Asus P7H55D-M EVO LGA1156 microATX Motherboard

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Asus P7H55D-M EVO LGA1156 microATX Motherboard

Post by MikeC » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:51 pm

blaster5k

Post by blaster5k » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:36 am

The power consumption issue is strange, but also visible in H55/H57 roundup on Anandtech.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3732&p=8

Apparently, the MSI board is much more efficient.

wickchucker

Post by wickchucker » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:53 am

Would the liberal bios options for undervolting be able to offset the increased power consumption? The Intel board is remarkably low on consumption (like Atom level low!), but seems so sparse in other categories.

Anyone have thoughts on the P7H55D vs. DH55TC for an always on 24/7 server/htpc system build (paired with i3-530)? Would the lack of VRM heatsinks and solid caps make the Intel board decrease its long term reliablity?

croddie

Post by croddie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:02 am

It's a shame this involves fan control via windows applications rather than from an efi screen. I think we'd have more widely available and reliable controls if motherboards all went to efi. Who buys a motherboard and then puts a 32bit OS on it these days?
Just my suspicion though.

chanman

Post by chanman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:28 pm

I notice the year is off on the date stamp.

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:33 pm

I find it strange how the southbridge and FETs on the Asus board run hotter in spite of apparently better cooling. Perhaps the funky heatsinks are not so effective? It`s also possible that the southbridge voltage is higher and the power circuitry less efficient than on the Intel board. Could this partly explain the difference in power consumption?

@wickchucker
Solid state capacitors are nice to have but they`re still electrolytic capacitors, their life time is not that much longer. Overall capacitors don`t dissipate a lot of heat, if there are no hot components nearby they should stay pretty cool and thus last for quite a bit.

I sometimes can`t help but like Intel`s no frills approach to board design (most likely it`s Foxconn that deserves the credit). In this case it seems to pay off in terms of power consumption.

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:54 am

Here's the question I want to see answered:

When using an i5-750 and a discrete GPU, what are the real differences between P55 and H55?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Blappo

Post by Blappo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:52 am

@swivelguy2
Anandtech mentions that they will look into OC a Lynnfield on a H55. Hopefully, they will cover the other differences as well.
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3732&p=11

So far the only differences that I see are:
- H55 cannot support multiple GPUs with a Clarksdale (in theory it can with a Lynnfield CPU)
- H55 does not support RAID

Unfortunately, the price differences between a low-end P55 and H55 are very small (<$10 CAN). Unless the price gap widens, there is much of a savings going with a H55 mobo.

maalitehdas

Post by maalitehdas » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:55 am

In the article You wrote:Minimum Fan Duty Cycle: 00% to 100% in 10% increments
Do you mean this board is able to shut off fans totally in low temperatures and power them on again when the temperature rises? If so, how many fans does this feature support? Makes me think about changing my MB!

Wayne Redpath

Post by Wayne Redpath » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:14 pm

RE: "the power measurements of the CPU and VRMs showed a 5W difference when idle that evaporated when the system was placed on load"
=> Power supplies, whether different models or brands, commonly have have different efficiencies at different loads.

RE: "the P7H55D-M EVO is constantly using extra power regardless of what the system is doing"
=> The intel DH55TC has fewer add-on chips. The MSI H55M-ED55 also has fewer add-on chips.

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:14 pm

Any coil whine based on cpu load?

I've got some on another 1156 Asus Board, the P7P55D PRO. I've been too lazy to determine the exact location of it, just running my fans higher to drown it out :roll:

I have the feeling this will come up eventually and I'll need to get creative...

Also, what about buzz/whine on front panel audio? I've been trying to determine if it's the board's fault or the P183's fault.

diver

Post by diver » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:46 pm

A nice mobo, but too expensive for this platform. What is going to be really cool is when this chipset makes it onto micro ITX.

mozartrules

Post by mozartrules » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:20 pm

I was OK paying the extra $30 since I wanted to have USB3 moving forward (having to install an extra card is a hassle).

