Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB: The Perfect Balance?

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB: The Perfect Balance?

Post by Lawrence Lee » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:16 pm

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:56 pm

Good to see Seagate is doing stuff in the right direction. First they finally fix faulty drives and now make their 1.5TB Barracuda better. The revolution has begun!

dcuccia

Re: Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB: The Perfect Balance?

Post by dcuccia » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:00 pm

2nd to last paragraph of review should read:

"(Western Digital now has a 2TB Green Power)"

...not:

"(Western Digital now has a 2GB Green Power)"

Was searching for "2GB Green Power" and couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting any hits!

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:39 pm

An improvement, but not good enough to regain its title of best drive maker around (it sure seems a while since it had that badge as well). 2TB Greenpowers should be shipping in the coming few weeks accoridng to most sites which will eliminate the biggest selling point for this drive (highest capacity).

Greg F.

Post by Greg F. » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:45 pm

dcuccia wrote:
2nd to last paragraph of review should read:

"(Western Digital now has a 2TB Green Power)"

...not:

"(Western Digital now has a 2GB Green Power)"

Was searching for "2GB Green Power" and couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting any hits!
Or perhaps you had too many "hits" if you get my drift and I think you do (he said in a friendly and well meaning way)
sorry, couldn't resist.

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:53 pm

Unfortunately, the 2TB Green Powers are selling for $299 right now...

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:57 pm

dcuccia wrote: Was searching for "2GB Green Power" and couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting any hits!
Fixed. I think in my head I was thinking "GP."

posies2323

Post by posies2323 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:00 pm

I've been eying the Seagate 1.5TB drive since it was released late last summer. But I've also been reading the travails of owners at Seagate's community forum and Newegg customer reviews. It's not worth the risk to me.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:01 pm

the article wrote:Thanks to its high areal density, it is also one of the faster 7200 RPM drives out there, at least according to HD Tach. It posted a very high average read speed, high enough to rival the Velociraptor
Obviously increasing platter densities are going to mean increasing sequential read speeds, and that is not the point of Velociraptor.

Velociraptor = a drive that can do 7ms random access. That's the point of Velociraptor. It's not going to get rivaled in that category too soon by any other spinning SATA drive. In fact I think it's not going to get rivalled at all until this use case is totally dominated by SSD drives in the future.

ekerazha

Post by ekerazha » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:47 am

Seagate also announced the Barracuda 7200.12 series: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/produc ... a_7200.12/

They should be 500 GB per-platter.

hybrid2d4x4

Post by hybrid2d4x4 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:53 pm

^ Very suspicious that they ship in 250GB, 500GB, 750GB and 1TB capacities. Also they claim upt o 160MB/s sustained on the webpage, but the datasheet says 125...

bozar

Post by bozar » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:53 pm

I don't get it, the noise levels are 6 dB lower than WD black, is it really that much more quiet or did you test en drive in that fancy chamber of yours and one at some other place? I would like to se it compared to the GP you previously reviewed.

drees

Post by drees » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:41 pm

hybrid2d4x4 wrote:^ Very suspicious that they ship in 250GB, 500GB, 750GB and 1TB capacities. Also they claim upt o 160MB/s sustained on the webpage, but the datasheet says 125...
Not suspicious at all - drive manufactures have been shipping disks which only use one side of a platter for ages - I suspect that they take platters which have defects on only one side and use those as single-sided platters rather than throw them in the circular file.

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:33 pm

bozar wrote:I don't get it, the noise levels are 6 dB lower than WD black, is it really that much more quiet or did you test en drive in that fancy chamber of yours and one at some other place? I would like to se it compared to the GP you previously reviewed.
All the drives listed on the comparison table were tested in the chamber. We don't have a GP to re-test atm.

I suggest you listen to the recordings for a better sense of the noise level difference.

hybrid2d4x4

Post by hybrid2d4x4 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:26 pm

drees wrote: Not suspicious at all - drive manufactures have been shipping disks which only use one side of a platter for ages - I suspect that they take platters which have defects on only one side and use those as single-sided platters rather than throw them in the circular file.
Thanks for the explanation, I actually haven't heard that before. I previously assumed that if a platter was going to have enough defects on one side to call it a write-off, odds are the other side isn't in much better shape (ie: good enough to use).

tha_lode

Post by tha_lode » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:23 am

Is there really any point in reviewing disk based storage anymore?

With all the wonderful SSD options out there (Intel, Mtron and maybe the new models from OCZ to name a few) I can't see what the point is for SPCR spending time on the noisy & warm HDD options.

