Asus P8H67-I Deluxe Mini-ITX Motherboard

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Asus P8H67-I Deluxe Mini-ITX Motherboard

Post by Lawrence Lee » Tue May 17, 2011 9:37 pm

ces

Re: Asus P8H67-I Deluxe Mini-ITX Motherboard

Post by ces » Wed May 18, 2011 4:02 am

Does that Scythe Big Shuriken not interfere with the memory?

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Wed May 18, 2011 10:20 am

Looks like a winner, now to hope the non-deluxe comes out soon, because that's definitely my pick.
I like the fact this board actually supplies proper cpu voltage and has good bios functionality. Unless Zotac improves their bios and the weird board quirks such as voltage, they're always going to be a second tier maker.

awolfe63

Post by awolfe63 » Wed May 18, 2011 1:19 pm

Why do different motherboards provide different CPU voltages to the same CPU chip. I thought that in the i5 generation, the CPU specified the voltage it wants over the VID pins. There could be some error on individual motherboards - but why 20%. Is this test repeatable? Is it possible that the test conditions were just different in each case and the results are random?

"Processor core power supply. The voltage supplied to these pins is determined by the VID pins." [Core i5 spec.]

sgtpokey
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sgtpokey » Thu May 19, 2011 10:13 am

Question:
Was wireless n tested on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands? Also, do you happen to know if the atheros chipset used supports the 450mbps theoretical rate of the newest 80211n implementations? For the latter question I'm guessing no since I believe you need 3 antenae for that "standard".

Good review, and I'm always evaluating whether or not I'lll change my home HTPC ecosystem, in which the wireless performance on the 5ghz band plays a part...

I do wish it had more than 4 sata internal ports however. My main HTPC uses 5, including the blu-ray drive. I originally used an external enclosure for my storage but reverted back to an all-in-one-box solution since aesthetically it was cleaner.
Last edited by sgtpokey on Thu May 19, 2011 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

dragonfire

Post by dragonfire » Thu May 19, 2011 10:14 am

Thanks so much for the review! Great work as always! I particularly appreciate the detailed comments regarding the Fan Control capabilities.

I'm starting to consider building an ITX HTPC, and was hoping to use the low voltage i3-2100T (35W TDP). Wonder how that will affect the power consumption of a board like this one?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu May 19, 2011 10:38 am

dragonfire wrote:Thanks so much for the review! Great work as always! I particularly appreciate the detailed comments regarding the Fan Control capabilities.

I'm starting to consider building an ITX HTPC, and was hoping to use the low voltage i3-2100T (35W TDP). Wonder how that will affect the power consumption of a board like this one?
At idle, hardly or none at all. At load, it would be lower.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Thu May 19, 2011 11:22 am

Interesting quote from the review:

"Oddly, the tabs on the fan headers were a bit wider than standard requiring more force to plug in. We tried several different fan models and none of them fit the way they should."

I noticed the exact same situation exists on the Asus Sabertooth P67 motherboard.

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Fri May 20, 2011 3:54 pm

ces wrote:Does that Scythe Big Shuriken not interfere with the memory?
No problem with the memory, but interferes with PCI-E slot.
awolfe63 wrote:Why do different motherboards provide different CPU voltages to the same CPU chip. I thought that in the i5 generation, the CPU specified the voltage it wants over the VID pins. There could be some error on individual motherboards - but why 20%. Is this test repeatable? Is it possible that the test conditions were just different in each case and the results are random?
Not sure, but both the H55 and H67 Zotac boards have given our test CPUs a bit more juice than other models.
sgtpokey wrote: Was wireless n tested on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands? Also, do you happen to know if the atheros chipset used supports the 450mbps theoretical rate of the newest 80211n implementations? For the latter question I'm guessing no since I believe you need 3 antenae for that "standard".
2.4ghz I think. I have no idea if it supports 450mbps. Try googling the model number. There's a screenshot of the device manager listing on the test methodology page.
sgtpokey wrote:I do wish it had more than 4 sata internal ports however. My main HTPC uses 5, including the blu-ray drive.
Do you use eSATA? If you don't, you can convert the eSATA port at the back with an adapter cable and route it back inside. That would give you 5.

jmqnick

Post by jmqnick » Thu May 26, 2011 11:01 am

MikeC would be interesting to give us four details about how to make P8H67 undervolt in Asus, I have one, and really I'm a little confused about it.

By the way, great job as always, you are the benchmark in pcs silent and low consumption. You have made us addicts of noise and low power consumption.

I forgot, the other day install speedfan with little faith, thinking that it would not be able to regulate the P8H67 M EVO and if it worked, but the rpm up and down was a bit wrong.

slownumb

Post by slownumb » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:52 pm

Hi,

sorry for digging out a thread month old.

Did you achieve these 13 seconds boot to windows with a WD 5400rpm HD that was listed on specs???
How would that be using a now-low-end SSD (Intel X25-M 80gb)?

I am considering building a CarPC (if you`re not familiar with the term, it is like a HTPC installed in-dash of a car) so boot times matters ALOT. Usually I will use hibernation/sleep/hybrid sleep to boot.
Another thing that matters is power consumption but seems to me that this boards alongside a low-TDP CPU like the previous poster said (2100-T) would be nice.

BTW, nice review, thank you very much!

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:07 am

slownumb wrote: Did you achieve these 13 seconds boot to windows with a WD 5400rpm HD that was listed on specs???
How would that be using a now-low-end SSD (Intel X25-M 80gb)?
Boot time is measured from startup to when the loading windows screen comes on, not total boot time to the desktop. We do it this way to remove the drive from the equation. Here are some SSD boot times: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1187-page4.html. These are measured the opposite way, so add 13 seconds for the total time.
Another thing that matters is power consumption but seems to me that this boards alongside a low-TDP CPU like the previous poster said (2100-T) would be nice.
Not possible at this time. We reviewed the 2100T here: http://www.silentpcreview.com/intel-2100t-2400s. Compare the numbers to the 2400/2500 here: http://www.silentpcreview.com/Sandybridge_CPUs. Add/subtract to get a rough estimate.

urich

Post by urich » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:22 am

does the asus have support for 3d content is the hdmi 1.4 or 1.3?
The zotac board has support for 3d but i could not find the same for the asus