It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Luxa2 LM100 Mini: "Exquisite & Desirable" m-IT
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:10 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11955
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Luxa2 LM100 Mini: "Exquisite & Desirable" m-ITX HTPC Case

_________________
Mike Chin, SPCR Editor/Publisher
Support SPCR by buying your gear through these links: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 580
Location: USA (Phoenix, AZ)
I only scanned through this article very quickly. As soon as I saw those 50mm fans I knew it was an instant failure, ignoring the price.

_________________
SilverStone SG05, Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-13 120MM, Seasonic X-460, ASRock Z77E-ITX, Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2, Samsung 30nm 1.35V 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM, PowerColor AX7750, Samsung Series 830 256GB SSD, Win 7 Ultimate x64
Link


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:52 pm
Posts: 68
Location: Baltimore, USA
Maybe the case is better suited to an Atom system. Lower heat, less noise.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:14 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11955
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
atmartens wrote:
Maybe the case is better suited to an Atom system. Lower heat, less noise.

Atom CPUs run cool but not so the chipsets for them. They often need direct air-forced cooling. In short, I don't think the case would be signficantly quieter with an Atom board. Besides, a $270-300 case for an Atom system seems outrageous.

_________________
Mike Chin, SPCR Editor/Publisher
Support SPCR by buying your gear through these links: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:14 pm
Posts: 517
Location: Toronto, Canada
A good review, as usual.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:53 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:11 pm
Posts: 7373
Location: Maynard, MA, Eaarth
Hi Mike,

Was any consideration given to doing something with the third/middle fan grill? Either to block it (and force more air to come in through the bottom grills) or to add a third fan? 50mm fans are hard to come by; let alone quiet ones.

The location of the PSU is completely odd (as you said in the review) -- not only does it put it in an awkward position, it blocks the biggest intake grill.

Thermaltake seems to be their own worst enemy -- they let the styling/marketing department hold sway over the engineering R&D every time...

_________________
Sincerely, Neil
http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:03 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11955
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
NeilBlanchard wrote:
Hi Mike,

Was any consideration given to doing something with the third/middle fan grill? Either to block it (and force more air to come in through the bottom grills) or to add a third fan? 50mm fans are hard to come by; let alone quiet ones.

Not sure whether Larry mentioned it, but that middle vent on the back was blocked to avoid airflow shortcut. It didn't do much good.

_________________
Mike Chin, SPCR Editor/Publisher
Support SPCR by buying your gear through these links: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:45 pm 
Offline
Friend of SPCR

Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 10:37 am
Posts: 279
Spelling mistake on the top of page 4:

Quote:
The procedure was not difficutl, but as with all small cases, some care was needed to ensure good cable management.


And in typical Thermaltake fashion, we once again have an expensive case focusing on form over function.

EDIT: I can't read >.<


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Luxa2 LM100 Mini: "Exquisite & Desirable"
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:36 pm 
Offline
Friend of SPCR

Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:14 am
Posts: 230
Location: Sweden
Fine review, thanks. It seems whatever Thermaltake does, they can't do it right.

_________________
Antec P182, MSI H55-GD65, i3 530@3.5GHZ (w/Nexus 92mm@850 rpm & Minja), 4GB RAM, Samsung HD502HI (suspension w/rubber cords) Geforce 7300GS (w/Zalman ZM80D-HP) PSU Corsair VX450 (w/Noctua NF-S12-1200), System fan Scythe S-Flex 120mm@~550rpm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:58 am
Posts: 198
Location: UK
MikeC wrote:
Besides, a $270-300 case for an Atom system seems outrageous.


If you spend all your money on the case, then maybe you could only afford an Atom system to put in it lol.

Such a waste of money since this case still looks a lot like a computer. With a DVD drive installed it would look even worse. And that display on the front is junk. It looks terrible -- you will never find somthing like that on premium audio gear.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:26 am
Posts: 177
Location: Germany
DAve_M wrote:
Such a waste of money since this case still looks a lot like a computer. With a DVD drive installed it would look even worse. And that display on the front is junk. It looks terrible -- you will never find somthing like that on premium audio gear.


