Paradigm Millenia HT Speaker System

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Paradigm Millenia HT Speaker System

Post by MikeC » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:03 pm

Falkon

Re: Paradigm Millenia HT Speaker System

Post by Falkon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:49 pm

I've had the opportunity to listen to the Paradigm Millenia several times, and I think that overall they sound fantastic considering their size and price.

The MilleniaOne satellites are very detailed and precise, although of course are somewhat lacking in the low-mid/high-bass regions. The subwoofer does a fine job considering it's size, but the price really can't be justified unless space is at an equally high premium in your listening area. For about 30-40% less and 3-4x the physical volume you could get something with a lot more punch and power.

Something like the Focal Dome system does edge out ahead of this one in just about every regard, but it has the price tag to match at around 3,200 CAD.

cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:45 am

I don't really count that sub as a subwoofer (doesn't go low enough for real impact), they should've loaned you their SUB2's. LOL.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:17 am

cyberspyder wrote:I don't really count that sub as a subwoofer (doesn't go low enough for real impact), they should've loaned you their SUB2's. LOL.
Not low enough? I beg to differ. Paradigm's own spec is -3dB at 21Hz in a real room. My testing showed it has real output down to well below 30Hz, to a fairly high level. The impact -- when there is real input down that low -- is easily felt.

diablo

Post by diablo » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:02 pm

Falkon wrote:Something like the Focal Dome system does edge out ahead of this one in just about every regard, but it has the price tag to match at around 3,200 CAD.
Could you tell me more about why you think the Focal Dome is better? Here in the US the systems are about the same price ($2600), if you get the Paradigm Millenia sub that matches the 5.0 system. I have been doing a lot of research and have basically narrowed it down to either the Focal Dome 5.1 or Millenia One + Sub, so any comparison you could give between the two systems would be awesome. According to these charts, the Paradigm system actually has a more even frequency response:

Focal Dome:

Paradigm Millenia One:

Thanks!

cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:44 am

Then why do their own SUB 2 go down to 7Hz? Yeah, 20Hz may be the threshold of hearing but you can definitely feel bass below that. I understand that there needs to be tradeoffs regarding the WAF (the SUB 2 just dominates the living room), but the cutoff at 21Hz just isn't that ideal, compared to the 16Hz cutoff of say a HSU ULS15.

LFE effects don't just cut off at 30Hz for the record.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:14 am

cyberspyder wrote:Then why do their own SUB 2 go down to 7Hz? Yeah, 20Hz may be the threshold of hearing but you can definitely feel bass below that. I understand that there needs to be tradeoffs regarding the WAF (the SUB 2 just dominates the living room), but the cutoff at 21Hz just isn't that ideal, compared to the 16Hz cutoff of say a HSU ULS15.

LFE effects don't just cut off at 30Hz for the record.
Different strokes...

I have no need or desire for any speaker w/ response down to 7 Hz, no matter that the earthquake sound effects from whatever blockbuster movie has signal down there. I assure you it would not improve the movie one iota for me to hear that. That & your own desire to hear it are both opinions, naturally.... Still, if all other aspects of performance are equal, then greater bass extension means a better speaker, but to say the MilleniaSub is not a sub because it goes to 21 Hz "only" at -3 dB is an overstatement. It doesn't just provide the bass, the quality of its bass --transient response, particular -- and its xover functions, controls, etc is excellent.

Obviously, the $1400 price tag is steep; there are many subs that can provide lower & louder bass... but nothing anywhere near that size can match it.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:07 pm

These look pretty nice for the money.

MikeC, what do you think of the DAC1? I was surprised to see it in your equipment list.

Falkon

Post by Falkon » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:14 pm

diablo wrote:
Falkon wrote:Something like the Focal Dome system does edge out ahead of this one in just about every regard, but it has the price tag to match at around 3,200 CAD.
Could you tell me more about why you think the Focal Dome is better? Here in the US the systems are about the same price ($2600), if you get the Paradigm Millenia sub that matches the 5.0 system. I have been doing a lot of research and have basically narrowed it down to either the Focal Dome 5.1 or Millenia One + Sub, so any comparison you could give between the two systems would be awesome.
I worked at a dealer which sells both products, so I had the opportunity to listen to both systems nearly side by side. The Focal Dome system sounded much smoother through the treble, not recessed or 'less bright' just smoother, and a tad more detailed. The midrange on both systems is great, but both do lack some of the lower mid-bass larger drivers/cabinets provide. I would say the Paradigm system suffered from this less so than the Focal did. Aesthetics are entirely subjective, and I'm not particularly partial to one or the other, they both have a small footprint with attractive enclosures.

I would say the Focal Dome system is more "musical" where the Paradigm Millenia system is more "neutral". I demoed the system with a concert Blu-ray, which might be why the Focals sounded better although it's hard to say because different amps were used. The Focal Dome system was powered by an Arcam AVR400, a very nice and fairly expensive piece of kit, where the Paradigm Millenia were powered by one of the better NAD AVRs (T series, can't remember which, sorry). This could be the reason for the Focals sounding smoother.

If it were my money I'd go with the Paradigm system for local support, and to buy Canadian. The two systems are really too close to separate. For demo purposes the Focal system had a bit more wow factor to it. I like the neutral sound of Paradigm, and I love my Studio 100s.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:48 pm

HammerSandwich wrote:These look pretty nice for the money.

