Thermalright HR-01 Plus: 2nd Gen Killer Tower Cooler

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
fyleow

Post by fyleow » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:40 pm

Felger Carbon wrote:
fyleow wrote:Great results, wonder how long before we see more manufacturers adopt the "direct heatpipe touch technology"
Fyleow, ya got me konfuzed! I woulda sworn that the HR-01+ did NOT use HDT! :wink:
You're right, it doesn't. I think I only posted bits of my thoughts there. :oops:

My post should have been more like:

Hey the Xigmatek performs almost as well and it's only $35. Must be that HDT technology working. Wonder when Thermalright will start using that technique as well. Since the HR-01 is already showing such great results I want to see the performance of a HDT version.

EsaT

Post by EsaT » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:07 am

thetoad30 wrote:I'm also curious what it would cool like with a flat base.
Probably less well because of concave heatspreaders preventing contact in hottest area of CPU.

Would be very interesting to see this design with that direct heatpipe touch.
(also with slightly bigger fins/more surface area this could win TRUE completely)

Xigmatek S1284 should be also interesting, there's one heatpipe more and fins are more loosely spaced but larger than in S1283
http://www.xigmatek.com/product/air-achilless1284.php

kaange

Post by kaange » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:23 pm

Damn! I wish this review had come out BEFORE I bought my TRUE :(
fyleow wrote:almost as well and it's only $35. Must be that HDT technology working. Wonder when Thermalright will start using that technique as well. Since the HR-01 is already showing such great results I want to see the performance of a HDT version.
I guess I'll just have to wait for this before I have an excuse to upgrade :wink:

aSASa

Post by aSASa » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:38 pm

EsaT wrote:
thetoad30 wrote:I'm also curious what it would cool like with a flat base.
Probably less well because of concave heatspreaders preventing contact in hottest area of CPU.

Would be very interesting to see this design with that direct heatpipe touch.
(also with slightly bigger fins/more surface area this could win TRUE completely)

Xigmatek S1284 should be also interesting, there's one heatpipe more and fins are more loosely spaced but larger than in S1283
http://www.xigmatek.com/product/air-achilless1284.php
It's worse ;).

confusion

Post by confusion » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:23 pm

In the recommended list for the HR-01 plus, it says:
HR-01X variant with different hardware allows free rotation of mounting position on AM2 for correct fan position.
This isn't quite correct. The HR-01X is the version for dual-socket Intel Xeon motherboards, and can also be used for AMD Opteron with a different backplate that must be bought separately.

For rotating the heatsink on socket AM2, a separately-sold item called the "S-type heatsink clip" is needed. This item seems to be hard to actually buy anywhere in my experience.

gmontem
Friend of SPCR

Post by gmontem » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:51 pm

MikeC wrote:
nazgoth wrote:great review, now all i need to know is ....

does HR-01 PLUS fit inside NSK3480 on Asus P5E-VM HDMI ?

:wink:
The position of the CPU top is about the same for all current CPUs... and a Ninja fits with 2cm to spare in the NSK3480 that houses our new audio test PC. The HR-01+ is 1cm taller, so it should be no problem.
Thanks. Looks like this will fit inside a Compucase LX-6A19 then. :D

Yoyoson

Post by Yoyoson » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:42 pm

First off, thanks for the review!

Unfortunately after only a few weeks after the review comes out, I cannot find this unit anywhere. Can anyone point out a reliable vendor/online retailer?

My apologies if this kind of behavior is a no-no. This is my first post here and all; you've got a great site here. :) PM me if necessary.

Also, I am planning to pair this with a Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfram. The motherboard will be a GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L. All housed in an Antec P182. If anyone can see any problems with that, please let me know!

Stravos

Post by Stravos » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:56 pm

SVC usually has it in stock at $50: http://www.svc.com/hr-01plus.html

gmontem
Friend of SPCR

Post by gmontem » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:48 am

I'm examing both the printed instructions that came with my HR-01 Plus and the brief photo instructions online here.

I'm a bit confused with the online step 2 instruction. Where in the base should I apply a thin layer of thermal paste?

The printed instructions don't mention anything about this. Is this step even necessary? This is for a socket 775 installation.

Stravos

Post by Stravos » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:01 am

gmontem, it looks like the text instructions on that page do not match up with the pictures shown. Just follow the printed instructions, they're fine for the most part :)

nina

Post by nina » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:54 am

Well I bought the HR-01 Plus.

