Attack of the Scythes

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:44 am

If you were going to slow it down below 1300rpm, why not buy the 1200rpm version?

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:56 am

jhhoffma wrote:If you were going to slow it down below 1300rpm, why not buy the 1200rpm version?
Because the 1200RPM model doesn't go up to 1600RPM, not to mention 1900, and because the review urged the reader to stay away from the 1600RPM model, so I went with the apparently very versatile 1900RPM model. My rig is set up to run <1000RPM on idle - as you can see from my previous post - then crank up to the necessary RPM when gaming or doing other heavy tasks.

Needed more oomph on the intake side for gaming. Trying out positive pressure was in the plans as well, and still is. Guess I will be doing it with S-Flexs all around though, instead of this Slip Stream.

discopig

Post by discopig » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:30 pm

That 1900 not getting below 1300 has got to be the fan. I have three 1900's in my main rig that all run at 700 rpm most of the time and have installed about half a dozen or so more that reliably start up at 5v at about 500 rpm.

I think the versatility of the SH (1900) model is worth the hassle of either setting up a 5v/12v switch or using a fan controller. My 2c.

Adam

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:10 pm

I must have missed that part in your post. I agree that the fan is likely to be at fault. I does seem that SlipStreams have a higher than average defect rate compared to some other premium fans. I would RMA the fan to Scythe.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:49 am

I returned it to the shop and bought an S-Flex F 1600RPM to replace it.

O', the bliss of 800RPM @6V! I can hear myself think again! :)

Fan controllers were never an option, because that's why I paid for the IP35 PRO. The µGuru control provided is superior in its ease of use compared to fiddling with knobs or setting up probes for automatic stuff. I went from using panels (2 Akasas, Jr and Pro) to having an automated controller (mCubed T-Balancer BigNG) to buying Abit's IP35 PRO based on recommendations on the SPCR forums.

Granted that I only get 6V compared to 5V, but since the readings come from integrated sensors and I can tweak the controller in both BIOS and OS, it's absolutely fantastic. With good fans the 1V difference is not felt.

Too bad about Abit going bust, as in my experience they were the first to take silence seriously. Asus' QFan pales in comparison to the µGuru.

reddyuday
Patron of SPCR

0 rpm!

Post by reddyuday » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:29 pm

I thought I should mention this here. The Scythe Kama PWM fan that I have isn't able to report fan speeds below about 650rpm. Both in Speedfan and my motherboard software, I get 0rpm as the fan speed. (Fan speeds above 650 rpm are reported fine.)

I am not sure if the tachometer is unable to measure low speeds (hard to imagine) or the motherboard isn't decoding the tachometer output properly.

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: 0 rpm!

Post by MikeC » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:17 pm

reddyuday wrote:I thought I should mention this here. The Scythe Kama PWM fan that I have isn't able to report fan speeds below about 650rpm. Both in Speedfan and my motherboard software, I get 0rpm as the fan speed. (Fan speeds above 650 rpm are reported fine.)

I am not sure if the tachometer is unable to measure low speeds (hard to imagine) or the motherboard isn't decoding the tachometer output properly.
It's probably the mobo -- the output from the fan should be there regardless of speed, especially for a PWM fan whose electronics always see 12VDC in.

Darth Santa Fe

Post by Darth Santa Fe » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:24 pm

I just got one of the SH Slipstreams for an air-powered RC car I'm building. There seems to be some batch variance, because mine runs at around 1,000 RPM at 5V. I'm not using it in my PC, but it's something to watch out for. It does have a much better noise quality than a 2,000 RPM Thermaltake I got a while back (that TT is the loudest "21dBA" fan I've ever heard!), but it's still not quite as good as my Noiseblocker M12 or Gentle Typhoon, both of which need to be reviewed here. :D

mudkip

Re: Attack of the Scythes

Post by mudkip » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:56 pm

I bought 4 of the 1200RPM version, controlled by a Scythe Kaze Q fan controller at the lowest settings, which is around 5v, I still think they're way too loud.
I'm going to replace them by the 800RPM version.

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:10 pm

mudkip wrote:I bought 4 of the 1200RPM version, controlled by a Scythe Kaze Q fan controller at the lowest settings, which is around 5v, I still think they're way too loud.
Yeah, as shown in the roundup, the 1200RPM version only undervolts down to 720RPM @ 5v. The 800RPM version goes down to nearly 400RPM @ 5v.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:16 am

mudkip wrote:I bought 4 of the 1200RPM version, controlled by a Scythe Kaze Q fan controller at the lowest settings, which is around 5v, I still think they're way too loud.
I agree with this, the 1200 rpm is still too loud when undervolted to 5 V. But I've noticed that when the fan is placed inside the case (in the bottom mounted PSU) when I don't notice it. I'd said "silence" is when fans are run at below 5-600 rpm.

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:12 am

Great round up but there huge issue why are you reviewing fans that no store carries. We already knew the Nexus was quiet why review it over and over. Why no new fans Noctua's offerings or the Scythe EX-FDB,Gelid. Why no PWM fans either many the options you review are outdated and still use sleeve bearings. I'd like to see some more modern fans reviewed there far better options now days then the Nexus.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:02 pm

johnniecache7 wrote:Great round up but there huge issue why are you reviewing fans that no store carries. We already knew the Nexus was quiet why review it over and over. Why no new fans Noctua's offerings or the Scythe EX-FDB,Gelid. Why no PWM fans either many the options you review are outdated and still use sleeve bearings. I'd like to see some more modern fans reviewed there far better options now days then the Nexus.
Look closer and realize this article was released Thu May 08, 2008...and then maybe take a look at this article that was released this week :D