

http://www.guru3d.com/article/cooling/487/1

One of those with some different fans attached should be quite good. :)
Last edited by WR304 on Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:38 am

Nice and very professional review - again 8)

I also think SPCR have made a great development of VGA cooler reviews.

A while back, I think the VF-900 was over-estimated by SPCR regarding how quiet it would be. Maybe the sound-samples could have warned me, but I have some troubles playing them.

Anyway, there wasnt many VGA cooler reviews, and the ones there were, was often with active ones.

With the above in mind, I find SPCR have done a strong comeback with passive coolers, and especially making comparable test of third party coolers, and standard passive VGA coolers from 2-3 manufacturers.

Well done !

Best regards,
Thomas

MoJo

Post by MoJo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:43 pm

WR304 wrote:Arctic Cooling announced the Accelero Xtreme recently. There are versions of that for the G80 8800 card,s and also the ATI HD2900XT:
Wow, from the reviews it looks excellent! I can't wait for some 8800 based reviews to come in. The nVidia stock cooler is actually quite good, at least in terms of noise. I imagine the Accelero will bring similar noise levels at much better temperatures. So cheap as well...

Actually, it is almost exactly what I suggested would be an ideal cooler for the 8800s. I don't imagine for a second Arctic Cooling read my humble post but it's nice to know I wasn't too far off the mark :) The only thing I would change is the orientation of the fins - having them lengthwise so air flows out the back of the case. I imagine AC put them that way so air didn't have far to travel over the fins, giving it less time to warm up. Maybe that's one of the reasons it out-performs the stock cooler so much.

Baloubic

Post by Baloubic » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:59 am

The width is the same as the S1, however, and that means it's incompatible with slimmer cases. (Of course, for a creative hardware modder, it's no big challenge to reduce the size of the S2 with minimal effect on cooling.)
I guess I'm not that creative. But has anyone successfully cut heatpipes while successfully preserving both pressures and coolants? Or is he suggesting bending the S2, making a heatsink loop?

What'as the solution? :)

tufish

question on accelero

Post by tufish » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:32 am

is S2 workin' on leadtek 7600 gt AGP.? i ask because i saw on their site that it supoused to have 3 bolts but, the card has only 2 houls that i measured and came close with the describtion (scuze my bad english).

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:15 pm

Baloubic wrote:
The width is the same as the S1, however, and that means it's incompatible with slimmer cases. (Of course, for a creative hardware modder, it's no big challenge to reduce the size of the S2 with minimal effect on cooling.)
I guess I'm not that creative. But has anyone successfully cut heatpipes while successfully preserving both pressures and coolants? Or is he suggesting bending the S2, making a heatsink loop?

What's the solution? :)
No, no, don't cut the heat pipes!

A determined and fairly skilled modder can reduce the profile by cutting away some fins and (carefully!) bending the heat pipes.

mattthemuppet
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: question on accelero

Post by mattthemuppet » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:58 pm

tufish wrote:is S2 workin' on leadtek 7600 gt AGP.? i ask because i saw on their site that it supoused to have 3 bolts but, the card has only 2 houls that i measured and came close with the describtion (scuze my bad english).
most aftermarket coolers aren't compatible with AGP cards because they have a second chip (the HIS PCIe>AGP bridge I think) that needs cooling and aftermarket coolers don't cool it. You can buy HIS heatsinks though (Zalman do one) though you still need to be careful if the GPU is oriented at an angle, as it is on some AGP cards. Anyway, as long as the holes are in the right place and you take care of cooling the HIS chip, you'll be fine :)

Laz Winterz

Post by Laz Winterz » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:14 pm

spaceghost

Post by spaceghost » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:37 am

Does anyone know which of these Arctic Cooling S1, S1 R.2, or S2 will fit an Invidia Quadro FX 3500. I think that it has a G71 processor and have even less information that it is similar to a 7800 pcb. I cannot seem to confirm either of those and Arctic Cooling keeps telling me to check their FAQ when I send them a tech support question.

Also I have a P182 case. Instead of attaching the fan to the heatsink, would it work to attach the fan to the upper drive cage and blow air across the heatsink?

I am really looking forward to replacing the stock fan on the Quadro FX 3500. It really whines a lot with a distinctive high pitch sound.

Thanks.

