Sparkle Power's 250W 80 Plus SPI250EP

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Zap

Re: Mr Sparkle thanks you for your fine review

Post by Zap » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:14 pm

fri2219 wrote:Overstock.com has the unit for sale at US$40. It doesn't appear all that hard to find in the US, at least.
Buy.com has it for $40.25 with free shipping.

17A available for +12v means it can power just about any video card that doesn't require additional power.

It really should have SATA connectors on more than one cable, to make it easier to power SATA HDDs and optical drives in a typical tower configuration.

Too bad it isn't $25 like older 250W Sparkle/FSP units. At $40 it borders on Corsair deals ($55-60 after rebates, not counting GCO bonuses).

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:01 am

MikeC wrote:This may be depending on whether your systems goes to S1 or S3 standby. I will check this later when I have more time.
Mike the difference between S1 and S3 is night and day. S3 turns off everything not on the 5V standby circuit, except for RAM. S1 turns off your HDD and puts the CPU into it's lowest power state, which on desktop CPU is about the same as idle (with EIST or C&Q enabled). My system on S3 is 3W and on S1 is 60W.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:19 am

jessekopelman wrote:
MikeC wrote:This may be depending on whether your systems goes to S1 or S3 standby. I will check this later when I have more time.
Mike the difference between S1 and S3 is night and day. S3 turns off everything not on the 5V standby circuit, except for RAM. S1 turns off your HDD and puts the CPU into it's lowest power state, which on desktop CPU is about the same as idle (with EIST or C&Q enabled). My system on S3 is 3W and on S1 is 60W.
yes, of course. I've used only S3 on my systems for years, couldn't even remember what S1 did. :lol:

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:22 am

MikeC wrote:yes, of course. I've used only S3 on my systems for years, couldn't even remember what S1 did. :lol:
Did you mean S4 (Hibernate)?

guerby

Post by guerby » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:40 pm

MikeC wrote: There IS indeed a database of AC/DC converters.... at Energy Star. The link on the right column of that page to... For Consumers : Product Lists : AC-DC Adapters PDF will pull up (or let you download) a 66-page list of adapters with measured efficiency. It's difficult to search, however; you might do better with the full adapter list in XLS format, which makes it easier to order the way you want.
Mean Well seems to have very nice model up to 92% rated efficiency:

http://www.meanwell.com/search/gs60/catalog.pdf

I noticed the higher the output voltage, the higher the efficiency.

Is the Mean Well brand known? I've never heard of them and they seem to take many spots in the top efficiency area.

FSP (this one is known :) ) has a 120W 48V power adapter rated at 88% efficiency

colm

Post by colm » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:36 pm

That is a nice psu.
As I am killing the hoaxes now with my 12000 hour custom build with a 220w max sl300s (no pfc :roll: but happily apc ups :o ) in an antec powering:

2.8e p4
Ati hd 2600 pro
2 wd800jb HDD
netgear lan
onboard sound on my 12x9.6 msi mobo with 2 sticks of kingston, dvd rw and cd rom..and I let it power a floppy via usb, my webcam, and my digital camera, and can do all at once...

this sparkle seems very nice with the modern atx 2.2 active pfc, two 12v rails (something I have always wanted)... and a bigger power rating than my cool running antec sl300s..and that fan has a .1 less consumption than my current one for the same speed. So, I'll call theis sparkle a 300 watt and my aging 300 watt a 250, and forget the past if....

where to get one of these?