Cooler Master Real Power RS-450-ACLY Power Supply

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Cooler Master Real Power RS-450-ACLY Power Supply

Post by MikeC » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:08 pm

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:32 am

With real-world loads (65W - 200W), that's the most efficient PSU SPCR have tested! It's crying out for a fan swap - perhaps you could try running it without :wink:

Thanks to Mike and Ed.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:34 am

But why bother for the sake of 1-2%? The fan controller, especially, is not something you can do anything about except bypass. There's the hassles and then the loss of warranty... If the thing was $30 cheaper than a Seasonic, Nexus, or Enermax Noisetaker of the same power, OK, but as it is priced very similarly, there really is no point.

But gamers / OC'er without as much hearing sensitivity might like it fine. Power & bling...

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:45 am

Could you clarify a sentence you used?
In the article, you wrote:The test environment is live, so readings are higher than would be obtained in an anechoic chamber readings.
Does this mean that there are sound reflections off of things like hard walls and floors that would make things seem louder than they actually are?

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:50 am

I might use this PSU in a custom wooden cube case I am still planning to build. It doesn't have the short cable problem of the the Nexus NX-4090. It doesn't have the stif cable problem of the Enermax Noisetakers. It is availlable in my country (Seasonics are not).

In a cube case the PSU only has to cool itself and the HDs, so the intake air will never be far above ambient. This avoids the fan ramping problem.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:14 am

sthayashi wrote:Could you clarify a sentence you used?
In the article, you wrote:The test environment is live, so readings are higher than would be obtained in an anechoic chamber readings.
Does this mean that there are sound reflections off of things like hard walls and floors that would make things seem louder than they actually are?
Yes. If the SPL readings were done in an anechoic chamber, they would all tend to be a bit lower. It should not be a huge difference -- maybe 2 dBA typically -- because the lab environment is pretty quiet & reasonably well damped.

Tibors --

You are right in that if you can keep the intake temp into the PSU low enough the fan ramp-up will not be a problem. In my test rig, the critical intake temp point seemed to be 29C, which is pretty low, IMO. Still, this will vary on conditions. The PSU test load in the lab is purely resistive while typical PC loads are not; they have resistance as well as inductance and capacitance, and so are more difficult to drive. On the other hand, most PCs don't routinely draw 150W DC continuously.

But your setup should work quietly. And if you want to get the noise down further, a fan swap w/ a Nexus 120 will make it very quiet indeed. (They usually start with 5.5V...)
Last edited by MikeC on Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:01 pm

WOOT!!! Two PSU reviews in a day. Thanks SPCR crew!!!!

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:26 am

Tibors wrote:I might use this PSU in a custom wooden cube case I am still planning to build. It doesn't have the short cable problem of the the Nexus NX-4090. It doesn't have the stif cable problem of the Enermax Noisetakers. It is availlable in my country (Seasonics are not).
Here's a link to a retailer in Belgium that has Seasonics:

Material.be

No affiliation, etc. and I've not used them before either. I am considering ordering a Seasonic though.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:40 am

Cams wrote:Here's a link to a retailer in Belgium that has Seasonics:
Material.be
My knowledge of the french language is horrible, so I might be mistaken. But to me Materiel.be looks like a review and price comparison site. All the links in the list you linked above go either to a shop in Paris (France) or Rennes (France).

I prefer to deal with people I can communicate with. ;) So that leaves only people who can speak Dutch, English and/or German. Since you're from Luxemburg, your French is probably a lot better than mine.

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:54 am

Ah, how right you are Tibors. Sorry about that - I hadn't followed it through.

Kilgore

Post by Kilgore » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:22 pm

If anyone is interested in this psu it is $25 after rebate
http://www.svc.com/rs-450-acly-19.html

anakintjc

Post by anakintjc » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:03 am

an old kick...

Does anyone know if all coolermaster psu's have a three pin fan-header?

I would like to replace the fan of a CoolerMaster Extreme Power 650 with a scythe slipstream 1600 rpm, anyone knows if it would fit?