I am OK on power consumption at 52W AC idle (CPU is an i5-660), but I am using a 650W PSU (Seasonic X-650 for the quality) which is gold rated but if cause not with ideal efficiency at this level. That is measured with a Kill-A-Watt and includes an 2x2Gb RAM, an SSD, a 1.5Tb Samsung F2, a Bluray drive and four fans (Fortress FT02 with the three bottom fans on low and a Scythe PWM fan on top which runs around 350rpm).

You may ask why I am using an FT02 and an X-650 with a dual core MicroATX motherboard and only 2HD. I like the design and cooling ability at low noise levels and this gives me something that can be used if I need more disk space or a faster processor (it is my desktop as well as file server for my music system).

JohnS1

My P7H55D-M EVO experience

Post by JohnS1 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:31 pm

First, some system particulars:

i5-750
4 Gb ram
Win 7 64b
Nvidia GTS 250 (Sparkle LP 1024)
Antec NSK 1480 / Samsung & WD HDD / Samsung DVD
Scythe Big Shuriken on the way but so far stock HSF is not doing too badly.
Last but not least: Asus P7H55D-M EVO

Everything is working pretty well with the exception of no audio over HDMI. The optcal spdif as well as the front and rear audio jacks all work normally.

In addition to talking to Sparkle, Nvidia and Asus tech support, I have tried the following:

- reinstalled most drivers and even tried beta versions.
- tried HDMI and spdif setting for mobo bios.
- checked HDMI cable and monitor (tv) with other sources.
- cheked mobo spdif to VGA cable (yes I installed it)
- tried a second new Nvidia GTS 250
- reinstallled OS
- tried every combination of settings in Win audio panel (eanable, disable, default, HDMI, digital etc.)
- spent 25-30 hours reading forums, tech info etc.
- rigged a cable to test mobo spdif header, checked good (in spdif mode not HDMI)
- tried a second monitor
- cheked all Realtek panel settings.
- and lots of other stuff.

I am now waiting for a replacement mobo as Asus suggested the audio chip may be bad. I have my doubts but I guess it is possible. Besides, it is about all that is left to try.

I have read of some people having issues with Nvidia cards and HDMI audio but most seem to be fixed with the usual suggestions. However, I have run accross a few who seem to have given up. I would try an ATI card with onboard audio vs this pass thru setup but I really prefer to have an Nvidia card because of FSX considerations.

Yeah, I know I could just use spdif to my AV receiver but that is too easy and I don't want to have to fire it up all the time. HDMI audio is supposed to work. Just a heads up to everyone and of course if you have a suggestion, I am all ears.

maalitehdas

Post by maalitehdas » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:12 am

In addition to talking to Sparkle, Nvidia and Asus tech support, I have tried the following:

- reinstallled OS
- tried every combination of settings in Win audio panel (eanable, disable, default, HDMI, digital etc.)
- rigged a cable to test mobo spdif header, checked good (in spdif mode not HDMI)
- tried a second monitor
Probably you've done this already but it's not in the list so:
- Checked Nvidia panel -> Change resolution -> Connector -> HDMI-HDTV Audio Enabled

:? It's not a best place for an audio switch in the screen resolution options, right?

JohnS1

Post by JohnS1 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:15 am

maalitehdas wrote:

- reinstallled OS
- tried a second monitor
Probably you've done this already but it's not in the list so:
- Checked Nvidia panel -> Change resolution -> Connector -> HDMI-HDTV Audio Enabled

:? It's not a best place for an audio switch in the screen resolution options, right?
I agree it could easily be missed. Unfortunately, I have tried that as well.

NT

Re: My P7H55D-M EVO experience

Post by NT » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:48 am

JohnS1 wrote:First, some system particulars:

i5-750
4 Gb ram
Win 7 64b
Nvidia GTS 250 (Sparkle LP 1024)
Antec NSK 1480 / Samsung & WD HDD / Samsung DVD

Everything is working pretty well with the exception of no audio over HDMI. The optcal spdif as well as the front and rear audio jacks all work normally.