Well, you could rip out that front and replace it with something perforated (needs a PicoPSU, obviously), and put a quiet fan behind it... After paying $300 :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 9:47 pm
Posts: 44
Location: San Jose, CA, US
Quote:
a finer looking HTPC you will not find

OrigenAE m10 mini-ITX is also very good looking (as well as their larger cases).
http://www.origenae.co.kr/en/htpc_m10.htm
It should have better ventilation.
But, probably it's not available in US yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:11 am
Posts: 20
Image

Would this be an issue with a SATA optical drive?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:06 pm 
Offline
Patron of SPCR

Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:02 pm
Posts: 749
Quote:
The case sample we received was equipped with two 50 mm fans — one of them sounded fairly smooth and broadband, while the other had some tonality, a bit of whine, and developed a 'wobble' at higher fan speeds. It may have been damaged during transport, but the other fan wasn't afflicted, so quality control is likely the issue.

Is this a fair conclusion? If 20 DVD players are dropped from a certain height, maybe 10 will have broken, and the other 10 won't have. Some chance comes into play when damage is inflicted, it's a step to say this is due to quality control.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:13 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11955
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
spookmineer wrote:
Quote:
The case sample we received was equipped with two 50 mm fans — one of them sounded fairly smooth and broadband, while the other had some tonality, a bit of whine, and developed a 'wobble' at higher fan speeds. It may have been damaged during transport, but the other fan wasn't afflicted, so quality control is likely the issue.

Is this a fair conclusion? If 20 DVD players are dropped from a certain height, maybe 10 will have broken, and the other 10 won't have. Some chance comes into play when damage is inflicted, it's a step to say this is due to quality control.

You could be right. But even if neither fan was undamaged, the case would sound noisy. And cool poorly. So it's kind of a moot point.

_________________
Mike Chin, SPCR Editor/Publisher
Support SPCR by buying your gear through these links: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:53 pm
Posts: 74
Location: United States
The one really interesting bit is how they managed to route the PSU hookup from the front of the case to the back. If those adapters could be used in, say, the Sugo cases you could put an ATX in the front fan spot. That would free up room for both taller CPU heatsinks and exhaust fans.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 2:57 pm
Posts: 507
Location: England
Mr. Perfect wrote:
The one really interesting bit is how they managed to route the PSU hookup from the front of the case to the back. If those adapters could be used in, say, the Sugo cases you could put an ATX in the front fan spot. That would free up room for both taller CPU heatsinks and exhaust fans.


What's so special about it? You can make one of those very easily. Although, if you find a good supplier of C13s which aren't nasty, I'll be impressed. And interested.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:53 pm
Posts: 74
Location: United States
Sure, you could probably make something like that with a socket from an old PSU and a spare cable, but how do you do it without it looking like it came from ThereIFixedIt.com? :?

Purpose made ones would be so much nicer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:18 pm
Posts: 404
Location: Illinois, USA
Mr. Perfect wrote:
The one really interesting bit is how they managed to route the PSU hookup from the front of the case to the back. If those adapters could be used in, say, the Sugo cases you could put an ATX in the front fan spot. That would free up room for both taller CPU heatsinks and exhaust fans.


The Athenatech A1089 does exactly this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 2:57 pm
Posts: 507
Location: England
Mr. Perfect wrote:
Sure, you could probably make something like that with a socket from an old PSU and a spare cable, but how do you do it without it looking like it came from ThereIFixedIt.com? :?


Uuuhhh, by buying quality parts and not assembling them poorly? All you need is a C14 panel plug, a C13 line socket, and suitable cable. It's.. really quite simple. Moulded != good.

Quote:
Purpose made ones would be so much nicer.


Yes, because a fixed length cable of an 'average' size is a perfect fit in any case. Custom cabling > generic cabling. Every time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 2:33 am
Posts: 124
Location: Australia
I think users of this case can do better to use and duct 8+cm cpu coolers to the exhaust.

_________________
Hungry? How about a TRIPLE FAN SANDWICH?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:18 pm 
Offline
Patron of SPCR

Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:02 pm
Posts: 749
MikeC wrote:
You could be right. But even if neither fan was undamaged, the case would sound noisy. And cool poorly. So it's kind of a moot point.

This case most probably won't be bought by any SPCR user because of the (measurable) noise, but you can't conclude that there is poor quality control based on 1 of 2 fans showing some inadequacies.
It is giving a bad name to a brand without proper proof.

Sorry if this sounds too finicky :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:24 am
Posts: 108
Location: tromsø in norway
A nice case beeing ruined by crappy 5cm fans..... as i can se a 12cm fan ventilating trough the top would solve all problems?


regarding the zotac board, u need to check if the heatsink is a good fit, I had really high temps, freez and crashes. figured i should change the thermal pase. then i noticed that the rubber square at the bottom og the sink was building to high, so i removed it ad temps droped arround 20 celsius


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group