First remarks, the components for 775 and am2 where mixed
in the plastic bags. To find out with belong to 775 wasn't so hard
to find out. But anyway this shouldn't be.
Next where to place the O-rings? SPCR shows it different than
what's on the included very small and and bad written manual.
Even on their instruction page on internet of thermalright you can see that the small
brackets (for AM2 on picture 1 are sitting in the 775 bag)
http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/ ... 01plus.htm
From the same instruction site;
To begin installation, please insert the hollow pillars through the mounting holes from the back of the plate and then use the appropriate O-rings to secure in place
This means that the O-rings are below the motherboard.
On the included manual, you have to guess. The drawing says
how the order is but not where the motherboard is located.
A small line that indicated the place of the mobo would be really handy.
From what I read on SPCR review the O-rings are below the brackets
between the brackets and the mobo.
The installation guide on the net shows to put thermal paste
on the cpu, AND on the cooler base. You see on the pic from there website
that the coolerbase is way larger than the cpu. Which means a lot of thermal paste from the coolerbase also touches the holder of the cpu.
Very strange, never heard of this. (spcr mentions only paste on the cpu).
Anyway I did it as the manual instructed (two layers of thermal paste, used the one included), and putted the O-ring on top on the mobo under the brackets.
Everything connected, double checked. Seemed ok.

Started computer, Corsair PSU directly disconnected. Which I found bizar.
Even no image on screen.
I tried to start two times more. Suddenly after about 3 secondes
a strange crispling electric noise, and a burning smell.
Shutted down everything.
Checked all my pc components in another PC, gladly my expensive
videocard still worked, and the RAM, and HDs, and DVDwriter.
Corsair PSU seemed to act strange in another PC.
So I putted a seasonic PSU in the PC with HR-01 Plus, no video,
nothing only the fans spinned up.
So I went to a computer shop, they tested everything, results :
motherboard and cpu defect. Rest ok.

So VERY big thanks Thermalright for the very good explanations on
your website and included manual.
At least make both matched and make it clear where the O-ring has to go. (maybe clickable picture to enlarge them to SEE where the O-ring has
to go, would be very usefull).
I guess that the O-rings where on the wrong place.

Putting the HR01 plus on my gigabyte GA-965-DS4 now costs me a lot
of money!!!

I think that I will send this message also to thermalright.

Cerb

Post by Cerb » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:14 am

Don't forget to send it to Gigabyte, too.

That should not happen. You should able to install the HSF with a good insulating layer (like clear plastic to protect the mating surface on the bottom of a heatsink...not that I ever, um, well, :oops:) on the CPU, and it should simply refuse to boot, due to thermal shutdown.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:21 am

Something got shorted...sounds like either the HS itself or another piece of hardware was contacting something it shouldn't (MOSFETs maybe?) and you shorted out your CPU power phase and fried the CPU in the process.

Damn shame, but I'd check again and see where contact could have been made (check the backside of the mobo too).

nina

Post by nina » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:55 am

I checked the clearance between the condensators and other components
under the brackets before it did anything else, there was around 1.5mm
room.
At the shop we checked the mobo fully with a magnifier, the things
that are visible seems all to be ok. So for sure I will send the mobo back
to the e-shop where I bought the Gigabyte, as they will have a hard
time to spot why it is broken.Even when we cleaned the cpu, there was
nothing to see that is burned.
I'm gonna stop buying such important components via internet.
A normal pc shop is easier to RMA.
I already ordered in the same pc shop a new mobo.
And have an older E6420 lying somewhere here, so that should be temporarily good enough, till I got again some money.
But where the O-rings should be is still a question.
SPCR - straight under the bracket mounts on top of the mobo (see review)
Thermalright - at the hollow pillars on the backplate
When placed on top of the mobo below the bracket mounts (what I did), the whole
cpu cooler goes a little bit higher, maybe just enough for not touching
the cpu properly. And that's why the system didn't want to boot.
When I have all my parts back from the shop, I'm gonna take pictures
from the Cooler's base, as I remember it bein larger than the pictures
I see on the net. But I'm not sure anymore.

nina

Post by nina » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:54 pm

I got finally an RMA for komplett.be for the mobo.
And the shop I bought the CPU,will send it back to Ingram (importer in
Belgium) as these are less difficult than sending it to Intel straight.
I ordered also a new mobo (as the RMA of gigabyte seems to take
multiple weeks).
Still waiting for the products.
THe shop will mount everything for me (to be sure) for free.
Meanwhile I'm working on an older pc.
Cant wait..I want to see the HR-01 Plus in action.
Maybe my E8500 was not concave as thermalright assumes.

bosveld15

Post by bosveld15 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:50 am

I use the HR-01 Plus with fanduct in an Antec P182 case. The fanduct is placed between the HS and the standard Antec TriCool outtake fan at lowest speed. My motherboard is an Asus P5Q-E with a Quad Core Q9450 CPU.