- reinstallled OS
- tried a second monitor

I am now waiting for a replacement mobo as Asus suggested the audio chip may be bad. I have my doubts but I guess it is possible. Besides, it is about all that is left to try.

I have read of some people having issues with Nvidia cards and HDMI audio but most seem to be fixed with the usual suggestions. However, I have run accross a few who seem to have given up. I would try an ATI card with onboard audio vs this pass thru setup but I really prefer to have an Nvidia card because of FSX considerations.

Yeah, I know I could just use spdif to my AV receiver but that is too easy and I don't want to have to fire it up all the time. HDMI audio is supposed to work. Just a heads up to everyone and of course if you have a suggestion, I am all ears.
So how did it go, did you get the replacement mobo?
What made you chose this over the equivalent Gigabyte mobo?

Cheers!

JohnS1

Post by JohnS1 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:01 am

Got the replacement board installed. So far, problem is the same but I have only spent a few minutes with it and have few things I want to try.

As to the GB mobo: I was interested in the H55M USB3 but it was slow in coming to market and not available at the time. The first gen GB mobos were not an option for me as they seemed to use the Foxconn connectors which were suspect in the CPU/socket burning issue.

Other minor items were better (for me) placement of expansion slots and more robust power design of the Asus.

Other than the HDMI audio issue I am having (which may have nothing to do with the board itself) I really like the P7H55D-M EVO.

NT

Post by NT » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:02 pm

Good luck with it!

How did you know (for sure) that the Asus H5x's have a more robust power design so early on?
Not a "biggy", cept for those who want to do hard-core OC's w/clarkdale or mild ones w/Lynnfield.
Which doesn't really include me! :lol:

Thank-you!

JohnS1

Post by JohnS1 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:22 am

NT wrote:Good luck with it!

How did you know (for sure) that the Asus H5x's have a more robust power design so early on?

Pretty simple, read the specs or just look at photos of the board which were available before the GB USB 3 was on the market.

Not a "biggy", cept for those who want to do hard-core OC's w/clarkdale or mild ones w/Lynnfield.
Which doesn't realley uinclurde me! :lol:

True. Not a big deal for most. I fall into the Lynnfield camp and this rig will see part time FSX duty where every little bit counts.

Thank-you!

NT

Post by NT » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:28 am

JohnS1 wrote:Pretty simple, read the specs or just look at photos of the board which were available before the GB USB 3 was on the market.
Yeah but specs can be notoriously misleading or outright untrue.
You could tell power management was top-notch by photos, how?
True. Not a big deal for most. I fall into the Lynnfield camp and this rig will see part time FSX duty where every little bit counts.
What's FSX?

Cheers!

maitaijim

Re: My P7H55D-M EVO experience

Post by maitaijim » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:08 am

JohnS1 wrote:First, some system particulars:

Is the Scythe Big Shuriken a good fit? Any interference with the RAM slots? I'm putting together my parts list for my first HTPC build and a low profile cooler is the last piece of the puzzle.

Thanks,
Jim

JohnS1

Post by JohnS1 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:15 pm

I am very pleased with the fit of the Big Shuriken. It does overhang the first of four ram slots but is high enough to allow use of normal height ram. Ripjaws or other similar HS ram may pose a problem in the first slot.
I use 2nd and 4th ram slots so no overhang at all.

NT

Post by NT » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:49 pm

oh really?
fascinating spammer p00

JohnS1

Post by JohnS1 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:00 am

Moderators:

Here is one for you from NT. People like this should not be posting.

NT

Post by NT » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:03 am

Settle mate....
I was referring to the spam that was there earlier, it looks like it's now been removed.

Perhaps you thought I was trying to be antagonistic because you ignored some of my earlier posts?
Who knows.....

But there was honestly some stupid/nonsensical post above the one you just responded to.
I was merely reacting to it, which in hindsight is pointless, but I was sleep-deprived at the time.
Last edited by NT on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NT

Post by NT » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:11 am

Incidentally I did settle on an asus mobo myself, but the bigger brother to yours.....