Samsung Series 9 Ultra Portable Notebook

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Samsung Series 9 Ultra Portable Notebook

Post by Lawrence Lee » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:23 pm

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Re: Samsung Series 9 Ultra Portable Notebook

Post by frenchie » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:56 am

Thanks for the review Lawrence.
How fast does the laptop cool itself once the stress tests are stopped ? (ie how fast does it get quiet again ?)

exnomendei

Post by exnomendei » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:38 pm

Just a quick heads-up: the Macbook Air doesn't have a glossy screen - it's quite matte.

Also, good review. This notebook is pretty nice - I just think it looks kind of terrible. Apart from that, it's good competition for the Macbook Air - personal OS preferences aside.

I think you guys should test the Macbook Air - I know you don't usually do Apple products, but I think it would be a good foray into the 'other side'. They're really quiet (unless you run flash), and looking at the Air, their price points are not as high anymore.

Worker control

Post by Worker control » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:10 pm

Seems like the clear competitor is the Lenovo X1. I'm a big fan of the IBM/Lenovo in-keyboard pointing device, which maybe only Dell also has?

gb115b
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by gb115b » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:05 am

I bought this machine when it first came out... now the market looks to be set to be flooded with 'ultrabooks' as intel have branded them...

it's not that silent, but seems comparable with the macbook pro my g/f has...

wish the little details (montor and keyboard bexel) on the machine weren't glossy though... it certainly atttracts attention with it's profile...I'd like to have had a go with the 11inch variant (but i think that's a lot lower specced)

paha_paawo

Post by paha_paawo » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:44 am

Nice to see a laptop review, I'd like to see more of these.
Acoustics are often disregarded totally in many reviews on other sites (and SPL measurements are rare, except notebookcheck.net).
Knowledge about laptop's noise is very important before buying, as on stores there is too much background noise, and modification possibilities afterwards are slim.

GentleGiant
Friend of SPCR

Post by GentleGiant » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:40 am

I just got a Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - it has a matte-finish 12.5" display and with the $50 "Premium HD Display" upgrade you get an IPS display panel with essentially perfect off-angle colors.

It's not really bright, but it otherwise blows away any laptop screen I've used, including my 15" Macbook Pro (Penryn)'s LED backlit screen which was the previous best.

The resolution is the same 1366x768 as most of the current crop... The CPU is a 2.5 GHz i5 Sandy Bridge, graphics are HD 3000 and there are two slots for max 8GB RAM. With the 9-cell extended battery I get an indicated 10+ hours of battery life.

[edit to add CPU and battery details]