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:58 am

spaceghost wrote:Also I have a P182 case. Instead of attaching the fan to the heatsink, would it work to attach the fan to the upper drive cage and blow air across the heatsink?
I don't know if it'll fit on the card, but if you just have any fan blowing air across the heatsink it'll work perfectly. Doesm't need to be on the heatsink at all.

MoJo

Post by MoJo » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:50 am

seraphyn wrote:I don't know if it'll fit on the card, but if you just have any fan blowing air across the heatsink it'll work perfectly. Doesm't need to be on the heatsink at all.
The problem is that the fins run from side to side, not length ways. If they were length ways, air could flow from the fan down them. Being side ways, it will hit the first one and be deflected.

spaceghost

Post by spaceghost » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:23 am

the installation diagrams look as if it the fins run the long direction of the graphics card.

but i still can not figure out which version to buy or if i will be able to mount it to my graphics card. they do not list the quadro cards on their website. again if anyone knows if and which model will fit a nvidia quadro fx 3500 (which i think has a g71 processor and is similar to a 7800 board but have no real confirmation of that) please let me know.

thanks for your responses.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:06 am

spaceghost --

You need to look at the PCB side of your board and measure the distance between the heatsink mounting holes. Then compare that to the mounting holes on the S1 or S2. Or just go ahead and buy an S1 Rev. B, since it fits just about every current consumer card. It's $25 -- chump change, really.

Eagle156

Post by Eagle156 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:30 am

MikeC wrote: Or just go ahead and buy an S1 Rev. B, since it fits just about every current consumer card. It's $25 -- chump change, really.
Except the G80. :(

Tiny Turtle

Post by Tiny Turtle » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:47 pm

MikeC,
I've been thinking about something since I first saw the S1/S2/TM. Since the fins protrude outside the horizontal area of the vid card - wouldn't it be a good idea to have the fan blowing upwards through the fins and vid card and thereby move the hot air directly towards the case fan which expels hot air from the case. Air being moved downwards will have to make an unneccessary u-turn and circulate inside the case before getting out, right?

Perhaps strapping a slow 120 mm fan (or reversing the Turbo Module fans?) upside down beneath the S1 could be an interesting experiment on SPCR?

P.S.
Eagle156,
G80 owners should check out the Accelero Extreme mentioned previously in this thread.

WR304

Post by WR304 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:18 pm

spaceghost wrote:the installation diagrams look as if it the fins run the long direction of the graphics card.

but i still can not figure out which version to buy or if i will be able to mount it to my graphics card. they do not list the quadro cards on their website. again if anyone knows if and which model will fit a nvidia quadro fx 3500 (which i think has a g71 processor and is similar to a 7800 board but have no real confirmation of that) please let me know.

thanks for your responses.
The Nvidia Quadro FX3500 looks very similar to the other Geforce 7 cards. If the distance between the mounting holes is 53mm then you'll be able to fit most aftermarket coolers to your card. :)

Mounting hole spacing needed to fit Accelero S1 rev 1 is 53mm measured centre to centre

It's worth mentioning that you can easily fit a Thermalright HR-11 cooler at the same time as an Accelero S1. The screws that come with the HR-11 use the same thread as the Accelero S1 fittings.:)

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/ ... VzaWFzdA==

VERiON

Re: Arctic Cooling Accelero S2 VGA Cooler

Post by VERiON » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:45 pm

I was wondering if I can put S2 on GT240 - because I've bought S2 second hand for $10.

So I've cross-referenced mount holes distance list I've found on internet with cards that was listed as compatible.

Looks like GT240 mount holes distance is 43x43mm - just like GF 6600.
I'm attaching the PDF with the whole list.
I've market yellow some of S2 compatible cards with different holes distance.

UPDATE: the list below is incorrect - I've just measured - S2 mounting holes pitch is: 38mm, 43mm, and 48mm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by VERiON on Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

edh

Post by edh » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:53 pm

Try it? These heatsinks have so many hole patterns that it probably will fit one some set of holes.

VERiON

Post by VERiON » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:03 pm

I wil try it for sure - but the GT240 was in my office and I was wondering if S2 would fit without the card in my hand and with just a S2 photo in online auction :D
So I've thought that list may come in handy if someone is wondering the same thing.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:28 pm

I think the used S2 may have more value than a GT 240...that's an 8 year old gfx card..any integrated gfx on a CPU from the last few years will run rings around it.