Intel LGA775 Low Profile Heatsink Roundup

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
sonic6k

Post by sonic6k » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:36 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello,
sonic6k wrote:
NeilBlanchard wrote:Hi,

The Scythe Big Shuriken is screaming for a bolt through like the one on the Mugen 2!
I must understand push pins are not good, is it true? Of example I want buy new SCYTHE cooling NINJA 2, but SPCR reviewer said impossible with screws installation of bolt through kit! What do you say is push pins good for application of CPU cooling or must SCYTHE think anew of better installation?
The push pins are probably strong enough for the Big Shuriken, but from what I read in the review, installing them will be very tough because of access. The bolt through used on the Mugen 2 has the threads in the bracket on the front, and the screws come through from the back.
I watch for MUGEN 2 of SCYTHE and pricing is similar to NINJA 2! If true of what you said about bracket for screws installation with MUGEN 2 and because it makes resemblance of NINJA 2, I must buy MUGEN 2 for avoid of push pins without suffering of CPU cooling. Is it true?

meansizzler

Post by meansizzler » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:18 pm

You should add the Silverstone Nt07 775 to this review, looks like a stock intel cooler, but very very quiet....

jOcKeL

Post by jOcKeL » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:49 pm

meansizzler wrote:You should add the Silverstone Nt07 775 to this review, looks like a stock intel cooler, but very very quiet....
I reach 72°C (room: 26,0 @ 1345rpm -> loudness: Mugen 2 @ 800rpm) on a E6700 @ 1,2V. CPU overheat with stock voltage.

@ Mike

Did you read my last post?
I work on a low-profile cooler review too.

But there is a problem, which isn't called in this review. All Intel-Heatsinks are temperature-controlled. In a closed (test)system the fans of theese heatsinks rotate much faster with high load on CPU. Your measured fanspeeds are attainable only under room temperature.

Do you measured fanspeeds and sounds before stressing the CPU?

pcy
-- Vendor --

Post by pcy » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:39 am

eitheta wrote:
pcy wrote:Hi,

Two more coolers to consider:

1. Nexus LOW 7000

Peter

I just built a living-room PC using a Nexus LOW-7000, ten days ago. In a Lian-Li PC-C37B ...

A few trivial observations about the Nexus LOW-7000:

B.) It does fit in this case, but only just. The heads of the little plastic pop-rivets that hold the fan onto the heatsink are only 1mm or so from the underside of the case’s aluminum top-cover.

C.) The position of the fan does not exactly align with the perforated region of the Lian-Li’s top cover. So some 30% of the fan area is just a couple mm from a solid aluminum surface. Quite sub-optimal, for airflow. If the Low-7000 were only 57mm tall (like the Big Shuriken), then there’d be room for air to sneak over and into the fan....
The perforations are the saving grace here. Air does not sneak around a corner though - you need a big pressure differnce to get sugnificant airflow around a sharp angle. Flat plates that impede airflow need to be at least 2" away from the fan in my experience.

The Cooler Manufacturer has a problem - they don't know exactly where in the case the CPU will be nor where any air inlets/outlets might be. Low profile downdraft (or updraft) coolers really need to have movable cooling fins (detachable actually - that would slove the mounting problem) but I don't see how to do that and still achieve good thermal contact between the heat pipes and cooling fins.
D.) The extreme asymmetry of this HSF allows it to overhang above the chipset’s passive heatsink, and blow air onto the northbridge. Air that’s been pre-warmed by the CPU, mind you, but at least it’s moving air. The bottom of the Low-7000’s fin-pack is only ~ 3mm (at the closest point) above the top of the chipset’s HS....
I prefer fans that blow in the opposite direction, with the hot air going straight out of teh case. You still hav moving air over teh motherbaord, and it's cooler...
G.) The mounting scheme is bolt-through... so the Low-7000 must be attached to the mobo BEFORE installing the mobo into the case. Which means that swapping the CPU requires removing the mobo from the case, which turns into quite a project.
I agree, but it's the best solution on offer so far.

Peter

meansizzler

Post by meansizzler » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:11 pm

jOcKeL wrote:
meansizzler wrote:You should add the Silverstone Nt07 775 to this review, looks like a stock intel cooler, but very very quiet....
I reach 72°C (room: 26,0 @ 1345rpm -> loudness: Mugen 2 @ 800rpm) on a E6700 @ 1,2V. CPU overheat with stock voltage.
If you read thebox it would tell you it is for 45nm cpu only, e6700 runs super hot, i had an e6600 with nt06 coolerruns 60+ degrees, with [email protected] runs <55, so what's your point?

Darth Santa Fe

Post by Darth Santa Fe » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:53 am

obtuse alligator wrote:Zerotherm CF900 - 77mm high including the 92mm fan.
I second that suggestion. After reading other reviews, it supposedly cools very well (some say as good as a Zalman 9500) at a very quiet noise level. I've also heard the cheaper, aluminum CF800 cools nearly as well. And they're barely larger than a stock Intel cooler.

wjl

Excellent review

Post by wjl » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:30 pm

As usual, this was very helpful; thanks.

I tried the Big Shuriken on an Asus P5N7A-VM (fits), within an Antec 2480 (fits as well). My temps can be seen at my home page, with the CPU cooler at full speed, and an S-Flex 1200 running managed. Idid this because of the integrated graphics of the chip set (Nvidia 9300), which are nicely cooled by the Big Shuriken as well.

Oh, and the four temp readings on the right are for the four cores of the Intel Q8400.

One thing to consider: in *this* case, with both fans running at full speed, you'll notice some interaction between the two - things get turbulent and noisy then. So for building a HTPC, I would recommend:

1. a smaller CPU, like the Intel E6300, and
2. maybe the normal Shuriken Rev. B

And maybe 2x S-Flex 800 instead of the single 1200 one. I'll try this later.

derekva

Post by derekva » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Mike - quick question - is the listed height of the Big Shuriken (57mm) with or without the slim 120mm fan?

Thanks!

-D

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:46 am

derekva wrote:Mike - quick question - is the listed height of the Big Shuriken (57mm) with or without the slim 120mm fan?

Thanks!

-D
with