HDPLEX H10 Fanless microATX Case

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

HDPLEX H10 Fanless microATX Case

Post by Lawrence Lee » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:39 pm

NeilBlanchard

Re: HDPLEX H10 Fanless microATX Case

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:31 am

I skimmed the review, so I may have missed the answer to this, but -- is there an option to use heatpipes to cool a high powered video card using the left side heatsink?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:12 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:I skimmed the review, so I may have missed the answer to this, but -- is there an option to use heatpipes to cool a high powered video card using the left side heatsink?
afaik, no. I don't think any high power vga card -- say 150W tdp or maybe even 125W -- could be cooled this way. Perhaps a 100w card -- but that's not high powered by current standards.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:38 am

Thanks for the review. I like the way the case looks, but I'm not sure how functional it will be. It is rack sized...but does it have rack mounting? Or is it meant to sit on a rack shelf?

Unless it's the top item on a rack or shelf:
- (As pointed out) the power button/led indicator will be obscured.
- temps will be higher than shown. Especially if put in media center furniture with a door.

Imelon

Post by Imelon » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:37 pm

Such a nice and flat case :) Is it just me, or does it actually look like one could fit a full size atx board inside?

Or would that board collide with the power brick...?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:56 pm

Imelon wrote:Such a nice and flat case :) Is it just me, or does it actually look like one could fit a full size atx board inside? Or would that board collide with the power brick...?
Probably. The power brick could just be moved outside anyway.

Johnsy

Post by Johnsy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:25 pm

The caption beneath the first photo on page 2 reads:

Like most fanless cases, a series of aluminum fins stick out at the sides to dissipate heat. They are 5.0 cm thick at the base and 3.1 cm at the tip.

I think that should be 0.5cm and 0.31cm

Erelyes

Post by Erelyes » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:18 pm

Johnsy wrote:The caption beneath the first photo on page 2 reads:

Like most fanless cases, a series of aluminum fins stick out at the sides to dissipate heat. They are 5.0 cm thick at the base and 3.1 cm at the tip.

Or rather mm, rather than cm.

Johnsy

Post by Johnsy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:00 pm

Erelyes wrote:
Johnsy wrote:The caption beneath the first photo on page 2 reads:

Or rather mm, rather than cm.
Quite so. Thank you.

Enzo_FX

Post by Enzo_FX » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:04 pm

Love the noiseless design. I want something like this for mini-ITX minus an Optical DiscDrive, nope, not even a slim disc drive!

I love mini-itx, I don't see the real need for micro-ATX anymore (aside from an ATX replacement). Furthermore, the more I think about cases for mini-ITX, the more I feel like they should really fall into 2 categories:
A. Big enough to house a good sized video card for gaming, which implies a Full sized PSU, and might as well fit in a few HDD's. The way manufacturers could differentiate is by the number of drives more than anything, as well a in efficiency of design/build quality,etc. This is sort of the gaming/server section of the market.
B. Small enough to fit just the board, and a HDD or two (2.5"), with a power brick PSU. This would be for client-type uses.

Anything in-between to me feels like a stopgap to one or the other (not unlike this case reviewed here), and still a lot of room for innovation. Furthermore, I completely miss the point of mini-ITX builds/cases that use a full-sized 5.25" Disc Drives. It's like saying, I want a tiny system, tiny board, tiny HDD/SSD. Oh and as for an optical drive, get me the biggest one available!

Edit: They also have an H3.S which is what I'd go for =)
http://www.hd-plex.com/H3.S.html
Though I still think they could have gone a tad smaller =P.

Mescalero

Post by Mescalero » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:08 am

MikeC wrote:
NeilBlanchard wrote:I skimmed the review, so I may have missed the answer to this, but -- is there an option to use heatpipes to cool a high powered video card using the left side heatsink?
afaik, no. I don't think any high power vga card -- say 150W tdp or maybe even 125W -- could be cooled this way. Perhaps a 100w card -- but that's not high powered by current standards.
So you think, I could fit a Core i7 Sandy Bridge (95W) and a passive VGA card of the kind of a 5770 (108W) into this and use it purely fanless?

