Chill Innovation CP-700M: Quiet EU Power

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Chill Innovation CP-700M: Quiet EU Power

Post by MikeC » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:46 pm

larsolsen
Patron of SPCR

Post by larsolsen » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:29 am

Seems like a decent product, but 700w is way too much. I also hope they have improved their quality control, as i had many problems with their old 450w model, both noise, heat, and bad insulation which resulted in a fryed motherboard and a nasty schock :evil:

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:28 am

larsolsen wrote:Seems like a decent product, but 700w is way too much. I also hope they have improved their quality control, as i had many problems with their old 450w model, both noise, heat, and bad insulation which resulted in a fryed motherboard and a nasty schock :evil:
They also offer 400, 520 and 1000w versions, as stated in the 4th line of the article.

Im surprised it did so well in the noise testing. With small heatsinks for a high wattage unit, coupled with a less than perfect fan and poor efficiency at low and high loads (with acceptable effiency in the middle), i was expecting this to be a dud.

Have you retested the modu82 and the other high ranking PSU's in the new chamber? Would make for an easier comparison, if you still have the samples lying around.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:34 am

FartingBob wrote:Have you retested the modu82 and the other high ranking PSU's in the new chamber? Would make for an easier comparison, if you still have the samples lying around.
Have you read the last page of the review?

IvRak

Post by IvRak » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:00 am

Even though I don't have much experience with Chill Innovations PSU's, I personally owned a CI CP-350A (which SPCR reviewed in 2003) which ran my main PC, and then my media server for a litlle more than 6 years 24/7, without causing any problems.

It was a very quiet and reliable PSU, but in the end I had to replace it because the fan in it started to crackle and make a lot of noise. The PSU itself still works, if I replaced the fan it could still run the server.

I choose a new higher efficiency Antec PSU to power media server, but would not hesitate to get another CI PSU, if the price was right..

Esben

Post by Esben » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:57 am

I'm currently using a Chill Innovation CP-450A4 in my media center. It works fine, and has improved efficiency over the previous PSU. But since it's 14 months old, I can hear the fan when the computer has been running for some time.