GELID Icy Vision Dual Fan VGA Cooler

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Re: GELID Icy Vision Dual Fan VGA Cooler

Post by SebRad » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:11 am

Hi rpsgc, I have a pair of Arctic Cooling F9 PWM fans on my GTX260 and love them. They're pretty cheap (although not quite as available as used to be but still ~£5 each) and work great for me, must have had them quite a while now too. Both hooked up to the header on the card so the fan speed is controlled by the cards BIOS, unless over-ridden with software, but either way controlled from ~625rpm at 25% to ~1800rpm flat out.
Regards, Seb

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:32 am

Just got a reply from Gelid support. They are sending me some replacement fans, free of charge :)

+1 for Gelid. Great support, right up there with Crucial, Corsair and Logitech.

Maybe now I can finally enjoy my Sandy Bridge upgrade in peace and quiet ;)

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:24 am

I've replaced the fans with the new ones.

Old ones @ min speed: 1200rpm
New ones @ min speed: 1050~1100rpm (maybe I didn't seat them properly?)

The problem (noise) seems to be gone but I don't want to jinx it :|

Byrd910

Post by Byrd910 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:55 am

I'd like to post my experience with this cooler.

I've mounted it on an HIS 6870 using Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste (using the rubber glove spread method), with heatsinks on the RAM and individual heatsinks on the VRAM (the single long VRM heatsink does NOT fit on the 6870).

I have 6 fans in my case (6 120mm Cougars in a Coolermaster HAF 912), so I have a fan speed controller, and I just hooked up the Icy Vision to that. I keep all the fans at 50% all the time, including the Icy Vision, and I have never seen temperatures higher than 59 Celsius while gaming (even when playing BF3 on Ultra for 3 hours at a time). Furmark for 30 minutes got the card up to 67 celsius, which is still considerably cooler than the card would get while gaming with the stock cooler. Also, the Icy Vision is pretty dang quiet at 50%.

Just for fun, during a session of TF2 I completely turned off the Icy Vision fans (leaving case fans at 50%). I'm using dual monitors so I can monitor temps while in game easily. For the duration of an entire round (and everything in game is turned as high as it can go), approximately 20 minutes, the card got to 66 celsius with fans turned entirely OFF. It made me feel quite a bit better about my fan speed controller somehow failing while I'm out of the house or asleep for the night. 66 while playing TF2 on ultra without fans? NICE.

Overall I'm extremely happy with this cooler. I'd highly recommend.