Coolermaster Sileo 500: Quiet ATX Midtower Case

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
lesoudeur

Solo and Coolermaster

Post by lesoudeur » Sun May 31, 2009 7:53 am

Yes, to date my fav case has been the Solo for a quiet computer. Its build quality is excellent except for the main On/Off button (which has been mentioned). However, my fav case of all time and one which I continue to use is the old Cooler Master ATC 710. It was also sold as a "Chieftec Cool Mask middle Server" case". Although it only has 80mm fans its build quality is superb and makes for an excellent basis of a silent type computer.

JaccoW

Post by JaccoW » Sun May 31, 2009 10:20 am

Nice, I just ordered this case for the new pc for my parents.
Should make quite an improvement.

They used to have an HP desktop that made my ears ring after working on it for a few hours.

But with a micro-atx motherboard and modular psu it will be quite empty. :D

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:01 pm

Based solely on the fact that the Sileo can accommodate larger videocards, would it be too stupid to switch from a Solo to a Sileo?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:44 pm

rpsgc wrote:Based solely on the fact that the Sileo can accommodate larger videocards, would it be too stupid to switch from a Solo to a Sileo?
imo, yes. Just mod the solo hdd cage -- so easy!

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:40 am

MikeC wrote:imo, yes. Just mod the solo hdd cage -- so easy!
I don't have a dremel, and I really didn't want to butcher it :(

greasyfinger

Post by greasyfinger » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:44 pm

This case seems like a ripoff to me. It's the same case as the 534 I just bought for 23$ free shipping from Coolermaster refurb deals. Looks like they added cheap foam. I wouldn't consider this to be a silent case just from the the harddrive mounting. It really is terrible on how much vibration there is. I'm modding my old SonataII at the moment and will put my hardware back in it. This thing doesn't even have rubber feet, its like come on. They are charging 30-40$ more and all you get is foam. It's still the same cheap metal and plastic. I'm just venting because my WD 1TB Black is 5 times quieter in my old Sonata, and also you can't feel the vibrations on the desk. Sub par case imo, every antec case I've worked with is much better quality and sound wise.

For the price they are getting pretty close to cases that will destroy it in everything. (Antec SonataIII,Elite, Solos)

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:48 am

Though I tend to agree with you to some degree, the Sileo500's mounting rack differs from 534's one -- 500's rack is armed with vibration-absorbing pad. Furthermore, there's no vent on its side panel. Last but not least, CM implements sound-proofing material in Sileo. In fact, I had similar complaints in this discussion thread. But I think your word, ripoff, is too strong.

greasyfinger

Post by greasyfinger » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:13 am

I just vented a little harsh, but I just hate the whole harddrive cage in that case to begin with. It blocks so much air from the front fan.

But I did find a positive thing about it. I cant link in forums yet, but newegg has this case for 40$ and theres even a free shipping code EMCLVLV23.

I think that is a really good deal for this case since its selling the same price as its noiser twins. Theres even a combo with a Rosewill 530 80plus, for 65$ this is pretty good for a budget-midrange with some gaming ability. Never messed with Rosewill much, but the +12V rail stats look impressive, should power a decent setup with the reliability kinda the unknown factor.

For the original msrp, I still think the case is a ripoff. It should be in the 50$ range imo. Hopefully it doesn't raise much from the newegg sale price. It just seemed like they did the same old cookie cutting then added the backside vent less panel to both sides, then threw in 5$ worth of rubber and padding for 30$ more. But, If the prices stay around 40-50$ I think coolermaster has a great value case that is probably quieter and better looking that most cases around the price. I might have been a little harsh too fast because most cases start off fairly high (original msrp) then they start dropping in price. Unless it's antec, and they raise and drop randomly >.>.

EDIT(more thoughts): The side vent needed to go no matter what. That vent design was terrible. I already took a dremel to that, got tired of it restricting all the air to the 120mm. Also getting an akasa hdd silencer/heatsink that suspends it in a 5.25 slot. Taking out the HDD cage, and gonna take a dremel to anything and everything on the fan guards/grills on front and back. Also found a half-inch thick rubber mat in a junkpile at my parents place. Making feet for it atm. I'll see how I like my uber budget 534 after that. Still thinking on how I want to mod my Sonata. Got my free case door replacement from Antec today ^_^. Pretty nice that I didn't have to supply a serial number or anything, I havnt had my door for like 3 years. I need to pick a nice color scheme for it now.

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:34 am

Some company out there has got to come up with something to challenge Antec. I'm sick of people defending them all the time. They almost have a monopoly here. I don't know about you, but I do not like monopolies.