That would be crazy good! :-)

Edit: Stupid thought, PSU is limited to 150W.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:19 am

Mescalero wrote:So you think, I could fit a Core i7 Sandy Bridge (95W) and a passive VGA card of the kind of a 5770 (108W) into this and use it purely fanless?

That would be crazy good! :-)

Edit: Stupid thought, PSU is limited to 150W.
Probably, if you took advantage of all the cooling surfaces available in the case, but you'd be on your own to fabricate or mod a heatpipe interface to the GPU. Just don't run thermal stress tests, and be prepared to run a house fan over the machine if you game in hot weather. :lol:

Naturally, you would have to run it all off an external PSU -- I'd use something like a Seasonc X400, with custom length cables if necessary.

On the other hand, if you approached HDPLEX with this idea as a custom product you're willing to pay for, they might just take you up on it, as there's probably a market, even if small, of people who'd pay big enough bucks for something like this.

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:33 am

Not directly related to the review, but am I the only one who sees an issue with their 80W PSU from this picture?

E: And this one:

signal64

Post by signal64 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:36 am

Not too sure on what your seeing.. thought maybe ATX power might be a tad short.
The 4pin CPU power would need an extension on my boards.
No SATA power plugs and you would need one that wasn't angled based on where the SSD is in that photo (or mount the drive upside down I guess).

I have a few P5N7A-VM's and would love to put one in one of these cases.

It's listed as compatible on their website for the H10 but I know from experience that it needs some air flow on the chipset HS (however slight) when the board is running horizontal.
Wonder how this was tested out.

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:17 am

The fact that there's no earth connection. The PSU's earth pin is connected to the chassis but nothing earths the chassis. Being an open frame PSU, that's an invitation for a 230V surprise when you go to turn the system on.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:00 am

Monkeh16 wrote:The fact that there's no earth connection. The PSU's earth pin is connected to the chassis but nothing earths the chassis. Being an open frame PSU, that's an invitation for a 230V surprise when you go to turn the system on.
Most open frame PSUs use a mounting bolt/screw for this.

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:00 am

MikeC wrote:
Monkeh16 wrote:The fact that there's no earth connection. The PSU's earth pin is connected to the chassis but nothing earths the chassis. Being an open frame PSU, that's an invitation for a 230V surprise when you go to turn the system on.
Most open frame PSUs use a mounting bolt/screw for this.
Take a closer look at the picture. There's a cable from the earth pin on the PSU (the PSU, not the power connector) to the chassis. There's no cable from the earth pin on the C14 inlet to the PSU or chassis..

mark314
Friend of SPCR

Post by mark314 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:56 am

Monkeh16 wrote:There's no cable from the earth pin on the C14 inlet to the PSU or chassis..
You're right, there isn't. The earth pin just isn't connected at all, and the plug connector is plastic. That's in contrast to, say, the Antec AR-350 SFF which has a grounded metal plug connector, or the picoPSU.

MikeC, does the H10 have any certification marks?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:28 pm

mark314 wrote:MikeC, does the H10 have any certification marks?
No. Cases don't have them unless the PSU is integral.

I doubt this is an issue tho. Surely HDPLEX would test the psu w/ the case to ensure compatibility & usability before selling them together. They don't make the psu, it's just one they selected.

I think they might be sending me a 3 or 5 chassis sample, and maybe this psu will be in there.

mark314
Friend of SPCR

Post by mark314 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:39 pm

Makes sense. I am a bit concerned though - take a look at their PSU page: http://www.hd-plex.com/power-supply/ The top photo is what looks like an unbranded picoPSU. See http://www.mini-box.com/site/mini-box-c ... alert.html

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:24 pm

MikeC wrote:
mark314 wrote:MikeC, does the H10 have any certification marks?
No. Cases don't have them unless the PSU is integral.

