IDF Fall 2008: Through the Silent Glass

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:47 pm

Davinator wrote:
Why bother making the drive hard mount when you can easily suspend any size drive?

I don't care if next month they decide to start selling 2.9782" drives or 3.159123" drives. They'll still fit in my suspension methods.
Wait, you weren't suggesting you would still suspend an SSD, were you?

Doesn't the new technology negate the revolutionary adaption to dealing with the problems of the mechanical drive age?

- Dave
Yeah, if someone came out with a 2.9782" SSD I'd suspend it instead of fooling with a 2.9782" to 3.5" adapter. Even with a 2.5" or 3.5" SSD I might suspend it for convenience sake.

I already have a solo so why would I bother to find sleds when I have suspension built in?

Besides I keep front intake fans on 5v so suspending a drive puts it in the middle of the airflow anyway. I'd wager that it equals or bests any heat dissipation I'd get from the grommet filled drive sleds the Solo uses.

Aris

Post by Aris » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:11 pm

FartingBob wrote:disappointing to see that push pins are here to stay. They are fine for stock coolers, but they tend to either not provide enough pressure or are a pain to get at with alot of the larger heatsinks.
Well dont forget, take off the default push pin bracket and what are you left with? 4 mounting holes. Aftermarket coolers can always opt to use a better retention mechanism with those 4 holes instead of the push pins. At least this way you always know an intel board will have 4 mounting holes no matter what, as apposed to some AMD boards which could only utilize clip on's because they had no mounting holes whatsoever.

Intel is going to go with whatever saves them the most money. Long as it "works" they are happy. And push pins do technically work, just not as well. But its more "user friendly" then say spring loaded bolts that you could overtighten and crush a core with that they then would have to RMA and replace. Its the same reason they went with an LGA as apposed to the old pins on the CPU. It saves them money and it "works", for them anyhow.
jaganath wrote:
VIA has been making a fantastic tiny CPU product for years now.
'fantastic' is not the adjective i would choose. "overpriced" and "slow" spring to mind energetically. what exactly are you using your 533Mhz Eden for? file serving?
They have their place. They've been able to do 1080p video processing with no add-on video card with digital outputs a lot longer than anyone else in the aftermarket scene has been. They've always been good for little servers or just a good web browser machine.

They may be on the expensive side, but some people are willing to pay so they dont have a huge black box sitting on their desk. Smaller IS better.
MikeC wrote: Actually, I have a passively cooled mini-ITX case design in the pipeline.
Please, tell me it uses this case: HFX Micro That case is AWESOME. Heatpipes, with the ability to put an aftermarket video card in it for gamming all packed into a small package with good looks. great great mini-itx case.

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:32 am

Aris wrote:
Well dont forget, take off the default push pin bracket and what are you left with? 4 mounting holes. Aftermarket coolers can always opt to use a better retention mechanism with those 4 holes instead of the push pins.
I know, thats what i did with my ninja revB, its sad that with one of the top selling aftermarket coolers you still need to buy a seperate piece to reach its potential.