Seven - and now Eight Years of SPCR!

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Seven - and now Eight Years of SPCR!

Post by MikeC » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:08 pm

mcoleg

Post by mcoleg » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:40 pm

Congrats on the 7 year anniversary of SPCR, Mike :P

mattthemuppet
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by mattthemuppet » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:58 pm

there may be a time when SPCR doesn't exist *sob* don't say that Mike! :cry:

congratulations anyway, I can't believe how things have come on (in the world and myself) since I became a member :)

Ender17

Post by Ender17 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:02 pm

I don't see tower PCs going anywhere for a long time. Look at gaming - there isn't anything portable close to the performance you can get with a triple card setup.

Long live tower PCs!

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:26 pm

7 years, wow!

I sure hope we'll see quiet small systems in the future. Today, a small system usually means really small and loud fans. I even had to modify a small hard drive enclosure I recently purchased due to excessive noise from it's 40mm fan and lack of intake vents. Sadly, I think we'll continue to see poorly designed noisy products even with the help of low power hardware.

colin2

Post by colin2 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:27 pm

I can't think of any PC-building site that has a higher signal/noise ratio than this one. Not even close. You've also built a good community on the forums. Part of it is that you've resisted pressure to get something new up every day. I really appreciate your geekish devotion to getting stuff right.

Re the PC, as long as Microsoft keeps making horrible operating systems and other software bloats with it, there's going to be problems with heat and thus noise. Even with zero gaming, my next build needs a speedier processor.

Another area of possible expansion is PC audio, given your audio background. The "Computer Audio Asylum" is pretty high-value if you make allowances for the usual audiophile insanity. and has at some interests that parallel this site.

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:55 pm

7 years, wow. Is it that long allready? I remember buying a Duron 900 and being appalled by the noice the boxed fan made. That was the beginning of my journey of rather specialized (and sometimes shady) hardware.

The reviews are better than ever, nothing short of amazing. Going back to the beginnings through the archives shoves reviews that by todays standards seems almost pioneering, although at the time they were rather sophisticated and were the first to look at power consumtion and test the efficiency of power supplies etc.

It is just to bad that when the site is at its best, the need of the site is diminishing. I guess that is a measure of success, though, and accomplishing that in only 7 years is no small feat.

As for those who believe that ATX Towers will always prevail... I heard of a 20 year old April fools joke this morning. The joke was that there had been a breakthrough with cell phones. In a few years time it would be possible to listen to music (almost cd-quality), to take photos and even make video phone calls using the color screen! Everybody spotted it straight away and thought it hilarious. 20 years ago :)

We are not there yet, though:) In the meantime we will all be a part of the most informative seven year old I've met in ages :)

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:03 am

7 years... pretty cool Mike !!!! Congrats !!!!

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:13 am

Happy Birthday!

Modo

Post by Modo » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:34 am

Great job, Mike, keep it up. :)

I'm sure you still have many years before completely silent systems are anywhere near mainstream. ;)

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:23 am

Time flies like and arrow, and fruit flies like a banana!

It has been a good 7 years, for sure.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:14 am

Here's to another great seven!

Cheers!

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:23 am

Congratulations!

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:50 am

MikeC in The Article wrote:When mainstream computers no longer have fans, spinning storage drives, or other mechanical moving devices, then SPCR's original mission will be accomplished.
I would like you to reconsider this. Even with no obviously moving parts, there are still many sources of noise. What I would really like you to cover, instead of portable mp3 players, include the following:

- Coil whine. It is starting to be a much more important part of the noise generated by computing equipment than the moving parts themselves. And it can be really freaking loud. Especially modding articles about identifying sources of coil whine to component level and then eliminating the problem by modding techniques, with before and after measures of noise level. This done on motherboards, GPU cards, monitors, etc.

- Power efficiency. Even silent computers consume power. You already do this, but I think it will stay relevant in the future too.

- Visual noise. Things that annoy the eye instead of just the ear. This includes abundant pointless led lights in devices, which even blink at the worst case! (My mouse had a blinking led by default, luckily it could be disabled for good). This also includes backlight bleed in monitors, which could be considered visual noise of otherwise black image. And for example cable gami in an office setting, instead of just inside the pc chassis.

- Noise from other devices than just computers, that affect your computing experience. My air conditioning totally dominates my pc in noise making. After all, the word SILENCE comes before PC in the name.

To me this silence stuff is really about removing distraction sources to reach a state of flow when I can really concentrate on things.
My 2c.

trandy1001

Post by trandy1001 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:58 am

I'd like to extend my gratitude for all the wonderful content that can be found on this website and within its community of devoted PC silencers. Congratulations on seven years of great works and here's to hoping for another seven years (at least) of wonderful new content and keeping noise makers honest!

Thanks Mike!

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:29 am

Congrats and thanks for these seven years!