When installing the backplate, the O rings (the small ones for 775 socket) has to be used for securing the hollow pillars and thus will be between the mobo and the backplate. However, when the backplate is installed on the P5Q-E, one of the two distance "bumps", the ones with the plastic protection on it, will squeeze the soldering points of the MOSFET's on the back of the motherboard. A solution can be to make a gap in the bump with a dremel or whatever tool. But what i did was using the backplate the other way round and used some rings and distanceholders and isolated the area on the motherboard with tape so the backplate would not contact any soldering points. The hollow pillars which go through the mounting holes has to be flush on the other side of the motherboard. The rest of the installation was OK.

Coretemp reports between 50-55C for core0 and a few degrees lower for the other 3 cores in idle mode where Asus PC Probe and BIOS reports CPU temp of 28-30C in idle mode. With a modest OC to 3.1 Ghz and 100% load stresstest for just 10 minutes, Coretemp reported around 70-75C for core0 and a few less for the other cores.

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:31 pm

I use the HR-01 Plus with fanduct in an Antec P182 case. The fanduct is placed between the HS and the standard Antec TriCool outtake fan at lowest speed. My motherboard is an Asus P5Q-E with a Quad Core Q9450 CPU.
I have an HR-01 Plus on a Q9650. I have a duct but haven't installed it yet. BIOS reports idle temp for the cpu at 42C, Asus PC Probe reports 35C (ambient about 30C). Coretemp is often wrong; Intel has a new one out called RealTemp which I will be trying shortly.

I think I'll need more airflow in the case (P182) should I decide to overclock.
However, when the backplate is installed on the P5Q-E, one of the two distance "bumps", the ones with the plastic protection on it, will squeeze the soldering points of the MOSFET's on the back of the motherboard.
I had this happen when I was installing on my board. I write Thermalright for some other info an mentioned it to them. I got a nice replay back and they commented that it was an engineering issue with the motherboards and lapping the lead ends might help. They also commented it was seen most often on Asus boards. My solution was to turn the plate 90 degrees. As the Intel hole pattern is square, the posts will still fit the holes and a examination of the back side of the board under the plate revealed a few close lead ends but no contacts.

bosveld15

Post by bosveld15 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:04 pm

NyteOwl wrote:I have an HR-01 Plus on a Q9650. I have a duct but haven't installed it yet. BIOS reports idle temp for the cpu at 42C, Asus PC Probe reports 35C (ambient about 30C). Coretemp is often wrong; Intel has a new one out called RealTemp which I will be trying shortly.
I tried RealTemp today and it seems more accurate thus far. No major differences in temp though.
NyteOwl wrote:I think I'll need more airflow in the case (P182) should I decide to overclock.
You should try the duct, it really helps in decreasing temps with about 10C.
Turning the fan to max. speed only makes it 1C cooler compared to the minimum fanspeed. I also did some testing with an extra TriCool fan mounted on the HS. In this way it was a push-pull configuration together with the duct and the outtake fan. Result was again a bit dissapointing, it only made a 1-2C difference.
NyteOwl wrote:I had this happen when I was installing on my board. I write Thermalright for some other info an mentioned it to them. I got a nice replay back and they commented that it was an engineering issue with the motherboards and lapping the lead ends might help. They also commented it was seen most often on Asus boards. My solution was to turn the plate 90 degrees. As the Intel hole pattern is square, the posts will still fit the holes and a examination of the back side of the board under the plate revealed a few close lead ends but no contacts.
I don't want to take a risk of damaging the board by lapping the lead ends, but i will check if i can mount the backplate turned 90 degrees.
I am not sure anymore if i already tried this option the last time i installed the backplate. First i have to get some motivation to un- and re-install everything again :-)

KlaymenDK

Borked link in start of article

Post by KlaymenDK » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:21 am

Heh, have any of you tried to click the "Manufacturer" link saying "Thermalright"? It takes you right to the homepage of ... Scythe. :roll:

I hope an editor can spare a minute to fix it! :wink: Oh, and while I'm here: thanks for this and all the other great articles! This place is a true fountain of information.

fyfe

Post by fyfe » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:56 am

Has anyone tried using the xeon boltthru kit on an am2 motherboard so the airflow is running front to back?

