Gigabyte G-Power 2 Pro CPU cooler

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Gigabyte G-Power 2 Pro CPU cooler

Post by MikeC » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:54 pm

Ashex

Post by Ashex » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:52 am

Looks like marketing got in the way of a smart design.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:00 am

Looks to me like the thing needs a rubber-mounted standard fan, with rubber flaps to keep the airflow directed through the fins.

Advantages? Dubious....and far out-weighed by the awkward installation, with a real possibility this cooler won't fit any case you have. Then there's the noise factor and all the lying.....started by TT and SilenX, and apparently being copied by everybody else, except maybe Yate Loon and a few others.

Frankly....I've built fan shrouds/ducts mounted on heatsinks that do not rattle or vibrate or resonate. And I don't have a big manufacturing/testing facility to do so. What's the big problem here?

Looks pretty though...

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:47 am

Page two, fifth picture wrote:Note the even spacing of the four heatpipes and the odd "claw" at the bottom of each corner.
Should this be five?

Cheers,

Jan

djkest

Post by djkest » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:32 am

When I saw that big pretty "chrome" heat shroud, I knew it was trouble. The concept they used was pretty solid, but the execution was flawed. How the heck are you actually supposed to install that thing, without some sort of yoga manuever?

Maybe they should have spent more time engineering and less time styling. But then again how many people purchase something just cause it looks cool?

Unfortunately it looks like cooling solutions from gigabyte are going to be disappointing.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:00 pm

Is it time to retest the Ninja with a more modern fan such as a Slipstream 500RPM? The cooling/noise ratio should show significant improvement. It might even make it tempting to break your rule of measuring noise at 1 meter only, since the Slipstream noise would likely be below your 1 meter measuring capability. :D

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:04 pm

Maybe they should have spent more time engineering and less time styling. But then again how many people purchase something just cause it looks cool?
I dunno - better ask the people that go for windowed cases, LED fans, neon and cold flourescent case lighting, "gamer" cases, glowing keyboards, etc :D

psiu

Post by psiu » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:52 pm

Nice review...kind of funny typo on page 5:
Note that the maximum noise in Gagbyte's specs is given as 23 dBA.
Bolding mine.

:D

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:06 pm

psiu wrote:Nice review...kind of funny typo on page 5:
oops.

Jokoto

Post by Jokoto » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:38 pm

Another one on page 5:
from Gigagabyte G-Power 2 Pro
Emphasis added.

Nice to see new thinking on the shapes of heatsinks. Though in this case the execution faltered, perhaps due to non-engineer types being involved in the design of a component where form should follow function...

Airshark

Post by Airshark » Tue May 06, 2008 4:29 pm

Question here - I note that you got a pretty good cooler out of this by removing the shroud and replacing the fan. Well, this cooler appeals to me because of its unique orientation - see, my problem is that my TRUE prevents me from using an HR-03 Plus on my 8800 in the "over" configuration, and that in turn costs me two expansion slots, so I cannot install my sound card.

If you remove the fan shroud and replace the fan, is it possible to rotate this cooler (socket 775) so that it blows air towards the top of the case? The case is a P182 - I can open up the top vent for it. If this cooler can in fact be rotated, the 45-degree slant of the cooler may give me enough room to install my VGA cooler in the less-restrictive manner.

Darn Arctic Cooling - the S1 doesn't support the 8800GTX, or I could solve this problem right there.