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:04 am

Thanks for all the noise you’ve produced over the last 7 years; it’s helped to keep my PCs quieter. :o

I may well go out and buy a pack of beer and drink 7 of them watching the game tonight; I'll try and be quiet doing so. :)

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:08 am

:D yay!

larsolsen
Patron of SPCR

Post by larsolsen » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:22 am

Thanks for all your work with this site, it has been 7 great years and i hope this great site will continue to have a great impact in the future. It certaintly had a impact for me when i found it a few years ago. Here was other people who shared my aversion to noise from computers, and tried to do something about it. So here's a big thank you for making my life less noisy.

lm wrote:
MikeC in The Article wrote:When mainstream computers no longer have fans, spinning storage drives, or other mechanical moving devices, then SPCR's original mission will be accomplished.
I would like you to reconsider this. Even with no obviously moving parts, there are still many sources of noise. What I would really like you to cover, instead of portable mp3 players, include the following:

- Coil whine. It is starting to be a much more important part of the noise generated by computing equipment than the moving parts themselves. And it can be really freaking loud. Especially modding articles about identifying sources of coil whine to component level and then eliminating the problem by modding techniques, with before and after measures of noise level. This done on motherboards, GPU cards, monitors, etc.

- Power efficiency. Even silent computers consume power. You already do this, but I think it will stay relevant in the future too.

- Visual noise. Things that annoy the eye instead of just the ear. This includes abundant pointless led lights in devices, which even blink at the worst case! (My mouse had a blinking led by default, luckily it could be disabled for good). This also includes backlight bleed in monitors, which could be considered visual noise of otherwise black image. And for example cable gami in an office setting, instead of just inside the pc chassis.

- Noise from other devices than just computers, that affect your computing experience. My air conditioning totally dominates my pc in noise making. After all, the word SILENCE comes before PC in the name.

To me this silence stuff is really about removing distraction sources to reach a state of flow when I can really concentrate on things.
My 2c.
I agree with the above, and i would read such articles with great interest. I did also enjoy the short article on the samsung music player, as i'm currently in the market for a player. So keep up the good work:)

tha_lode

Post by tha_lode » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:28 am

Congratulations and thanks!
I've learned so much here.

ps: oh, and please don't do more mp3 players. So many other sites review those things.

JL5
Patron of SPCR

Post by JL5 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:09 am

Congratulations and Thank You SPCR!

pir

Happy Birthday

Post by pir » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:09 am

Congrats on 7 great years, and mission almost accomplished...

Though while quiet computers are becoming mainstream, it will be a very long time indeed before computers approach anything like the theoretical maximum power efficiency, as per the Von Neumann-Landauer limit. If SPCR can inspire increased power efficiency over the next seven years the way it helped inspire a reduction in PC noise, I can imagine sitting at a machine with a comparable amount of computational power to the (two year old) one I'm using now, and instead of drawing ~70 watts at the wall, that machine in 2016 might draw ~7 watts, and be literally silent, with no moving parts, buzz, woosh, or hum. Beyond that, we'll probably need "Reversible Computing", or some yet-undeveloped tech to continue gains in power efficiency.

So here's to seven years of increased power efficiency, leading to utterly silent computing!

-Pir

P.S. Yesterday was my birthday too.

KillerCroc
-- Vendor --

7 years

Post by KillerCroc » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:09 am

Wow, Happy Anniversary Mike! I think it's fair to say that, over these seven years you have forged the path towards environmentally-cleaner, quieter computing, and we have all benefited from your labors - and those of who have supported you along the way as well (this means YOU, fellow forum members and friends).
I for one regret that I was older when computers became a household item and not a curiosity; but at 53 I still look forward to the future - it most certainly will be a much different playing field than the one we use now!
Keep up the good work, and peace be upon you and yours!
Ted
(aka KillerCroc)

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:19 am

Happy 7th anniversary silent Mike! Thanks for all your hard work on keeping the website going, and for all the reviews and advice you've dispensed over the years. SPCR is a highly valuable resource.

Now let's party and make some noise! :wink:

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:24 am

There's always something to silence. Even when computer's don't have moving parts, SPCR members will learn how to use hot glue / electrical lacquerice to eliminate buzzing sound and so forth.

There will always be noise when there are computers, because we exist, whom no computer is too silent...

Anyways: congratulations Mike from 7 years ^^ I hope SPCR will throw nice big party when we hit 10th year ^^

strongbad

Post by strongbad » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:27 am

Congratulations. I've been reading for about 3 years and the site and info get better and better.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:41 am

Cheers Mike, reviewers and community mods alike. Been reading since '03 and in that time both me and and my family and friends have benefitted enormously from your hard work. Thank you!

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Post by shleepy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:24 am

Congrats, Mike!

psiu

Post by psiu » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:51 am

Congrats!

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:04 am

This has been and remains one of my favorite web sites to visit. Your effort and insight are commendable and I don't know how many crappy products I would have bought without you and the people you brought together here.

For every time I say something that even remotely seems negative towards an SPCR review or reviewer know that I've probably thought a thousand positive things about the same reviews and reviewers. It is with the utmost respect and desire for learning that I hound you (and myself) to improve. I'm assuming most of the regulars around here feel the same.

In short, Thanks and congratulations.