Sure, it is cheaper. But this forum is all about noise, not price. (Correct me if I'm wrong on this point)

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:31 am

tha_lode wrote:Is there really any point in reviewing disk based storage anymore?

With all the wonderful SSD options out there (Intel, Mtron and maybe the new models from OCZ to name a few) I can't see what the point is for SPCR spending time on the noisy & warm HDD options.

Sure, it is cheaper. But this forum is all about noise, not price. (Correct me if I'm wrong on this point)
2.5" hard disks offer a very good compromise between noise and cost/GB. Not all of us are millionaires, and have substantial storage requirements, where SSDs are still inadequate.

tha_lode

Post by tha_lode » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:47 am

I just think that having a server w lots of space on traditional HDDs hidden away where noise isn't a problem, and a small SSD w the just the OS on the computer I use is a better solution.

A small SSD is not that expensive either.

iancalderbank

Post by iancalderbank » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:56 am

tha_lode wrote:Is there really any point in reviewing disk based storage anymore?

I'd say there is always a trade off. price vs performance vs noise. and thats why there is still a point to these reviews.

so me - I'm upgrading my server storage box, looking for a new big drive. and its sits in my office where I can hear it. I have been using samsung spinpoints (have 1x500G, 2x1T) to date, looking to see if the competition has caught up. So noise is still an issue for a 3.5" drive. hence why I read this review.

in my htpc in the tv room I currently have a 3.5" (which I'm finding too noisy), about to change for a 2.5" and put the 3.5" in the office server.
the htpc might become an SSD eventually when prices drop more. right now, SSD is too much money for the size. One that will hold my base OS and no more is over 100GBP. I can't buy one big enough to hold my media without selling my house :lol:

so for me - silence/performance/price of storage of all drive types is still very much relevant.

Ian

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:45 am

tha_lode wrote:A small SSD is not that expensive either.
The cheapest SSD's arent too expesnive sure, but they have pretty poor performance and are slower than the latest HDD's in many tasks. At the moment you need to go pretty high end SSD's to get a decent improvement across the field comapred to the best mechanical drives, and at that point its not good value for money.
For a silence and cooling POV cheap SSD's are good, but still i dont think paying 10x the $/GB is worth saving ~5w.

ACook

Post by ACook » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:59 pm

tha_lode wrote:I just think that having a server w lots of space on traditional HDDs hidden away where noise isn't a problem, and a small SSD w the just the OS on the computer I use is a better solution.

A small SSD is not that expensive either.
I have 2 rooms in my aparment, a living- and a bedroom. Where would you propose I put this server?

good gbit switches/routers are expensive too

tha_lode

Post by tha_lode » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:32 am

uhm... hanging outside the window? ;-)

Okay, I see your point.

(I put mine in the basement.)

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:29 pm

I just got a couple of the 1TB 3 platter 7200.11 models, (one which has much newer firmware and one which has updated firmware), looks like they're as quiet as advertised. I still had a couple old 7200.10's and the noise difference is absolutely amazing. The 7200.11 that were unmounted and outside were still way quieter than the 7200.10's inside my case. My guess is the drives are still louder than any fan, but now it's a lot harder to tell. Unfortunately there is some loss of access speed, but I think a couple ms of extra access time is worth the silence. Sounds like the 7200.12 drives have the same access time issue as well.

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:15 pm

Well I got one of these drives for a new system im putting together and found the thing runs Very Hot.

Granted it wasnt in a case, but just sitting on my desk for bench testing -- Tthe drive became almost too hot to touch while it was formatting.

Anyone know if this is normal?

-- yes im planning on putting it in a case with cooling and such, but if it gets this hot in such a short time im worried i may have to reorganize things to have a dedicated fan.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:48 pm

kittle wrote:Well I got one of these drives for a new system im putting together and found the thing runs Very Hot.

Granted it wasnt in a case, but just sitting on my desk for bench testing -- Tthe drive became almost too hot to touch while it was formatting.

Anyone know if this is normal?

-- yes im planning on putting it in a case with cooling and such, but if it gets this hot in such a short time im worried i may have to reorganize things to have a dedicated fan.
I'm surprised about the hotness. My 7200.11 1tb's are actually 5 degrees less than my old 7200.10 4 platter(which btw is way way louder). Not sure if it's normal or not. I guess it's possible that the 4 platter 7200.11 is a bit hotter. I was getting temps around 33-34 degrees inside my case. Outside I'd expect a bit worse as there's no moving air.