Cooler Master Hyper Z600 CPU Cooler: A Real Heavyweight

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Cooler Master Hyper Z600 CPU Cooler: A Real Heavyweight

Post by MikeC » Sun May 25, 2008 11:56 pm

winguy

Post by winguy » Mon May 26, 2008 2:30 am

Thanks for the review. As for low airflow, would really like to see a review of Thermalright HR-01 PLUS soon. :)

osmium76

Post by osmium76 » Mon May 26, 2008 2:50 am

I don't understand (maybe I didn't read carefully the review and did a lot of mistakes due to my bad english) why you don't use the normal Ninja for the comparison table: it gains better results than the copper model with a loss in weight and in money...

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Mon May 26, 2008 3:54 am

Because the original Ninja (or at least the excellent SPCR sample) is no longer available and the Rev.B underperforms.

The review (competent as usually) shows about the same results as the one at Madshrimps, that I read a few days ago.
My opinion is that the heatsink is a poor design, but supplemented by good manufacturing it still performs well.
Of course, I would never put so much weight on my motherboard. That's why I eagerly wait for the review of the HR-01+, which is ~400g lighter.

One thing to note is that the heatpipes have been bent into curves that I thought were quite difficult to achieve.
I have a 'Quinja' concept, for a Ninja-like heatsink, with 5 heatpipes, that should end up light enough and perform as good as this CM.
Couldn't yet find time to draw and post it in these forums (it's still all in my mind), but I hope to do it soon.

PS. For those who don't know how the HR-01+ looks and performs (according to a German site, but I'm still waiting for SPCR's review), links:
http://www.silenthardware.de/reviews/cp ... index.html
http://www.silenthardware.de/reviews/cp ... index.html
Last edited by Tzupy on Mon May 26, 2008 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

lethul

Post by lethul » Mon May 26, 2008 7:52 am

winguy wrote:Thanks for the review. As for low airflow, would really like to see a review of Thermalright HR-01 PLUS soon. :)
Is that pretty much a TRUE designed for fanless use?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon May 26, 2008 8:30 am

Hello,

I'm wondering if turning the fan around (so it blows away from the fins) would work? Maybe covering the "hole" at the top (and maybe the bottom) would help?

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Mon May 26, 2008 8:32 am

Thorough review as always. I think this is the first time I've ever found a spelling mistake before anyone else! In the "Key Features" under "Our Comments", "It leads to tighter din spacing, which may not be ideal for a passive heatsink."

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Mon May 26, 2008 8:39 am

Tzupy wrote: PS. For those who don't know how the HR-01+ looks and performs (according to a German site, but I'm still waiting for SPCR's review):
I've had one for almost a year, and I've been waiting that long for a review, they probably didn't get a sample. It's just 2 more heatpipes on the same HR-01 fin design. It works well, but it just wasn't widely reviewed.

chahahc

Post by chahahc » Mon May 26, 2008 11:39 am

Great review. Though funny how there's very little mention of the Cooler Master Hyper Z600 in this discussion, instead most of the focus is on comparisons between the Ninja CU, Ninja rev.B, and Hr-01 plus.:D
MikeC wrote:
Tzupy wrote:@MikeC: I had a look at an overlooked contender for the 'best heatsink with low airflow', the HR-01 you reviewed here: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article290-page5.html
It would have been nice to include it in the comparison table, since the old review shows it to be 1-4 degrees worse than your precious Ninja sample.
Which means it's about as good as the Ninja CU, but a lot lighter, and cheaper too. Of course, that review was on Socket 478, things may be different on 775 or AM2.
There is a new version of the HR-01 with 6 heatpipes, called the Plus, it would be quite interesting to read a SPCR review on it.
yeah, we have a new one to review.

Eagerly waiting for a review on a possible future heatsink of mine. :P

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Mon May 26, 2008 12:37 pm

For its size the Z600 underperformed, as i suspected it would. The shape and size of the thing was all marketing with cooling efficiency playing second fiddle.

fmriguy

Post by fmriguy » Mon May 26, 2008 2:02 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello,

I'm wondering if turning the fan around (so it blows away from the fins) would work? Maybe covering the "hole" at the top (and maybe the bottom) would help?
I was wondering the same thing. It seems a bit of cardboard or duct tape over the central gap might convince a bit more air to flow through the center fins. I half expected that to be the next page in the article! :wink:

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue May 27, 2008 7:27 pm

In case you didn't notice, a change on the last page of the review:
POSTSCRIPT - May 27, 2008

The question of whether the gap between the fan and the fins could be closed — and what the effect of this might be — came up in the forum discussion of this review. It was a simple experiment to try. A piece of ordinary packing tape was used to block the hole at the top. The bottom portion was left open, as it's needed for VRM cooling anyway.

The result was a small but measurable 2°C improvement in cooling at all fan speeds.

fmriguy

Post by fmriguy » Tue May 27, 2008 8:49 pm

Excellent! :D Thanks for adding to the review. I wonder what they were thinking with that odd channel in the center...probably just for aesthetics. Granted I think I will be sticking with my 2 Ninjas given the fairly modest performance difference.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri May 30, 2008 1:49 am

Z600 did performed better than I expected, alright its heavy as sin... And since I am AMD user Ninja Rev B is enough good for me.

However Z600 does have good mounting mechanism, even its pain to install... I wonder when Scythe makes real bolt thru mechasnims with backplate and all...

bgavin

Post by bgavin » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:35 am

Over on the Scythe forum, the moderator said Scythe is releasing a new mounting kit "soon". I suspect the huge amount of pushback against push-pin mounting for heavy coolers is being felt.

For this big Coolermaster, I am willing to trade the obviously awkward mounting method for solid attachment. I'm not one who pulls coolers and processors except for repairs, which are very rare.

For those of us who are VRM-anal, it would be nice to see a temp reading on a VRM capacitor, mid-socket, I/O shield side of the socket in the cooler reviews. The VRM power draw measurement is useful, but is not indicative of early end-of-life caused by overheated components.

Accumulated temp readings would then become relative, and a pattern will emerge. I don't know if an optical device such as the MicroTemp MT-Pro or a physical probe is more suitable.