Silent PC with No Moving Parts

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Olle P

Re: for a case...

Post by Olle P » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:29 am

cordis wrote:How about an Antec Skeleton with the fan shut off?
Nah, too closed off.
Here's the perfect "case": Digital Cowboy ACPCDP/B

Cheers
Olle

just21

Post by just21 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:17 am

The digital cowboy acpcdp is on available from http://www.geekstuff4u.com/acrylic-cowboy.html

Corleone

Post by Corleone » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:43 am

Haven't read all the posts. I'm just throwing out a quick suggestion since I have to leave in a few minutes:

What if you use a tower heatsink and place a slow running 120mm fan at the back of the case. Then place the case in a corner, having the back face directly into the insulation on the walls, to absorb any possible noise. This is of course with some clearance to the wall, so that it won't choke the fan or cause slight turbulence (not sure if turbulence would really be audible, as long as it's blowing directly into the insulation and away from the center of the room). You might also need to apply some insulation on the outside of the case, so that it won't provide sound deflection during testing.

pauljuzza

Re: Silent PC with No Moving Parts

Post by pauljuzza » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:03 am

MikeC wrote:[/Silent_PC_with_No_Moving_Parts]Silent PC with No Moving Parts[/url]
Thank you so much for providing this one, i got something new.

ces

Post by ces » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:10 am

Corleone wrote:What if you use a tower heatsink and place a slow running 120mm fan at the back of the case. Then place the case in a corner, having the back face directly into the insulation on the walls, to absorb any possible noise.

This is of course with some clearance to the wall, so that it won't choke the fan or cause slight turbulence (not sure if turbulence would really be audible, as long as it's blowing directly into the insulation and away from the center of the room).

You might also need to apply some insulation on the outside of the case, so that it won't provide sound deflection during testing.
Take a look at this discussion - sort of in the same vein. Only a bit more elaborate (and I think also a bit more elegant):
viewtopic.php?t=58072&highlight=

ces

Re: for a case...

Post by ces » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:14 am

Olle P wrote:
cordis wrote:How about an Antec Skeleton with the fan shut off?
Nah, too closed off.
Here's the perfect "case": Digital Cowboy ACPCDP/B
There is a third option to the Antec Skeleton and the Acrylic Cowboy. Not as elegant or exciting as the Acrylic Cowboy, but certainly more accessable:
http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/me ... TopTechSTD

Corleone

Post by Corleone » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:57 am

ces wrote: Take a look at this discussion - sort of in the same vein. Only a bit more elaborate (and I think also a bit more elegant): [can't quote the link...]
Wouldn't a cabinet be too big for the anaechoic chamber? I don't really see exactly how this is related to the lab-puter. Or did I misunderstand where he's placing the puter?

ces

Post by ces » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:13 pm

Corleone wrote:Wouldn't a cabinet be too big for the anaechoic chamber? I don't really see exactly how this is related to the lab-puter. Or did I misunderstand where he's placing the puter?
I guess that is a possibility. But maybe not. I guess you don't know what the acoustics are until you try it. It you are using a 500 rpm fan to change the air, maybe there is no problem.

I thought it was relevant because his plan is to place an open air passive computer in the cabinet. I sort of like the concept. He had found a source of low cost 1 inch thick neoprene he was planning to use. I though he should set it up first to determine if that was necessary.