Xigmatek HDT-S1283 & SD964 "heatpipe direct-touch&q

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Fallsroad

Post by Fallsroad » Sun May 25, 2008 7:34 pm

Unless the voltage fluctuation is above a few percentage points, it really is nothing to worry about.

As for temperature sensitivity, as you describe it, I see that also. The core temps are very mobile, even under small loads - I think it is pretty normal. If opening a program or two has the temp jumping a bit, but it recovers right away, this is also nothing to be concerned about.

Remember, your over clock listed in an earlier post is on the order of 50% - that is very high, so it is not surprising that there is movement on the temps. The primary concern should be where the temps top out under load - that is where a higher performance cooler usually shines, and honestly, where it matters most for system stability and long term component life.

I did finally pull my Xigmatech, and the spread was pretty even, though a bit thick. I redid it, using a little less and more along the methods discussed above. Temps did not change at all in my case, but they have been quite good already.

The base of the sink is a little rough, but no more than any others I've used, and less than some. I think careful TIM application is important for this sink mainly to avoid making a mess, which I did to some extent. I'm glad I reapplied it even if my temps are the same - at least I know it is done correctly. :)

Ash

Post by Ash » Mon May 26, 2008 1:56 am

yeh, maybe i am being over fussy, to be honest even though iv just bought this new sink, i think the xalman was performing better, idle temps were only a little higher like 3-4 degrees, and when performing the same tasks as mentioned before they wouldnt go over 36-37.

il play around with it and see what i can do. thanks for your input anyway, much appreciated.

another thing i noticed when i removed the old sink, the metal frame around the cpu, that is locked down by a lever. not sure what it is called, it had been slightly bent in the middle due to pressure from mounting the zalman.

as the base of the xigmatek is bigger, do you think that frame is preventing better contact. it is a 775 socket. iv also read about the orientation of the sink, i have mine so the fan is blowing air out through the exhaust, but others have it blowing either up to the psu or top fan if they have e.g p182, or toward the gpu. which way do you have it? again do you think it will make a diff? i will have a look for myself, next time i remove it, to see that the contact is like. the MB is an Asus p5b.

i had thought that maybe the thermalright bolt thru kit may be causing the problem with the voltages, as the metal back plate is on the MB now, rather than the plastic one from the zalman. but i left the bit of plastic on the plate aswell, and there are no components around the cpu socket on the p5b.

valnar

Post by valnar » Mon May 26, 2008 6:01 am

Does anyone know if the smaller Xigmatek can be used with a 120mm fan too? I'm trying to find an alternate to my (very) concave TR Ultima-90.

Robert

Fallsroad

Post by Fallsroad » Mon May 26, 2008 11:38 am

@Ash:

The load temps should be lower with the S1283. Are you referencing the same temp readings?

There are the core readings, which fluctuate a lot, then the CPU diode (which is under the heat spreader), which tends to be a little lower in value and moves more slowly as load changes.

My orientation is the same as yours - to the rear. I have not heard or read anything to suggest the horizontal orientation will significantly alter temps.

The back plate is likely not a problem - as you stated, some programs show very minor fluctuations in voltages, others show none at all. This is seriously not an issue unless those fluctuations take it out of spec - usually +/- %5 or so, which seems to not be happening.

The only issue possibly related to the back plate is how evenly the pressure is distributed across the face of the CPU heat spreader - with bolts, it may be possible to have an uneven amount of pressure.

Can't speak to whether the frame around the CPU (I have same socket) being bent is an issue with how your cooler rests on the CPU heat spreader - might take closer look if you pull the sink.

A last thing about temps - in the case of the class of CPU we are talking about here, absolute temperature values are not terribly significant - the distance to theoretical maximum is what matters most, and staying below that is the key. Your set up is doing that by a wide margin even under load. The only reason to return to the Zalman, IMO, is if it can be made to run more silently than the Xigmatech and still get the same performance.

For my own peace of mind, were I you, I'd investigate some of the issues mentioned above relating to proper placement and tightening of the bolt kit, the bent piece of the socket (to determine if it really matters), and the spread of the TIM. Beyond that, I'd seriously not worry - your OC is impressively high and stable, and running well within safe parameters, and doing so very quietly.

@valnar: I don't know that a 120mm fan can be affixed to th smaller Xigmatech, nor if it would give you an advantage if it could. I suppose twist ties could be used to rig it, but a portion of the airflow would go past the edges of the sink, and that may not aid in cooling at all. The smaller Xigmatech with its own fan might be better than what you have now.