I doubt this is an issue tho. Surely HDPLEX would test the psu w/ the case to ensure compatibility & usability before selling them together.
If they sell the PSU as it's shown on their site, it's an unsafe product to use in any case. I'm hoping someone picked up on it after those pictures were taken.

sgtpokey
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sgtpokey » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:24 pm

thanks for the review SPCR, as a user of HFX fanless cases for 5+ years, I've been looking forward to seeing the HD plex series.

HOWEVER, as an HTPC enthusiast and with experience with the HFX cases, I don't agree with the "improvement" suggestions you noted.

the only real issue I have with the H10, and I've already shared with Larry, is I'd rather have a taller case that can support multiple PCI/PCIe card slots instead of forced to use risers and only have access to 1 or 2 slots. A taller case also would allow for better hard drive placement, including possibilities to mount 2.5" drives in a variety of ways. Fortunately, HDPlex has plans in that regard (taller case) already.

Regarding the comment about the internal mount for the power brick, I actually think that is great for living room HTPCs and count that as an advantage over HFX's designs. For a living room HTPC, I want small, quiet, unobtrusive, stylish, etc. An external power brick would just be one more thing you would need to hide...

hdplex
-- Vendor --

Post by hdplex » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:15 pm

Monkeh16 wrote:Not directly related to the review, but am I the only one who sees an issue with their 80W PSU from this picture?
The C14-5PIN molex cable has a ground cable from C14/IEC connector which needs to screw attach to the chassis bottom plate for grounding.
The C14 connector will also has rubber wrap to protect the +/- input.

The cable on the picture is supplied by Magic Power, it was supplied in a hurry. They forget to connect the ground PIN from IEC/C14 to the 5PIN molex.
So the picture only show the ground cable from 5PIN Molex which plug on the 80W open frame.

Thanks for pointing this out. I will change the picture when the batch cable order arrives.
For 150W DC-DC converter, I tested them for over a year which quality is solid.
Also, to match the FSP 150W adapter, 4PIN mini-DIN connector is used instead of the cheap 5.5/2.5mm single PIN connector as seen on all PicoPSU.
FSP use 4PIN mini-DIN on their >135W adapter.

Last, FSP, a reputable PSU supplier with rev>500m, also offer DC-DC converter. mini-box could say all the DC-DC converter are counterfeit, but I guess that is another topic.

Disclaimer: I resell 160XT from mini-box.com. Difference is that I add 4PIN mini-DIN connector and 5VSB for the IR on the 160XT.
Last edited by hdplex on Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

hdplex
-- Vendor --

Post by hdplex » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:17 pm

sgtpokey wrote: Regarding the comment about the internal mount for the power brick, I actually think that is great for living room HTPCs and count that as an advantage over HFX's designs. For a living room HTPC, I want small, quiet, unobtrusive, stylish, etc. An external power brick would just be one more thing you would need to hide...
I do think external adapter is ugly. Apple's new Mac mini also use internal PSU.

Sadly, most mini-ITX case rely on external adapter with cheap 5.5/2.5mm single PIN connector.

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:34 pm

hdplex wrote:
Monkeh16 wrote:Not directly related to the review, but am I the only one who sees an issue with their 80W PSU from this picture?
The C14-5PIN molex cable has a ground cable from C14/IEC connector which needs to screw attach to the chassis bottom plate for grounding.
The C14 connector will also has rubber wrap to protect the +/- input.

The cable on the picture is supplied by Magic Power, it was supplied in a hurry. They forget to connect the ground PIN from IEC/C14 to the 5PIN molex.
So the picture only show the ground cable from 5PIN Molex which plug on the 80W open frame.

Thanks for pointing this out. I will change the picture when the batch cable order arrives.
Thanks for clarifying that, I was somewhat concerned that they may be shipping with no earthing.

hdplex
-- Vendor --

Post by hdplex » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:03 am

Here is the picture of the cable with ground PIN.

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:18 am

Now do I start grumbling about the inappropriate colour coding or not.. :)