Apex MI-008: A Cheap Quiet mini-ITX Case?

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
ghatothkach

Re: Apex MI-008: A Cheap Quiet mini-ITX Case?

Post by ghatothkach » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:43 pm

hi

Yate loon fan note...

hi

I bought the Yate loon fan as they were described in the review, but unfortunately it started clicking and after some investigation I found that
the metal rail for the HDD was causing the fan to warp on one side which was causing the problem..

Next I just dremel'd my way out of the problem... now its noise-"less", just a note for other guys...

see the pictures below...

G
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

puddnhead

Re:

Post by puddnhead » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:23 pm

frank2003 wrote:I just finished this mod and turned an external USB IR receiver into an internal unit.

It involved some soldering to extend the IR receiver module (that's the 3-pin device with dome shaped lens) and the status LED (a total of 4 wires - Vcc, Gnd, IR module signal out, and LED out), enlarging the hole behind the power button, and fitting the combined IR module and LED inside the power button.

There's plenty of space inside the power switch to house both the IR receiver module (similar to this) and a small LED. To my surprise the small areas of clear plastic on the face of and around the the power button are sufficient to provide excellent IR reception. The best part of the mod was that it did not involve making any external cosmetic modifications to the case.
frank2003, along with BinaryTB, we continue to await you providding more details of this. I am going to quote you again in hopes you notice this request in your list of replies to your posts ...
ghatothkach wrote:after some investigation I found that the metal rail for the HDD was causing the fan to warp on one side which was causing the problem..Next I just dremel'd my way out of the problem... now its noise-"less", just a note for other guys...
Yeah that's what I did too, more or less (I think I used something less elegant than a dremel). Although I moved the fan furhter forward than you did. I didn't see the point of having so much of the airflow from the 120mm blowing into the solid steel side of the PSU. You have it so far to the back, I wonder if it extends even further back than the vent holes on the side of the case?

matt_garman
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Apex MI-008: A Cheap Quiet mini-ITX Case?

Post by matt_garman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:14 pm

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but... what do you guys think about putting a passive nvidia gt430 in this case? I'm not sure if they'd fit, but going by the newegg pictures, the ZOTAC ZT-40605-10L and ASUS ENGT430 DC SL/DI/1GD3 look like they would fit. Not sure if they'd get too hot though.

Also, does anyone have any experience with any of the non-passive gt430 cards that would fit in the MI-008? Again going only by the pictures, but the EVGA 01G-P3-1431-KR and SPARKLE SXT4301024S3LHS look like they might fit (maybe others as well). Just not sure how bad the fan would be, particularly in a cramped case like the MI-008.

I ask this question in the context of a home theater pc, so would likely be paired with an i3-2100. I would also use a PicoPSU to free up space for a decent heatsink on the CPU. Just wondering how the gt430 might fare in this situation.