Will the S1283 not fit in your case?

Ash

Post by Ash » Mon May 26, 2008 1:50 pm

@fallsroad

load temps with the xigmatek, usually up to 40/41 and then down to 32 again, under stress test they will go up to 47-49.

i think i will just leave it like this for a week and then make any changes.

iv had the comp on all day today and its been idling at 31/32 all day, shoots up to 37-40 on load then back down. sometimes fluctuates rapidly in between.

as for the even mounting, i managed to screw all the bolts down untill they stopped, then slowing turning more to see if i can fasten any tighter. i then tried to move the sink and it was 100% secure, it wont turn or tilt. i was aware of the uneven effect when i booted up, i was looking out to see uneven core temps but they are both the same so i think it is fine.

other than that, your comments have assured me there isnt anything to worry about, it is a 50% oc and it has been stable for the best part of a year so i should be happy with that.

with regards to the zalman, i put that in my brothers comp today. he was running on stock intel, and he only has a exhaust fan but the comp isnt heavily used. having said that, it does get very hot and i monitored the temps for the first time via the bois.

to my surprise the spu was running at over 60 degrees! and the system temp was around 40's
i know the zalman would significantly improve those readings, not just because its better than stock but because the comp isnt overclocked like mine.

anyway, idle temps at 25 degrees load doesnt raise over 29/30. havent done a stress test on it though. system temp is around 30. still only 1 exhaust fan. thermal paste was applied as a line on the cpu, with some rubbed lightly into the heatsink to fill any scratches.

as for noise, the slipstream on the xigmatek is inaudible whereas i can hear the zalman, so im happy with the 'silent' cooler.

when it comes to reading temps, i have mainly been focusing on the core temps, my bios only shows 1 reading for the cpu, which is also shown on everest separately from the core temps. that reading is usually 45-47 now, whereas it was 50+ before. should i be more focused on the core temps or the cpu as a whole?

Fallsroad

Post by Fallsroad » Mon May 26, 2008 8:09 pm

Ash wrote:when it comes to reading temps, i have mainly been focusing on the core temps, my bios only shows 1 reading for the cpu, which is also shown on everest separately from the core temps. that reading is usually 45-47 now, whereas it was 50+ before. should i be more focused on the core temps or the cpu as a whole?
Either is fine - core temps are more immediate, in that they rise and fall quicker. I am not certain which set, the core or the cpu diode is used by the CPU and BIOS to determine things like thermal shut down or throttling.

Ash

Post by Ash » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:03 am

just a quick update, iv installed my components into my p182 now, i havent sealed the top fan off.

i reinstalled the heatsink before moving it, and i was worried about nothing, the spread was exactly the size of the cpu although you could clearly see the print of the aluminum bars in the thermal paste, that was where the past was applied.

when re applying i tried a different method this time, still filling in the gaps, but i just applied a straight line across the cpu, nothing on the heatsink.

i reverted back to stock settings rather than the oc to test.

before, idle temps were at 28 on stock for core readings, and cpu was 47-49
temps with oc were fluctuating from 31-34 in the end.

after, idle now stable at 25 for cores, and cpu reading at 40.

i had tried blocking off the top vent by just placing a block over the top and there was no difference in temps, although they did tend to fluctuate a little more.

im happy now with the way things are, it should be alright now. il leave it to set for a few days and then go back to my oc and see what happens.

thanks to all those who helped.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:17 am

Hello,

I put a Xigmatek on an E8400 with the Thermalright bolt-through kit, and it was the easiest heatsink I have ever worked with. Once I figured out how to push the rubber fan barbs on from the side (before mounting the heatsink), the hardest part was over! :P

Ash

Post by Ash » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:57 am

yeh i know, the first time was disastrous but this time it was easy to just get the fan off and mount it again. im using the thermalright bolt thru kit aswell.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:49 pm

Hello,

Someone just posted a link to a Xigmatek bolt-through kit made specifically for their heatsinks:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835233019

It would save you having to pop off the plastic push-pins so you can use the Thermalright kit...

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:52 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello,

Someone just posted a link to a Xigmatek bolt-through kit made specifically for their heatsinks:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835233019

It would save you having to pop off the plastic push-pins so you can use the Thermalright kit...
I have one of those kits and a Thermalright one here (one for my S1283, one for my Ninja). I've not installed either of them yet, but from looking at them next to each other, I'd recommend the Thermalright one over the Xigmatek.

