Inwin Maelstrom: An Affordable Gaming Case

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
jvanlaven

Re: I like it (for reasons other than the looks)

Post by jvanlaven » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:54 pm

MikeC wrote: ...
Couple of simple solutions for the side fan --

1) if your CPU coolers conflict, mount the fan on the outside, blowing in.
2) use shorter top-down coolers

Larry or I will check clearance when we have a chance.
Thanks. Looking at the design it does look like the side fan configuration is very flexible so it probably isn't that big a deal in this case. In the Enermax case I had problems with that was not the case.

I terms of using a top down cooler the problem is that the latest Intel socket 1366 server boards have integrated backplates. i.e. mounting options are severely reduced. The coolers normally sold for servers have small very loud fans or are low profile fanless heatsinks designed for ducted 1U cases with small very loud fans. I have found that certain large tower coolers have a mounting system compatible with these boards. I'll keep looking for good coolers though.

Thanks,
-- Joel

Invisiblemoose

Post by Invisiblemoose » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:14 am

novachord wrote: ah yes, an attempt to belittle me by focusing on a minutia of my writing...a clear indication of the competitive dogma instilled on your psyche by capitalism and the resulting unending void in your desires left by the battle between your nihilistic tendencies and your natural consumerist desires. tell me, how much more unrewarded flexing of your "wit" will it take to make you feel whole?
...Ah, you must be trolling.

I love this case! The green handles are so adorably amusing!

...that's what I'd like to say, because normally I have a special place in my heart for horribly gaudy cases... but this one teeters in some sort of limbo between stylish and hideous and so manages to displease in both areas...

Edit: Oh, and I enjoyed the review as usual. Very fun.

Avalanche

Handles

Post by Avalanche » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:13 am

Case reviews are my favorite kind of reviews. I appreciated reading it, thanks Lawrence. I would give this case a pass on appearance, if the handles (its most apparent feature) were functional! They are just begging to get tugged on.

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Handles

Post by Lawrence Lee » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:51 am

Avalanche wrote:Case reviews are my favorite kind of reviews. I appreciated reading it, thanks Lawrence. I would give this case a pass on appearance, if the handles (its most apparent feature) were functional! They are just begging to get tugged on.
You're most welcome. I actually used the handles for the first 20 minutes or so... didn't notice the warning label until I tried to figure out how to take the front bezel off. :oops:

Wayne Redpath

Post by Wayne Redpath » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:01 pm

"All the front covers can be removed for dust cleanup"

So, depending on what fans are powered up, you might be cleaning the dust bunnies from the inside of the 'dust filters'???