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:53 pm

I did a bit of research for a new build yesterday. According to the TR website, you'd need the HR-01+ with an S-type heatsink clip that allows you to rotate the heatsink. I do not think the HR-01X will fit.

appletree

Post by appletree » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:04 am

NyteOwl wrote:
However, when the backplate is installed on the P5Q-E, one of the two distance "bumps", the ones with the plastic protection on it, will squeeze the soldering points of the MOSFET's on the back of the motherboard.
I had this happen when I was installing on my board. I write Thermalright for some other info an mentioned it to them. I got a nice replay back and they commented that it was an engineering issue with the motherboards and lapping the lead ends might help. They also commented it was seen most often on Asus boards.
Similar problem here installing on ASUS P5Q Deluxe. I found a clean and easy solution to this which worked with my mobo - but perhaps could be used also on other ASUS boards. Here is how the p5q deluxe looks from the bottom side:
http://images.bit-tech.net/content_imag ... tack-8.jpg
http://resources.vr-zone.com/f/p5q/IMG_9943.jpg

Those colliding "pins" are below both of the copper heat sinks on the mobo and will conflict with with the provided backplate regardless if it is 0 deg or 90 deg rotated - using that provided backplate was really a no way for me. So what I did was that I ordered "X-shaped" Thermalright bolt-through kit for 775 http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/ ... 775boltnew and now it it fits perfectly just plug and play - no mobo modding needed and no complicated workarounds.

Only one regret here - that I had to pay shipment 2x as I had to make a separate order to that X-shaped kit. Anyways Thermalright stating that it's a "engineering problem with motherbards" doesn't seem correct to me when clearly it's an engineering problem with they the supplied universal backplate - imo they made it so universal that it won't actually fit on some 775 mobos.

Dxun

Antec P182 + HR-01 Plus

Post by Dxun » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:37 am

Hi'yall.

So, are we absolutely *positive* that HR-01+ will fit the P182?

The Thermalright's detailed drawing is abysmally bad regarding the height of the heatsink - who ever thought of having isometric perspective there should be shot, drowned and then quartered. As a consequence, it is unclear whether 160 mm height pertains to the fin height or the upper heatpipe extension height (which is a dramatic difference).

Also, the dimensions seems to disagree - is it 159.5 or 160 mm height for the heatsink? I mean, this could mean the difference between touching the side panel or not touching it, so it is fairly non-trivial.

As I have read in this thread and this one (silentpcreview/forums/viewtopic.php?p=417218#417218), the HR-01+ should definitely clear the P182 side-panel but I would like to be totally clear on this - I am buying the cooler and new motherboard so it would be quite a....killjoy to discover I cannot close the side-panel just because HR-01+ is 0.5 too tall.

For what it's worth, the MBO in question is Gigabyte EP43-DS3 and CPU is E5200 DC (if that even matters).

I would really appreciate any input on this - thank you very much in advance.

nomoon

Re: Antec P182 + HR-01 Plus

Post by nomoon » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:18 am

Dxun wrote:So, are we absolutely *positive* that HR-01+ will fit the P182?
...For what it's worth, the MBO in question is Gigabyte EP43-DS3 and CPU is E5200 DC (if that even matters).
It fits in my P180 on a Gigabyte EP45-DS3R. It easily cools my E8500 with a direct mounted fan. Speedfan idles the fan at around 495 RPM.

Jason

Dxun

Post by Dxun » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:33 am

It fits in my P180 on a Gigabyte EP45-DS3R. It easily cools my E8500 with a direct mounted fan. Speedfan idles the fan at around 495 RPM.
Excellent, Jason, thank you very much!

I suppose that means it will fit P183 as well (since I'll be taking that one since they ran out of P182's)? I mean, height tolerances should be the same, these are virtually identical chassis as I understand it, with merely some airflow issues resolved and with e-SATA put up front?

closersource

Post by closersource » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:34 pm

What kind of idle temperatures are you getting with your setup?
Last edited by closersource on Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roundabout

Post by roundabout » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:13 pm

Dxun wrote:
Excellent, Jason, thank you very much!

I suppose that means it will fit P183 as well (since I'll be taking that one since they ran out of P182's)? I mean, height tolerances should be the same, these are virtually identical chassis as I understand it, with merely some airflow issues resolved and with e-SATA put up front?
Did you end up being able to install the HR-01 Plus into an Antec P183 case? I'm looking to do the same thing if it will definitely fit. The specs I found say the P182 is 1/2 inch wider than the P183 though...

Thanks!

widdlecat

Post by widdlecat » Mon May 03, 2010 9:12 pm

I'm currently using the HR-01 plus with the fan duct attached to a Noctua S12-B @ 500-650 rpm cooling a Phenom II x4 965 BE @ 3.6GHz. The new Thermalright AM2/AM3 rev. 2 bolt-through mount kits allow for 90* rotation for better flexibility in installation. This cooler provides excellent performance (core temps rarely peaking at 50* C) and the duct keeps the internal case temperature lower than without, thus allowing for cooler chipset temps.