The TR has posts up through the mounting holes, which the Xigmatek lacks. They should make it much easier to install (no need to check alignment, just stick it on and put the board down on top of it), and should reduce the chance of stripping or snapping the bolts.

Other than that, they're pretty much identical.

aSASa

Post by aSASa » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:58 am

Sorry if I shouldn't be posting this here, but, I have a question about the cooler specifically.

I am pretty sure I am going to get the HDT-S1283, but I read some stuff about this not being good for 45nm chips. I have a Q9450 [ 45nm Quad ] and am wondering if this won't cool it as well as it could. I never had a comparison side by side from my last processor [ P4 3.2GHz w/ HT ] but I am pretty sure the chip itself is smaller, not just the die. ( I really didn't know if the whole chip or just the die shrunk, so it was pretty surprising to me ). I would figure then that this would leave less surface area for the heatpipes to take heat from, making the two outer ones less useful. Is this true?

I could, if I saved up for a bit longer, afford a TRUE. Would this work considerably better?

I can get a HDT-S1283 for $38 at newegg.

The following is not useful to read unless you think the TRUE would be a better choice! [ Don't want to waste your time ]

If I had to get the TRUE [Well, not HAVE to, but it would be useful] which of these sets would you recommend:

---------------------------------------------------------

Directron:
TRUE w/ a 4 pack of Cooler Master 120mm fans [ $13 ] totaling $78 shipped.

[ I have a Stacker 830, so these fans could go with 2 in the front, 1 on the top, and 1 on the cooler itself. ]

( I've read that the 832 can keep the side fan bracket on with coolers like this while the 830 CAN NOT, is this true? The only difference I see in the two is the front panel. )

----------
OR
----------

Jab-Tech:
TRUE w/ Slipstream 1900RPM* [ $8 ] totaling $73.50 shipped.

*I hear they undervolt very well, so no I am not a maniac. In case I ever need that extra cooling, I have it, heh.

--------------------------------------------------

I would think that option 2 would be a little better, but the other way I can cool my other overheating components better. Currently I have two of the same fans in the 4 pack, one on the front taking air in, one on the back taking air out. Those 3 others should help, right? I mean, the case is huge..

~Thanks for help + for reading the long, boring, not-useful-for-you message!

Fallsroad

Post by Fallsroad » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:09 pm

S1283 does fantastically well on 45nm cpus. I run it in an E8400 with outstanding results.

If your previous CPU was socket 775, then the overall CPU heat spreader should be the same size - what is inside is what has changed.

aSASa

Post by aSASa » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:50 pm

Thanks; I think I had a socket 775, as my old motherboard was a P5GDC Deluxe; but it really seems like its smaller. Maybe the heatspreader is smaller due to less heat being produced?

Not sure. But you can assure me that I wouldn't see considerably better results with the TRUE?

valnar

Post by valnar » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:39 pm

aSASa wrote:Thanks; I think I had a socket 775, as my old motherboard was a P5GDC Deluxe; but it really seems like its smaller. Maybe the heatspreader is smaller due to less heat being produced?

Not sure. But you can assure me that I wouldn't see considerably better results with the TRUE?
The True and Xigmatek 1283 perform about the same. But the Xigmatek is lighter as well as cheaper, which means it's better in my book, even if it were the same price.

What does the True do better than the Xigmatek? Well, it's a Thermalright, so it's definitely prettier as they tend to be.

aSASa

Post by aSASa » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:57 pm

Well, I know it cools somewhat better, so no lying there, I just wasn't sure if the 45nm could make it even more important.

Also Thermalright nickel plates its stuff for looks and so it wont corrode, and they also solder the heat pipes.. so, no lying it is better. Just not all too much, I guess.

cromelex

Post by cromelex » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:25 pm

aSASa wrote:Also Thermalright nickel plates its stuff for looks and so it wont corrode, and they also solder the heat pipes.. so, no lying it is better. Just not all too much, I guess.
The Xigmatek Red Scorpion is a nickel plated 1283, so it is a little better there than the regular 1283.

Are the soldered heatpipes really much better?

walle

Post by walle » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:17 pm

Does that really matter? I mean, both are excellent coolers, right, so why not pick the least expensive one and be happy with having made a great purchase? those of us already owning a TRUE need not get salty eyes, or defend our purchases trying to state that the TRUE is superior when its not, why do that? its stupid (no offence intended) and its not right towards fellow members (especially new ones) asking for help seeking guidance come a purchases either, right? I see no reason why the TRUE would be a more suitable purchase when the Xigmatek matches it and to a lower price, and this is by the way coming from someone who is a Thermalright connoisseur extraordinaire.

