Swiftech Polaris 120 CPU Heatsink

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Swiftech Polaris 120 CPU Heatsink

Post by Lawrence Lee » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:32 pm

RemoteControlAxe

Re: Swiftech Polaris 120 CPU Heatsink

Post by RemoteControlAxe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:08 am

I know some other heatsinks block off the sides, but I can only remember 1 off the top of my head: the Noctua U12P. And I mostly remember that because I have one. Even then, it doesn't completely block off the sides like the Swiftech, only blocking about the middle half of it (i.e. 25%->75%).
This can be seen in the pics on the SPCR review for it:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article850-page2.html

Looking more at the pics of the Swiftech, it seems because of the curves on the front sides, this trait even blocks some of the air from leaving forwards. I wonder if it would do better without the front curves blocking air going out, because I'd imagine it then sends that air back toward the middle of the width heatsink, forcing the air to compete for what gets out.

fumino

Post by fumino » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:27 am

disappointing. they're recognized as one of the best waterblock makers out there, but i guess that just doesn't translate.

kinda wonder how it'd fair with a GT, the added pressure might be just what this thing needs.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:02 pm

Its a reasonable product from an ex-"superb heatsink" maker who are trying to re-enter the fray.

My suggestions would be to remove a heatpipe totally, reduce the depth of the heatsink, stagger the heatpipes further, and increase the spacing of the fins (would mean a reduction in the number of fins).

Its close, but not quite there, too much restriction on the airflow requiring higher pressure - too high to be used as a quiet heatsink.

Andy

fumino

Post by fumino » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:47 pm

was just looking at pics of the Gelid Tranquillo. that cooler has the folded down sides as well... it doesnt have the hole through the center, but the twoo heatsink seem kinda similar.