Prolimatech Armageddon & Coolermaster V8 CPU Coolers

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Prolimatech Armageddon & Coolermaster V8 CPU Coolers

Post by MikeC » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:20 pm

ces

Post by ces » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:24 pm

Some people have problems with conflicts between their coolers and tall memory. Seem to me that this cooler probably solves that problem.

Other than that, why would someone buy the Prolimatech Armageddon instead of the Prolimatech Megahalems?

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:39 pm

ces wrote:Other than that, why would someone buy the Prolimatech Armageddon instead of the Prolimatech Megahalems?
About the only other reason I could think of is because the Armageddon is compatible with 140mm fans, which could potentially provide higher airflow than a 120mm fan at similar voltages.

On that note, I would be interested in seeing how this cooler performs with single and dual 1,000rpm Yate Loon 140mm fans (or even just dual Nexus 120mm's, if a second mount could be jury-rigged).

Thanks for the review MikeC and Lawrence!

ces

Post by ces » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:44 pm

ces wrote:About the only other reason I could think of is because the Armageddon is compatible with 140mm fans, which could potentially provide higher airflow than a 120mm fan at similar voltages.!
But the only reason is to cool. If the 120mm fan cooler cools better then the 140mm fan cooler - well what good is the 140mm fan? Especially if in some cases it might cause some fitting problems.
Last edited by ces on Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

psyopper
Friend of SPCR

Post by psyopper » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:06 pm

ces wrote:But the only reason is to cool. If the 120mm fan cooler cools better then the 140mm fan cooler - well what good is the 140mm fan? Especially if in some cases it might cause some fitting problems.
As pointed out, the Armageddon is significantly thinner than the Megahalems - it is far less likely to overhang/interfere with memory slots.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:03 am

Hi Lawrence Lee, good review as usual.

Just one thing : I think the Coolermaster V8 stock fan at 1m recordings are backwards (page 10). You wrote 12dBA at 12V.... That would be really nice :) ! and 31dBA at 6V... I think that would be the worst fan ever tested by SPCR !
Unless I'm not awake yet and my brain is playing tricks one me !

ces

Post by ces » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:05 am

psyopper wrote:As pointed out, the Armageddon is significantly thinner than the Megahalems - it is far less likely to overhang/interfere with memory slots.
Agreed. That was my point actually. But other than that, if you don't have that particular problem, I have trouble seeing the benefit of the new cooler.

The Megahalens cooler appears to be a better performer. And the extra width of the new cooler might cause some problems in certain cases or configurations.

On the other hand, if you want both tall memory cards and a supercooler, the Armageddon might be the only option on the market. Or if you have one or two extra 140mm fans you want to put to use.

Just my point of view, and I may be missing something. That is why I put this question out here. Why else would you choose the Armageddon over the Megahalems?

DAve_M

Post by DAve_M » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:15 am

ces wrote:Just my point of view, and I may be missing something. That is why I put this question out here. Why else would you choose the Armageddon over the Megahalems?
Maybe cause the Megahalems are not in stock or available in your country. Maybe because you think 140mm is better than 120mm.

ces

Post by ces » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:20 am

DAve_M wrote:Maybe cause the Megahalems are not in stock or available in your country.
That is valid. I was assuming that if one Prolimatch was available the other would be.
DAve_M wrote: Maybe because you think 140mm is better than 120mm.
That I object to. The fans are a means to an end. The cooling is the measure of better - unless you are talking about noise. But I am unaware of any 140mm fans that is not at least as loud as its 120mm siblings.

CFM isn't the goal, big isn't the goal, cooling is the goal.

psyopper
Friend of SPCR

Post by psyopper » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:57 am

ces wrote:
DAve_M wrote:Maybe cause the Megahalems are not in stock or available in your country.
That is valid. I was assuming that if one Prolimatch was available the other would be.
Yes you obviously were making an unfounded assumption. Further, asking this question is really inane as are your 1000+ posts in two months.

It's like asking why someone would buy a Porsche Cayman if there is already a Boxter parked next to it. Why on earth would someone purchase a coupe if there is a convertable available. Because it fills a need.

Oh, and could you please not question your own answers as being non-credible?

DAve_M

Post by DAve_M » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:57 am

ces, you are making something more complicated than it is. Another reason to buy it over the Megahalems is because it is more expensive. To some people, that is a good enough reason.

ces

Post by ces » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:55 am

psyopper

I apologize for the sharp retort. Your probably right about the postings. I probably have better things to do. maybe I should go do them. :)
Last edited by ces on Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:08 am

ces & psyopper -- settle down. no more warnings, the next step is a ban.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:57 pm

Thanks again for excellent review. I hate the fact Prolimatech is continues to supply Intel brackets only with their heatsinks. Perhaps its more efficient to do such thing and sell AM2 separately. However new phenom's are quite popular these days and in here Finland, getting Prolimatech cooler is simple as many retailers sell them, but getting prolimatech AM2 kit is like asking to get Moon from the sky.

I really wish Prolimatech would include kit for AMD users too. It would only be fair and help their cooler's selling in future some backwater countries like Finland, in where I happened to live. Maybe in future :D