Noctua NH-C14 Dual Fan Top-down CPU Cooler

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Noctua NH-C14 Dual Fan Top-down CPU Cooler

Post by Lawrence Lee » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:03 pm

dhanson865

Re: Noctua NH-C14 Dual Fan Top-down CPU Cooler

Post by dhanson865 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:26 am

Low Profile Mode
Run with a single NF-P14 fan underneath the fin stack and with the top fan removed, the NH-C14 measures only 105mm in height, which makes it ideal for use in smaller enclosures and HTPC applications.

clearance High Clearance Mode
The lower NF-P14 fan can be removed in order to provide additional clearance for chipset coolers or RAM modules with tall heat-spreaders. Run with a single fan on top, the NH-C14 provides a full 65mm of clearance.

So thats:

38mm clearance from the motherboard in low profile mode (bottom fan only)
105mm height

65mm clearance from the motherboard in High Clearance mode
130mm height

38mm clearance from the motherboard with both stock fans
130mm height

stock fans are ~25mm thick if for some reason you had a clearance/case size issue you could use Slip Stream Slim 120mm fan(s) in one or both positions in place of a 140mm fan allowing you to shave 12 or 13mm off the stock fans. It also lets you choose other RPMs on a fan that has a lower starting voltage.

50mm clearance from the motherboard with Slipstream Slim
117mm height with Slipstream Slim

May not ever have to do that but it's nice to know that the option is there.

Modo

Post by Modo » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:26 am

Thanks for the review. Looks like a proper low-profile performance part. The towers were getting a bit boring. ;)

How do you think would it stack up against the Thermalright AXP 140?

By the way, the link leads to "page not found".

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:12 am

Thanks for the review. Page 5 has a typo:

"The results with the fan on top were omitted for brevity; on average CPU cooling was 77°C worse while the NB/VRM took a 15°C hit."

I'm guessing that 77C worse might be a lower number :D

Did you happen to measure idle and load power consumed for the various configurations? With these really low VRM temps, I'd love to know the impact on power.

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:12 am

Thanks for your hard work on this excellent down-blower cooler!
Btw, how does the Noctua 140mm fan stack up against Thermalright TY140 in terms of noise? Which one do you prefer?

DAve_M

Post by DAve_M » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:10 am

Nice :)

But how much does the heatsink overhang the top of the motherboard, roughly? Needs another photo from a different angle.

I imagine this heatsink is the ultimate for those of us that have tried unbending a top down cooler so that the fins are right by the exhaust 120mm case fan. Just like in SPCRs single moving part PC. Can SPCR do what they like with review samples or do they have to be sent back? ;)

Plus in the chart a single 120mm Nexus seems to have outperformed a single stock fan. So what would it be like with 2 Nexus fans, even better surely?

mudkip

Post by mudkip » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:15 am

I don't think the Noctua fans are quiet at all. Also I have a feeling this review is just a press release from Noctua.. Too many kind words?

Modo

Post by Modo » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:47 am

Weak troll is weak.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:05 am

I noticed the notches are in 3 different positions on the trailing edges of the 9 blades; and the notches are slightly differently spaced and shaped.

photonblaster

Post by photonblaster » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:39 pm

"The only surprise was how well our 120 mm reference fan performed."

I am actually not that surprised. I do not recall ever seeing an SPCR HS review where the reference fans did not do better than the stock fans. Only exception may be the Prolimatech Armageddon review where the review commented that the Scythe 140 may deserve to be SPCR's 140mm reference fan
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... VSU-UPDATE

I wonder why the HS manufacturers do not take note and cut a deal with Nexus to use their fans for their HS (except for Scythe HS maybe)

photonblaster

Post by photonblaster » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:50 pm

photonblaster wrote:"The only surprise was how well our 120 mm reference fan performed."

I am actually not that surprised. I do not recall ever seeing an SPCR HS review where the reference fans did not do better than the stock fans. Only exception may be the Prolimatech Armageddon review where the review commented that the Scythe 140 may deserve to be SPCR's 140mm reference fan
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... VSU-UPDATE

I wonder why the HS manufacturers do not take note and cut a deal with Nexus to use their fans for their HS (except for Scythe HS maybe)
I re-read the article, and while my observation on the use of reference fans instead of stock fans is still valid IMO, the fact that the reference fan beats a 140mm fan at the same sound level at higher fan voltages is a little surprising. But looking at the other temps, it would appear thant the air flow for the 120mm fan is more conentrated in the HS and less of the flow cools the VRM and NB.

photonblaster

Post by photonblaster » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:43 pm

Re-read the review again.

It would have also been very interesting to test the HS with the Scythe 140mm fans. In the Prolimatech Armageddon & Coolermaster V8 CPU Coolers review ( http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1039-page9.html ) it was found: "The Scythe 140 mm fan fared much better than the Noctua."

The Scythe fan peformed so well that "The Scythe's convincing victory over the Noctua makes a compelling argument for its use as our 140 mm reference fan."

Can SPCR consider using this fan in future 140mm fan HS reviews?

Tsorovan

Post by Tsorovan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:12 am

Would you say the C14 is a better fit for the Fortress FT02 than the D14, or the other way around?

Ryrynz

Post by Ryrynz » Wed May 09, 2012 1:23 am

I would also like so see how the scythe 140mm fan fares vs the nexus 120mm on this cooler. I'm currently running the stock fan at 7v on this, have any of you upgraded the fan?
If so, what did you upgrade to? I'm mostly concerned with the acoustics, thanks.