MikeC, what do you think of the DAC1? I was surprised to see it in your equipment list.
Yeah, like I said, I just wish the sub was cheaper. <$1000 would make it a great value package.

As for the Benchmark DAC1, it's... just there. I don't recall hearing big improvements when I made the change from an MSB DAC Link III (24/96). It just works, I trust it is neutral, and I never change any settings on it -- not that there are many to change.

diablo

Post by diablo » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:37 pm

Falkon wrote:
diablo wrote:
Could you tell me more about why you think the Focal Dome is better? Here in the US the systems are about the same price ($2600), if you get the Paradigm Millenia sub that matches the 5.0 system. I have been doing a lot of research and have basically narrowed it down to either the Focal Dome 5.1 or Millenia One + Sub, so any comparison you could give between the two systems would be awesome.
I worked at a dealer which sells both products, so I had the opportunity to listen to both systems nearly side by side. The Focal Dome system sounded much smoother through the treble, not recessed or 'less bright' just smoother, and a tad more detailed. The midrange on both systems is great, but both do lack some of the lower mid-bass larger drivers/cabinets provide. I would say the Paradigm system suffered from this less so than the Focal did. Aesthetics are entirely subjective, and I'm not particularly partial to one or the other, they both have a small footprint with attractive enclosures.

I would say the Focal Dome system is more "musical" where the Paradigm Millenia system is more "neutral". I demoed the system with a concert Blu-ray, which might be why the Focals sounded better although it's hard to say because different amps were used. The Focal Dome system was powered by an Arcam AVR400, a very nice and fairly expensive piece of kit, where the Paradigm Millenia were powered by one of the better NAD AVRs (T series, can't remember which, sorry). This could be the reason for the Focals sounding smoother.

If it were my money I'd go with the Paradigm system for local support, and to buy Canadian. The two systems are really too close to separate. For demo purposes the Focal system had a bit more wow factor to it. I like the neutral sound of Paradigm, and I love my Studio 100s.
Thank you falkon, that is very helpful. My use will probably be about 80/20 home theater/music, with no super high quality sources - mostly just digital music from mp3, streaming internet sources, or CD. The system will primarily be for watching TV and movies. Would you recommend one speaker over the other for this application? Also, which receiver would you recommend for both systems? I was thinking an Anthem 300 if I go with the Paradigms, and maybe a Yamaha or Marantz if I get the Focals - but very open to suggestions ($1,000 - $1,200 US price range). The Paradigms are designed in Canada but manufactured in China, whereas the Focals are designed and manufactured in France... They both appear to be very well designed and made, so I don't have a preference in that regard. Thanks for any advice!

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:54 pm

Excellent review -- I'll read more thoroughly when I can to get an idea of how the tweeters do.

Typo on page 7: "(Typ[ic]al adult female speaking voices..."

Falkon

Post by Falkon » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:04 pm

diablo wrote:Thank you falkon, that is very helpful. My use will probably be about 80/20 home theater/music, with no super high quality sources - mostly just digital music from mp3, streaming internet sources, or CD. The system will primarily be for watching TV and movies. Would you recommend one speaker over the other for this application? Also, which receiver would you recommend for both systems? I was thinking an Anthem 300 if I go with the Paradigms, and maybe a Yamaha or Marantz if I get the Focals - but very open to suggestions ($1,000 - $1,200 US price range). Thanks for any advice!
The Anthem MRX 300 is a great AVR that provides great sound to at great value. The ARC EQ system is fantastic. I would also consider something like the Denon AVR-3312, which is around the same price, also offers quality amplification as well as many features you may find useful like AirPlay and internet radio streaming. It uses the Audyssey EQ system which is also quite nice. Don't have experience with Marantz AVRs, and I've found Yamaha models in and below your price range to be underwhelming overall. Yamaha employs a very strange and archaic method of managing inputs where you can assign few if any of them to your source of choice. Incredibly frustrating during installation.

diablo

Post by diablo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:20 pm

Falkon wrote:
diablo wrote:Thank you falkon, that is very helpful. My use will probably be about 80/20 home theater/music, with no super high quality sources - mostly just digital music from mp3, streaming internet sources, or CD. The system will primarily be for watching TV and movies. Would you recommend one speaker over the other for this application? Also, which receiver would you recommend for both systems? I was thinking an Anthem 300 if I go with the Paradigms, and maybe a Yamaha or Marantz if I get the Focals - but very open to suggestions ($1,000 - $1,200 US price range). Thanks for any advice!
The Anthem MRX 300 is a great AVR that provides great sound to at great value. The ARC EQ system is fantastic. I would also consider something like the Denon AVR-3312, which is around the same price, also offers quality amplification as well as many features you may find useful like AirPlay and internet radio streaming. It uses the Audyssey EQ system which is also quite nice. Don't have experience with Marantz AVRs, and I've found Yamaha models in and below your price range to be underwhelming overall. Yamaha employs a very strange and archaic method of managing inputs where you can assign few if any of them to your source of choice. Incredibly frustrating during installation.
Great info - thanks! It sounds like I can't really go wrong with either the Focals or Paradigms for speakers, and Anthem or Denon providing the power...