:D

aSASa

Post by aSASa » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:58 pm

@ Cromelex: The red one costs a lot more though :/. Not worth it.

@ Walle: What do you mean? I don't own either, [Yet], I am just saying that we all know its better a tad in cooling etc.

So last question before purchase: Anyone know why every xigmatek heatsink has a rebate EXCEPT the HDT-S1283? The HDT-D1264 is only $19 versus $37 not including shipping. [ The D1264 is the.. eh.. "bottom blowing" version of the S1283, but its worse ].

Also, I can get the Kingwin version a couple bucks cheaper [ since Newegg removed their free shipping on the Xigmatek. ] Is it as good? Newegg reviewers ( Yes, I know, useless for the most part ) give the Kingwin considerably lower scores and a ton less reviews. Any cons? Installing is worse?

Fallsroad

Post by Fallsroad » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:04 pm

aSASa wrote:
Also, I can get the Kingwin version a couple bucks cheaper [ since Newegg removed their free shipping on the Xigmatek. ] Is it as good? Newegg reviewers ( Yes, I know, useless for the most part ) give the Kingwin considerably lower scores and a ton less reviews. Any cons? Installing is worse?
I've read the Kingwin version is identical, just a rebadged version of the S1283, though I've never seen or used that version of it.

Installation for either should be the same - they both use the Intel push pin mount.

aSASa

Post by aSASa » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:36 pm

Fallsroad wrote:
aSASa wrote:
I've read the Kingwin version is identical, just a rebadged version of the S1283, though I've never seen or used that version of it.

Installation for either should be the same - they both use the Intel push pin mount.
Thanks.

How about rebates? Any to expect sometime soon? I heard they were selling with a $15 or $10 mail in rebate a few months ago, actuall

aSASa

Post by aSASa » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:37 pm

Fallsroad wrote:
aSASa wrote:

Thanks.

How about rebates? Any to expect sometime soon? I heard they were selling with a $15 or $10 mail in rebate a few months ago, actually a few days before I learned about it [ and researched for about two months or so ].

Fallsroad

Post by Fallsroad » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:44 pm

I haven't seen the S1283 sell with a rebate, myself. I bought mine at the end of April, and had been in the market for a second heat sink for my secondary machine. I went with an Asus Triton 75 cause the rebate brought it well under $20 shipped.

I'd say just jump on it - it is worth every cent, in my opinion.

Stravos

Post by Stravos » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:51 pm

mwave has the S1283 for the same price as newegg, but with a $5 instant rebate. Not familiar with their shipping prices, though.

aSASa

Post by aSASa » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:00 pm

Yeah, I totaled it up on a couple sites. Newegg was the cheapest.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Now I'm sure this doesn't belong here, but it is sort of related.

I have a Stacker 830 and I have read that it can not use the side fan panel with any large cooler in it [ Ultra 120, HDT-S1283, and various others were specifically mentioned ] while the 832 CAN. Is this true?

cromelex

Post by cromelex » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:19 am

aSASa wrote:@ Cromelex: The red one costs a lot more though :/. Not worth it.
Actually, here in Portugal they're being sold at the same price, ie, the Red Scorpion being sold at he price of the least expensive one, not the cheap one being overpriced.

Taking this into account the Red Scorpion would be a better choice, wouldn't it? Won't be using the default fan in either.

aSASa

Post by aSASa » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:21 am

cromelex wrote:
aSASa wrote:@ Cromelex: The red one costs a lot more though :/. Not worth it.
Actually, here in Portugal they're being sold at the same price, ie, the Red Scorpion being sold at he price of the least expensive one, not the cheap one being overpriced.

Taking this into account the Red Scorpion would be a better choice, wouldn't it? Won't be using the default fan in either.
I'd imagine so. I would take it if I were you.

Ash

Post by Ash » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:56 pm

guys

just wanted to ask those of you who have the s1283 cooler if you think the base is flat and even? and if you think lapping it would be good with this type of design.

im currently working with good temps, 25-27 idle and up to 37 on load.
but when i look at the base particularly due to the gap between the pipes and the aluminum, i wander if it is actually a level surface?

Luminair

Post by Luminair » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:57 pm

37 degrees loaded and you're wondering if your heat sink is flat. Is your nose straight?

Ash

Post by Ash » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:21 am

as i said i am working with good temps.

i just wanted to know if other people have lapped it and if it is good with this type of design with direct contact with heatpipes.

yeh my nose is perfectly straight.