I mean, what are they (other case makers) scared of? Take a risk, go out on a limb! Use some better quality metal and materials, incorporate SPCR silencing techniques, make the case reliable, sturdy and as unoffensive looking as possible. If it means making a case that's a bit more expensive than run-of-mill, so be it. If there was a genuine alternative, I'm sure most SPCR'ers won't mind -- as long as it was a good product.

CM Sileo 500 is a step in the right direction. A little cynical perhaps, but a forward step nevertheless. I hope Cooler Master and other case makers don't give up on offering a truly worthy case that silencers will consider and eventually adopt. I might be naively optimistic, even hopeful. Why not be? Cases like these get revisions and hopefully they will improve.

Did I mention that I do not like monopolies?

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:52 am

Shamgar wrote:If it means making a case that's a bit more expensive than run-of-mill, so be it.
Oh I can guarantee you they are not afraid of making a more expensive case, just look at all those pimped out ugly "gaming" cases full of plastics and all that garbage :wink:

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:31 am

Those types of junk gaming cases are always overpriced garbage. In my comments, I was specifically referring to cases targeted at silencers that can compete with Antec's mainstays. Instead of trying to compete by lowering price at the expense of poorer quality, my opinion is that they should match or surpass their competitor's quality and charge a little more for the cost of doing so.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:35 am

For all intents and purposes the "silent PC" is a niche market. Not worth their time, effort, and money, in their opinion.

As if it's too difficult to cover the inside of a run-of-the-mill solid, sturdy steel case with noise dampening foam, add low speed fans mounted with soft silicone fan mounts, copy Antec's HDD suspension system or at the very least use soft silicone rubber grommets for the HDD and add anti vibration thingies all around. Also no need to emulate the P18x's separate thermal zones if it would add too much cost or research. There.

But the "gaming" market is way too profitable for them to lose time on a niche market like ours.

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:47 am

All I'm saying then is one company called Antec took the risk with "our" niche market, so why can't another do the same?

Just because a company makes a lot of money from their [overpriced garbage] gaming and performance lines doesn't mean they can't cater for another market. Look at car companies. They make a lot of money from overpriced gas-guzzling "trucks" for work and family called 4WDs, SUVs, URVs, YRVs et al but they also make small economy cars for students, pensioners and single mothers, hybrid cars for businesses and middle class tax avoiders and so on. Well, you get the picture.

Yes, I've heard all the "they don't really care about us", "we're not profitable enough" reasons. Remember, Antec wasn't always into quiet marketed cases. Their first real attempt was the original Sonata in 2003. It is quite prehistoric to what we have now, but it was a start. Before that, they produced server, gaming and OEM type cases which they copied a lot off Chieftec anyway. But someone there had the guts to change the company direction, they were shrewd, targeting all markets. And look at where they are today. Their range is relatively small compared to CM, Lian-Li and the OEMs, but they still beat them in many markets.

NZXT have tried, but so far their attempts are weak and half-hearted. They are like cases with an identity crisis: "silent", gaming, OEM, try again, recycling bin? But we should not deride them. At least they are having a go.

Nexus, with their expertise in fan cooling and PSU production still haven't come up with a worthy alternative. If they got the case foundation right and then bundled it with their Value 430 PSU, it would be a winner. Even a classic. Alas, we live in hope. It is just not there yet.

The boundaries between "gaming" and quiet/silent PC for all needs and purposes is getting blurred. Why can't a clean lines and utilitarian case be considered for "gaming"? An all rounder PC can be used for gaming, office, media, HTPC, programming -- whatever is required. By that, I conclude that the case makers and their fanboybase are living in an age gone by.

I think eventually this immature juvenile "gaming" PC and case market will get so small that it might become irrelevant. Yes, I am optimistic and hopeful. It continues to thrive because it strikes a chord in men who cannot get over their troubled childhoods, who refuse to deal with reality and instead perpetuate their dreamworld on a computer, where they can feel some sense of power because in the real world they have no power at all. The same reason why young men race cars and end up killing themselves and others.

What will constitute a "gaming" or "performance" case in the future, say five years from now? As we know on SPCR, the industry is moving to SFFs like mATX, mini-ITX and pico-ITX. So cases will get smaller and the utilitarian hi-fi look will take over. And then there will be less room for immature troubled men to perpetuate their distorted views of reality in. Then they will become the niche market :wink:.

Yes, I am optimistic. One day, the silencers will win. We will win the hearts and minds of the people. We will convince them that our ways are good for humanity and the earth. And we will all live happily ever... Okay, maybe not. But what if it were true? 8)

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:21 pm

You have a dream?

In the mean time, good enough?
viewtopic.php?t=54552

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:58 pm

A monstrosity may be an understatement for that. A good effort nonetheless. But not my cup of tea.